Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

No Stutters....EXCEPT ..........

...when I change views. I really have smooth flying in 2D cockpit, VC, Spot, and Active Camera Fly By. Everything stops, stutters, adjusts, and resumes for about 4 seconds or so when I change views. My "re-draws" of plane texture and scenery texture take seemingly forever. Are any of you experiencing the same thing? I'm using a Dell 2.8 gig, 1024 of Ram, NVidia 6800 GT OC at 256 video Ram (latest drivers), and I wonder why the serious hesitation when I change views. What should I adjust my texture bandwidth to, or my video card settings? I've tried many different settings. Do any of you have the magic setting?Any thoughts or suggestions? I would certainly appreciate your experienced opinions.

Lol, was contemplating the same thing just this very minute. Having similar problems with PMDG's new Beechcraft1900c. Smooth flying all the way, except when I change views - then it's stuttering for about 3-5 seconds. ricardo

Guest bobsk8

Have you tried rolling back your drivers one notch? I loaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my 6800 GT a couple of weeks ago, and they were not good. Rolled back to the orginals ( which is easy to do in XP, if you have it) and everything went back to normal.

No it's not the drivers. The problem comes from the fact that a lot of designer's are using these massive 32 bit files for their textures and it's degrading visual performance. You can convert textures to the "lighter" DXT3 textures and that helps a lot, but it is a lengthy and tedious process. Some painters offer DXT3 textures to begin with and some outfits thankfully, like Dreamfleet and LDS offer the option of one or the other.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I dont know about that Lee, I have a similar rig, same video card, current WHQL drivers, and I don't have this sort of issue with the B1900D or even more complex birds. Havent' done any converting to DXT3.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest ThrottleUp

I too am having this problem with my add-on planes.The only add-on that does not exhibit this problem (at least for me) is the IFDG A3X series.POSKYs 767-300 & the PMDG NG737s wing & engine textures take about 3-4 seconds to load if I select a wingview.... :(But - I find the problem vanishes if water-detail is set to "low"...is it the same for you guys? But then who wants to fly with low water-detail!?Perhaps more RAM will do the trick?....

to regulary Defrag your harddisk is also a good option and be sure that your memory managment is optimized for programs and NOT for system- cache. this is done in your system managment console under WinXP. i don

Guest bobsk8

I have basically the same PC with all the original textures except clouds, and I get no stuttering at all. I did, when I upgraded drivers, until I rolled them back.

Two significant magic bullets for me were the addition of more RAM (I now have a 2 GB machine) plus a very effective utility called FSAutoStart created by Avsim's own Ken Salter (moderator of this forum). His utility will gracefully shut down WinXP services and other programs you select, defrag the remaining RAM, and then start FS2004 followed by any other add-ons you normally run with the sim. This incredible little utility has really made a huge improvement in performance and I suggest you download it and give it a try. DougDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/800FSB)2GB DDR SDRAM74GB SATA, 10k RPM (C: ) & 120GB SATA (D: )256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT (Catalyst 5.3)Audigy 2 ZS SoundMS Force Feedback 2WindowsXP Pro (SP2)DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I guess there are two major issues here:1. where you installed FS9 and2. how much memory your graphics card is actually using for FS9 textures.You seem to be aware of the possibility to make your grphics card work more efficiently with FS9, so I'll just say I use a bandwidth setting of between 250-400 (still experimenting with that one).If you have installed FS9 on the same partition as your windows drive, that will also cause soem stuttering.I'm running on a AMD 2200+ with 512mb memory and a Radeon 9600 128mb and it seems even people with monster machines have about the same amount of stuttering as I do (which is a comfort, lol).Somebody mentioned that the problem seemed to disappear when he set water textures to "low", and I suspect it's once more an issue with the graphics card memory: low water textures=more memory for aircraft textures.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did roll back the driver...not much difference. I tried turning down the water quality, and again, I didn't see much difference. The FSstart program looks interesting...but complicated. I don't mind trying it as long as I don't screw up anything on the computer. Perhaps I'll try that this afternoon. It does look like the most promising solution. I didn't thing that going beyond 1 gig of Ram had any significant difference! At least that's what I read some time ago. It certainly will be interesting to see how Microsoft handles the "Fluidity Factor", as I call it, in FS2006.In my opinion, and I hope yours, I'll shout out to Microsoft....GIVE US A HIGH FLUIDITY FACTOR AND YOUR PROMISE OF "AS REAL AS IT GETS" WILL BE MUCH CLOSER TO THE TRUTH.

I still say it's the textures themselves. Take a plane like the LDS 767 and create a DXT3 version and a 32 bit version of the same livery, they have both available. Then alternate between the two in the same situation. You'll see the difference in performance.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

stan,another solution is to change the type of your sound acceleration within directx. By default it is set to full acceleration. Changing this to standard or basic acceleration will take alot of load from your cpu. I think you have an buildin soundchip on your mainboard and this chip doesn

Guest nutmeat

In the hardware forum, there is a thread on "texture lag" upon which I gave my opinion as to why this occurs.In a nutshell, the condition is this: whenever you change your view, the sim must go to the hard drive for the textures. There is no pre-caching available as this all takes place in real time when the user performs the switch. The sim must wait for the texture data and then resolve it to the graphics hardware. This all takes time resulting in the "stutter". The only real help for this is a fast hard disk and smaller textures data, as has been suggested. Even with a super fast hard drive, you will still see this "burp" on certain aircraft.The reasons are complex and have to do with memory management within the sim. You can prove that this is caused by aircraft textures being loaded by simply watching your hard drive access light and switching views. If you hit the "w" key (I think it is; I've mapped mine to hardware switches) to remove the cockpit panel and then do the same, the hard disk is not accessed as there are no aircraft textures to display. This does not necessarily hold true in the VC cockpit as that uses different code and algoritms for managing internal memory.Larry S.