Sign in to follow this  
Mariopilot

OPEN BETA/COMMUNITY PROJECT: OSM World

Hi All,

I keep on working on the coastlines. I expected to be able to do more during the Christmas vacations, but fate wanted our electrical junction box to be set on fire on january 1, 12:15AM until January 4, 11:30 AM...  thanks to oversized amateur fireworks and a construction site first destroying the wall behind the electric meters and then dumping trash bags over them... anyway it appears i am about 50% with them, then it will be time for the lakes :)

signature.jpg

we left where we needed to check the VTP polys for Sbuilder generated errors...the process involving inspection of the files via LWMViewer...

IIRC, what is needed is to check for points located just at LOD8 lines right? I think this can be automated right at the BLN files. Now, what's exactly a LOD8 line?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

in SBuilder, you can turn on gridlines. View->Display grid->Grid LOD8, or just press F8.

I do not recall the definition of a LOD8 square aside it beoing approx. 1Km^2

Then, you can start checking the file via LWMViewer, also turning on gird. if a square is "filled" then it is wrong, unless it lies entirely inside a polygon.

I suppose I could automate the process at BLN level, but I need to find ouf which way to move a point. It depends on the geometry and where it lies with respect to the LOD8 line (it will unlikely be exactly there until "snap" is applied in SBuilder...). Said operations go way beyond my understanding of the Python code used to program the BLN export tool... it may as well not be possible without waiting for hours for the program to export a small area... Which leads to the temptation of exporting BLNs for each LOD8 area, or ASM files directly isnatead and then apply a batch compile.... but then I need a small team of programmers to go this way :)

signature.jpg

IIRC, what is needed is to check for points located just at LOD8 lines right? I think this can be automated right at the BLN files. Now, what's exactly a LOD8 line?

Luis, did you sort out the fixing?

I did not hear back form anyone form some time (well, I guess it's been only me and you working on this the past few times). If not, you can always send me the SBuilder files, and i'll fix the landuse polys myself :).

I am slowly progressing with the coastlines, and then I will move on to the lakes. I have to say that I totally hate working on the coastlines. After South America, that WILL be released, and thanks to you, Luis, I am feeling the urge to return to aircraft developing...

If someone more wants to work on OSM packs, I will NOT work on the coastlines anyway! However the low interest will probably have it stop here...

signature.jpg

I'd love to do the US and Canada, as I've some annoyances with the UT dataset, but sadly, I don't know of any free data of sufficient quality and coverage to use... Sadly, OSM data for much of the rural US is rather poor and despite initially planning not to, a large scenery design company (ORBX) recently ended up buying data for those regions when their OSM based scenery got panned... So that is why I've stayed silent.

Hi!

It can be much more tedious than complex! when it comes to line features (roads, streams, railroads & power lines) it is in 90% of the cases just a matter of getting the data from a program to the other... when it comes to polygon features it can get pretty labor-intensive (thanks to a few bugs in the SBuilder polygon cutting algorithms). These are coastlines, lakes and big rivers, and land use data, although the latter is far less problematic than the water features. Fact is I am so full of doing coastline work, that I do not plan of doing it ever again after South America. If you guys feel like taking the challenge with the water features we may decide upon an area to work on. It appear it will be North America already. It is split in 3 parts, that is: Atlantic coast, central area,  Pacific coast. If we want to get one completed we have to settle on one of those. Then if our brains did not explode, move on to the next!

This is a community project, so, the more that get in, the more likely it will move forward!

signature.jpg

Great project Mario, thank you for starting it.

I use OSM scenery in Xplane 10. Its look very nice. There is a small tool to conevrt OSM map to Xplane scenery.

I like to see OSM scenery in Fs2004 or FSX. Maybe better in fs2004 (better performance).

I am gonig to download your western EU OSM scenery and install in my fs2004.

See you.

Ivo Crni

Luis, did you sort out the fixing?

I did not hear back form anyone form some time (well, I guess it's been only me and you working on this the past few times). If not, you can always send me the SBuilder files, and i'll fix the landuse polys myself :).

