Sign in to follow this  
Mariopilot

OPEN BETA/COMMUNITY PROJECT: OSM World

This is a decision I can only applaud to! It requires a lot of ball to make such a decision with respect to the work you put into and the high quality of the results. Thank you very much, Mario.

So what should be the next step? How to do coordination? I for one will be participating in processing etc, and know my way around in QGIS. There should also be some standards to which everyone who will be participating should adher to in order to avoid problems. This could maybe be your guide?

Again, thank you very much!

Cheers,

Andreas

The fact that you know about QGIS is a definite plus! it is very much required!

Are you by chance familiar with Python? I have a very simple plugin built for the old QGIS 1.8, that does not work anymore in QGIS 2.x. Tried updating it, but do not know my way around! Also, the plugin can no longer be found on the net, as well as QGIS 1.8...

P.S. I am in the process of creating an extensive how-to guide. From there on we will coordinate who does what...

signature.jpg

No, unfortunately I do not know python very well. Whats the plugin called? Maybe there's a subsitute available?

By the way, new messages in your forum do not show in the "Latest Forum Topics" section on the index page of Avsim.

TH plugin is called "ringer". it transforms rings to polygons, so I can make a new layer with them for islands... other solutions include using ScenProc to remove them, and applying a difference between the two layers, but intersect is slow as heck... I asked over as stackexchange...maybe someone will help mew :)

I will inquiry Tom about5 it not showing there...

signature.jpg

I don't have any skills which might help but if you make a how-to-guide I will pitch in.

Seems there is no major comment about the current state of the scenery...

I am in the process of creating a how-to guide and also fighting my way through Python and QGIS plugins... I need badly to get that "ringer" to work, and maybe create a BLN exporter so we can get SBuilderX out of the equation...

Given the absence of comments, I may look into a way to make the scenery available already! That may attract more people willing to help on expanding it! maybe AVSim will have a way to accommodate a file that exceeds the maximum size allowed by "normal" library files!

signature.jpg

Indeed, no crashes at all. Everything works as it should with your scenery.

Looking forward to the guide!

Concerning the ringer plugin:

There are two possible solutions, one is to import the shapefile into a new GRASS mapset, which then automatically saves the inner rings as a new polygon layer. Or, and I think this one makes more sense, install a previous version of QGIS such as 1.8 from here: http://qgis.org/downloads/

And another option using the MMQGIS plugin, is to export the polygons as .csv from MMQGIS/Import & Export/Geometry Export to CSV File. The .csv file will contain the rings separated with a ring tag or something like that. Hence, you would then have to delete all lines from the .csv file that do not contain the word "ring" and reimport. However, QGIS wont automatically build the polygons as it can only import .csv files as point data. Maybe using a small script, you could format the ring edits directly to .bln by removing specific strings from each line.

Or, and I think this one makes more sense, install a previous version of QGIS such as 1.8 from here: http://qgis.org/downloads/

Andreas Paul

This is what I've been doing so far...

Also tried to convert the plugin ... I got it to load but rings are not added... all other options other that QGIS 1.8 are time consuming... and the process is already very lengthy... I will try and look  to make a one-click plugin that exports BLN ... as this saves the hassle of loading into SBuilderX and exporting... SBX always resets to its default folders and you have to spend lots of time just navigating to where you want to export your file...

signature.jpg

I have been in contact with the author and foun a solutiuon :) A plugin tool set called "digitizing tools" features an exact equivalent...

I will still attempt at building a BLN exporter as it will speed the process up by a lot :)

signature.jpg

It is very useful to get us rid of QGIS 1.8, as a serious bug involving tiny rings and the simplification tool (extensively used for this scenery) makes stuff disappear. I had to go about manually fixing stuff until QGIS 2.0 came along! Now I can build a how-to guide with less requisite programs... I will see if digitizing tools allows me to get rid of ScenProc as ring remover. Basically we need to separate islands from water features (applies only to lakes, coastlines are a lot messier), so "ringer" created polygons, that i saved in a new layer, then ScenProc got rid of the rings...

signature.jpg