Sign in to follow this  
Mariopilot

OPEN BETA/COMMUNITY PROJECT: OSM World

Hmm... Just worked on UK and Ireland today... but my FS9 stopped working... on the lookout for the cause! The BLN exporter makes the process much much faster :)

signature.jpg

Hi All,

Never mind my FS crashing...it had to do with an unlucky typo in my terrain.cfg and the fact that today is September 20 (change of seasons)... corrected now!

Anyway, the absence of data in UK and Ireland is now corrected, check the update folder here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lln7i95ghptng0x/AAAFiCOMMyhQVydgWG0rJkv3a?dl=0

Also, the UK region was used to test a more varied city poly texture usage... now 5 textures instead of 3. Seems to have a bit of a FPS impact, but it might be me!

AndyPaul, please report about landclass!

signature.jpg

AndyPaul, please report about landclass!

Well, the landclass by R. Taburet for the UK does not work. But this has nothing to do with OSM World but is related to the fact that it originally was made for FS2002. There is an old thread where this is stated here on avsim (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/50472-can-fs2002-landclass-be-used-in-fs2004/). I tested a small custom landclass made by myself and it showed up. So, anyone who is using the Landclass, you might as well delete it as it doesn't do anything, not even producing an error.

Anyway, the absence of data in UK and Ireland is now corrected, check the update folder here:

https://www.dropbox....gWG0rJkv3a?dl=0

Thanks very much, tested it and works, no crashes. Now in need of a better landclass without cities (still) ;-)

AndyPaul, great. It seems the aforementioned performance impact is caused by FS9 default London scenery... but further testing to prove :) Also, it is not the more varied city textures... done the same in Italy, where I have gazillions of add-on scenery packages, and it stays locket at VSynch FPS rates...

signature.jpg

Hey,

UK working great here! One question though: Is it possible to split the coastline into several files? As it is now, the OSM World coastline interfers with addon coastlines and this doesn't look pretty. Practical would be those files (maybe):

- Shetlands

- Faroer Islands

- Balears

- Iceland

So, the most important would be to basically have all major islands / island groups of Europe be in separate files while the continent itself can stay as is.

Can that easily be done? Also with respect to future OSM World contributions?

Cheers,

Andreas

Hmm, yes the method used for the coastlines is pretty brutal... instead it should me subdivided in small cells, for better workability... at least this is what I am planing to instruct in the how-to guide... I will see what I can do to split the file... but separating major islands should be doable without too much trouble (e.g. copy the original file, one delete islands, the other delete the rest...).

Community driven coverage extensions will probably divide coastlines in small 4x4 areas, as it approximately is for water polygons... The first region developed was Iceland (after dividing Europe in 4 quadrants, discovering later that 80% ended in a single quadrant...) and the area is structurally inconsistent with the rest of the scenery. I was discovering how to pull all this off..

I however have no intention of reworking the water polys as they are a major PITA....

signature.jpg

Hi all!

The Land Use polygons have been updated! Now they feature 5x texture types. Residential areas (big and small) have been split in half: randomly selected 50% of polygons, and applied a different texture to each half. I added "large city non-grid wet" and "medium city non-grid wet". You can find the zip file in the dropbox folder... make sure to delete the old one as the previous files contain the same geometry...

Also, the BLN Export plugin is no longer in the dropbox. You can now get it via QGIS plugin manager!

signature.jpg

Thank you Mario. I'm looking forward to the how-to, I have a lot of waterbodies and coastlines to adjust just for completing what I did for Colombian and Argentinean roads. In the meantime, thank you very much for the BLN Export plugin, it helps a lot.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thank you Mario. I'm looking forward to the how-to, I have a lot of waterbodies and coastlines to adjust just for completing what I did for Colombian and Argentinean roads. In the meantime, thank you very much for the BLN Export plugin, it helps a lot.

Thanks for your work! Yes I'm working on the how-to, I want to include it in the release! It is a lot of work as the process for coastlines and water bodies is the heaviest! It is actually what made this scenery so long in the making. Requires a lot of manually fixing things sadly... roads and streams (e.g. VTP line data) does not generally present this kind of difficulties. If in the meantime you have questions about your work with roads, this is THE place to ask, or drop me an e-mail/PM. If people catches on on developing this scenery, I m,ay add topics here for coastlines, water/land polys, roads etc... for all the stuff that the how to guide will of course not have included despite my best efforts :D

signature.jpg

Well, now that you say, I haven't dared yet with streams and land-use polys. Did you do anything special with those compared to roads?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

streams (of line type) are just the same as roads, same for railways and powerlines.

Coastlines (line type) differ in the fact that they have to be MANUALLY ( :Cry: ) inspected for harbor areas where to reduce thickness to acceptable levels...

water polygons need to have no rings, this involves several steps to obtain a "mesh"... and the complex geometry causes frequent errors in SBuilder's polygon cutting algorithms... fixing them is uber painful... this is necessary in order to have ocean flattens...same applies to lakes although they do not need flattening so we extract the rings and compile them as land polygons... this means that the amount of errors in SBuilder poly slicing is much smaller... still a pain however... their coastlines are straightforward, fixed texture at fixed diameter...

landuse polys generally come out nice and smooth, with the occasional error that is generally easy to locate and fix...

then there is the "core" files. not hard to do. import all AP* on sbuilder, and import into QGIS some way or the other (example, Sbuilder ->BLN. SBuilderX or ScenProc -> SHP. I do not feel like coding a BLN importer for QGIS just for this....). Then you get extent rectangles for all polys, and manually create a scm file (not hard to do, I have an excel sheet for it) to compile an area exclude that obliterates unwanted stuff that may invade airports (sadly, it kills the surrounding autogen too, but no other way)

The masking landclass is done via LWMViewer exported bitmaps and screen-captured worldlc.bgl...

signature.jpg

Oh dear, this sounds like so much work :o

Oh dear, this sounds like so much work :o

wonder why it took me so long to do it? Now you know... it was born as a "hey, just find a conversion algorithm!" project, and unraveled to be this troublesome pain in the neck...

signature.jpg

Hi All!

I thin k we have a final release version! it is now uploaded! for those that have the beta one there is a small update to the masking landclass, and the Dev-Kit in a separate pack! It will be included in the EURW release as well! Check the dropbox folder :)

I am in talk with Tom Allesworth to see if AVSim can somehow accommodate the 280MB package! If the guys around this thread wish to start working on the next area pack, let's set up! It seems Lus Miguel has something done for South America! so that may be the next package :)

signature.jpg

Hi Mario, I am looking forward to testing it!

Best,

Sascha