Well, I was trying to find out an algorithm that could help in identifying the points over LOD8 lines (the 39 km grid, right? Or is it the 1.2 km grid?), and implementing it in Matlab (because this is all I know about programming), but I haven't been successful even in knowing mathematically what's a LOD8 line :( . After this, would be a couple of clicks and all would be solved... hopefully.

In the meantime, I've just uploaded the landuse .SBP files to Dropbox.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

In the meantime, I've just uploaded the landuse .SBP files to Dropbox.

Great, I'll keep on the coastlines. If by then you did not work it out, I'll just do it. If I recall correctly, it is the 39Km grid in the case of VTP polys. for LWM, it is the 1.2Km one, therefore finding them is way easier in the VTP case. Also, they occur way less frequently in VTP given this...!

signature.jpg

Yeah, sort of... I am so fed up with coastline work that I have to force myself to work on it...

Eventually we will get South America, and if somebody decides to join in and work on additional areas things could gain momentum again... please do the coastlines! I do not feel like doing it wever agin after south america is released!

I am alternating between this and a new aircraft project. Otherwise I think I will never work on this anyway!

signature.jpg

I am so fed up with coastline work that I have to force myself to work on it...

I thought I was the only one who had enough trying to find how not to leave points over LOD8 gridlines... Is it viable to update some kind of preview, Mario? Or is it better to finish coastlines first? This because we all agree European roads are too wide, but sometimes I think Southamerican roads are too narrow if we compare with, let's say, UT.

Best regards,

one is to wide, the other is too narrow... :t0103:

Luis, wasn't it you who made roads in South America? i do not have the sbuilder files for them, so you can go about fixing them if you like :). Just widen up the major roaqds, it should do!

I may update those then...some day... that will take way less time especially because it only involves the bigger ones (tiny roads can't be any tinier...), probably will reduce 70m to 40m, and decrement by 5m instead of 10m. (in FS9 a pixel on the ground is approx 5m so...)

problem is that coastlines and lakes cannot be "isolated" so when done with coastlines i have to work on the darn lakes... but those are supposedly speedier thanks to a much aggressive smoothing algorithm (they get a +10m buffer to ensure rivers are always at least 2px wide... this greatly reduces the amount of errors, but if we do the same for coastlines all the nice detail is gone), plus the VTP lines for the lakes are one-type 30m all around... while ocean coastlines change around and have manually added stuff...

signature.jpg

Luis, wasn't it you who made roads in South America? i do not have the sbuilder files for them, so you can go about fixing them if you like :). Just widen up the major roads, it should do!

Yes, it was me. But I'd like some feedback from more people before doing so. The only feedback I've got is yours. I settled for more realistic widths, but then you have the issue of ground texture resolution, which it's starting to make me dislike my own work.

Best regards,

Yes, it was me. But I'd like some feedback from more people before doing so. The only feedback I've got is yours. I settled for more realistic widths, but then you have the issue of ground texture resolution, which it's starting to make me dislike my own work.

Alright then. In my advice they are a little narrow in fact...

I suggest that smaller roads can keep the width i gave, (between 10 and 15) as anyway there's no way to get around the texture res issue.

My "big" roads range from 35 to 70. Perhaps we should go only to 50? e.g.:

secondary 30 (was 35)

primary 40 (was 50)

motorway 45 (was 60)

trunk 50 (was 70)

I do not know how these compare to your work... maybe wider!

Also, I had a set of road textures modified from Evo without the green borders, they mix with differend land classers better (I use alpha chanels, Sascha seems not to). If using Evo, I also have a modified shoreline texture that draws transparent in water as originally in FS. this is important as narrow rivers and lakes do not get covered by an opaque line... may include these in OSM World South america and an update pack for W. Europe (narrower roads, and I found out I need to modify some AFRI files that cause double coastlines in the area near gibraltar in Spain...

signature.jpg

Does anybody know what road widths does UT (USA or Europe) use? Their roads don't look too narrow or too wide. That would be easier than guessing...

Best regards,