Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Addon scenery & empty texture folders

I wonder if someone would kindly enlighten me..... I've read that it is important that certain addon scenery folders should either definitely not have, (or definitely have, even if it is empty), a texture folder sitting next to the scenery/bgl folder, but I don't really understand when there should be an empty texture folder along with the scenery folder and when there mustn't be. Some installation intructions give dire warnings about getting this wrong, but I haven't worked out the whys and wherefores of 'to have an empty texture folder' and not..If anyone can explain this, it would be very helpful. Thanks,Martin

Guest bobsk8

The program looks for both a scenery folder and a texture folder. If the texture folder is not there, even if it is empty, you will not be able to load the scenery.

Not true Bob, you will just have a scenery with no textures. The one type of scenery files you don't need (or want) a texture folder is for landclass files as they will cause a memory leak "looking" for the textures (sure it can be explained better by Holger or Dick)If the scenery is designed using the default textures (which is rare) then it won't need a texture folder as it uses the default ones.For more info check out the scenery design forum, lots more there.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir Internationalhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/111201.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/111202.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Yes, it was the landclass files/ memory leak question that I remembered reading about when I posted the question, but I couldn't recall the details. I was a bit confused why some 'non-texture' scenery had empty texture folders and others just the scenery folder. Presumably if scenery has been posted to AVSIM, or wherever, with an empty texture folder included, I should just leave it there? Is there any harm in having an empty texture folder present in non-landclass scenery?Thanks,Martin