Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

New Aerocaches - How to post them

This may be considered a little off-topic for this particular thread, but I thought it the best place to begin:

When Microsoft removed the Aerocaches from Flight back in October 2014, a player by the name TheOldCoot41 (with help from F100c & MustangJoe83) started his own Aero Game just for the fun of it.

Sadly, on the 8th February 2015, TheOldCoot41, better known to many of us as Art Jones, passed away in hospital following complications after a long fight against illness.

In the following March and as a 'Salute to Coot' I started my own, just for fun AeroHunt Game which runs during the Autumn to Spring - I take Summer off to deal with real life work.

There are still a few of us playing the AeroHunt game within Flight - details can be found on Lordnum's Flight Experience website. Feel free to join us!

:smile:   :hi:   :smile:

There are still a few of us playing the AeroHunt game within Flight - details can be found on Lordnum's Flight Experience website. Feel free to join us!

:smile:   :hi:   :smile:

By the way, multi-player still works.  I know this because my fellow AeroHunters and & I and several others still meet up regularly to go off and explore…

I've published all the Aerocaches that were pending, so please take a look and make sure they are still working correctly.  I had to fix up some of my publishing code.  If something didn't get published properly I have a backup of the original data, so please just let me know the name of the one that is missing or wrong.

Thanks, I collected them now, they all work fine. There are 363 aerocaches in total right now.

I just found out about the new aerocaches being added to the sim and I just want to say a big Thank you to whoever is getting them up and running. I tried out a few of the new ones and I am just very happy that we are having new ones. Thanks to everyone involved. I love aerocaches.

Thanks for your effort AlbacoreTunaMan! I love aerocaches.

BTW how do you see what the new are when you haven't all of them "cached"?

And what file do I backup in case of a new install after a crash to save the aerocaches I hunt?

There are a couple more fresh ** Pending ** aerorcaches out there today.  More to follow.

Hi

There is something odd in these new aerocaches, firstly when I select the 'Desert Power' cache and click start, it informs that the cache cannot be found, then if I select the 'Lyons Lions' and after that the 'Desert Power', it starts the aerocache near where the 'Lyons Lions' cache is???

Hope you understand what I mean. So in short 'Lyons Lions' works just as it should but 'Desert Power' doesn't.

-eelis-

The problem with Desert Power is the airport code.  I mistakenly used the ICAO code for Boulder City Municipal Airport "KVBU".  Microsoft used the old airport code "61B".  The effect is that it does not recognize the starting point.  The temporary workaround is to manually move your plane to the starting airport.  The Aerocache editor program does not allow users to modify a cache once it's been posted.  Perhaps someone admin rights can help?

Thanks,

Tom

There are now several more *Pending* Aerocaches out there for you to check out.  If the Aerocache Editor allowed the cache owner to re-edit, I would tweak these all a bit.  It's hard to get the icon to appear just where you want it placed. 

What a lovely tribute to a former member whose name I'd heard many times, but sadly whose acquaintance I never made. I am glad to see that Flight is still popular, albeit with a (perhaps diminishing) small crowd.

I'm interested in finding some additional Aerocaches. Must I upgrade to the latest Toolkit version? Also, how exactly do you fly in multiplayer mode? I thought it shut down since a long time ago. I remember the good ol' days, taking off in an Icon, buzzing Hilo Bay then landing on that infamous tarmac between the cruise ship and the warehouses at the docks...

Also, how exactly do you fly in multiplayer mode?

Hi Jarsky.

You just choose official GFWL mode in Toolkit and there you go, of course you then have only Hawaii and Alaska to fly and not the whole world.

-eelis-

Hi Jarsky.

You just choose official GFWL mode in Toolkit and there you go, of course you then have only Hawaii and Alaska to fly and not the whole world.

-eelis-

Oh, OK - it really is that simple then! I just assumed that the MS servers shut down years ago and that multiplayer was facilitated via special software. Thank you eelis!

Another question though: how do Aerocaches work? I tried the non-GFWL version but all of the Aerocaches for Hawaii and Alaska were unavailable: apparently I lacked the Hawaii and Alaska DLC (I was awarded the Hawaii DLC for beta participation and I purchased the Alaska DLC, plus I use Flight Toolkit). Then, to my horror it deleted my profile but I was able to use a backup which was fine as I'd made no progress since creating that backup. I think Flight actually backs up the previous profile anyway.

Either way, I couldn't get Aerocaches to work. I always enjoyed them because (1) it was a challenging activity, something different from just point-to-point flying to find, and (2) it fitted well with the flight/exploration idea (I enjoyed reading about these places).

There are now several more *Pending* Aerocaches out there for you to check out.  If the Aerocache Editor allowed the cache owner to re-edit, I would tweak these all a bit.  It's hard to get the icon to appear just where you want it placed. 

Thanks, I tried them and most of them are working fine. The only problematic aerocache was the Desert Power one as you already noted. Apart from that, Lyons Lions only seems to show placeholder images to me in the menu.

Out of interest, can anyone help me re: my previous comment?

• Official GFWL version = no Aerocaches available; cannot connect to Flight Server, so nothing for Hawaii or Alaska.
  • Non-GFWL version = Aerocaches are all unavailable; apparently I lack the Hawaii and Alaska DLC even though I was awarded the Hawaii DLC for beta participation and I purchased the Alaska DLC, plus I use Flight Toolkit latest version. This method also = deletion of my Profile but I reinstated from a backup.

Any help greatly appreciated!