Sign in to follow this  
dukeav

Traffic Optimizer for P3D

AI traffic can be a FPS killer at even moderate settings. This situation has not changed much since FSX. Many of us like to decent amount of traffic around, but this finally becomes a tussle between volume and FPS.

To help this situation I have written a program which automatically tries to manage the traffic. The logic is pretty simple, you give the program a target number of AI aircraft, by default 150. Every 60 seconds the program will check how many AI Aircraft are there and then it will delete AI Aircraft above this number. Aircraft farthest from your aircraft are deleted first, so traffic around you should remain largely unchanged. 

You can change the target number to your choice based upon your hardware.

Traffic Settings within P3D:

You should set the the traffic density in P3D to something which gives you decent traffic around you. For example I use MyTraffic, so I set the density to 35%, which I think reflects RW traffic. In my situation my FPS goes from ~12 to ~18 with this program in KJFK.

How to use:

Start P3D, let it come up fully

Start AirTrafficManager.exe

"Check" the "Auto Optimize" check-box

The first clean-up will happen 15 seconds after you check the check-box, and after 10-15 seconds of that you will notice your FPS increase.

I have not programmed in VB.Net for ages, so if you are going to try this out then you are a beta-tester :)

Notes:

1. This program runs separately from P3D so hopefully will not crash it.

2. If you get a message in the console saying unable to connect to P3D, please re-start AirTrafficManager.

3. Although the check for AI Aircraft is done every 60 seconds, the clean-up happens 15 seconds after the 60 seconds

Requirements:

1. P3D v2.3

2. FSUIPC

Acknowledgements:

1. Uses the FSUIPC Client DLL for .NET by Paul Henty

• Upvote 2

I am using WOAI and I have not tried your program yet.

...bottom line, I know what it takes to code or at least I remember, so my hat is off to you!

Well done!

I wish you well.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

UPDATE: Man this program is beautiful...in heavily congested areas I get my FPS back up to pretty much normal...

For example, flying around the BWI terminal control area it had about 175 AI units at 20% for my AI...

Since I fly GA, traffic is realy just there for me to not feel alone and add to the immersion so I just set it to 30 AI, it cut out majority of AI that were dozens of miles away and even so, the closest AI it removed was 40nm away!  BTW, I love how it mentions how many got deleted, how many there currently are, the furthest deleted and the closest deleted, great stuff!

This tool is just great.  I'm a C++ software dev but haven't dived into the SDK though but would love to help out with this.  A couple things to make it more dynamic:

1.  Make it so it can autostart with P3D using exe.xml, but would required #2

2.  Make it so that it listens for P3D kinda like ActiveSkyNext does, this allows you to close/open P3D at will while leaving the tool running or to do #1

Beyond that it would be just about perfect.  Great work!

• Upvote 1

You should sell your idea to LM. I've always wondered why the AI Traffic volumes were 0 to 100 percent. That makes no sense, since 50% at KALB is a small number whereas 50% in the NYC area is still .enough to bring any system to its knees. The percentage  approach is fine but there also should be a maximum number of AI aircraft, like what you have apparently done. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@hawkeye - the xml part, to auto-start, needs an installer to be created. Maybe sometime...

@jabloomf - its strange that LM did not consider optimizing the AI traffic themselves. What I do is basically a hack, but LM can do much more in terms of moving the AI traffic control logic out of the main program thread itself.

• Upvote 1

Could you make a dual version : P3D and FSX ?

This one is great for FSX users too.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

What a great idea!

I am wondering if this works with any traffic addon? I use Ultimate Traffic 2 with P3D.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Ultimate Traffic 2 already includes a "traffic limiter" utility, although I suspect that this probably culls traffic from anywhere, so you might see an AI plane disappear right in front of you at a large airport!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

does this just delete AI at will no matter if for instance they are heading towards you and may be becoming into view?

This sounds like a great tool Luke. AI traffic is the biggest hit to my performance. I am also interested in an FSX version. If not, this tool may be what gets me off the fence to join the P3D party.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4