Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

RealAir Decathlon vs. freeware?

Guest ferguson

An honest question, not intented as a knock on payware. I downloaded this very nice Decathlon from Airhead:http://airhead.hfdd.com/airworthy/04_8kcab_downloads.phpAnd I am astounded by the quality. It is visually a gem, with a great VC, animated pilot, lots of attention to details. The flight files seem ok to this intermediate flyer, but perhaps I don't fly enough to really recognize small details in performance.What does the step up to the payware Decathlon from RealAir bring me?

Guest Jimbofly

I've had that aircraft for some time now, as well as the RealAir one.That aircraft is pure and simple payware quality, no doubt about it! If you're happy with it there's no real need for the RealAir one, as I personally believe that the Airhead one is excellent.I actually use the Airhead one more than the RealAir one, but that's simply my preference. Your preference may vary.The RealAir Decathlon is a masterpiece, but a little harder on the framerate than the Airhead one (hence the reason I use the Airhead version).Sorry if I couldn't be of any real help, but it does really come down to personal preference as they are at least as good as each other.James

Guest bobsk8

Not sure how good the Freeware Decathlon is, but I have tried the Real Air Version as well as the real life version of the Decathlon, and I own the Scout from Real Air which shares some of the same characteristics, and they are both excellent and I have no issue with frame rates on any Real Air Product I own. Download the Freeware and try some spins in both directions, outside loops, hammerheads, and most important , slipping crosswind approaches. If it can't do any of these, then it isn't like the Real Air Product, or the real airplane.

I agree that the freeware Decathlon is first rate... but the RealAir one has got a level of perfection that goes another step beyond.The instruments, both in 2d and VC view are about as good as any I've seen. The outside model is really good.What I might suggest, however, is getting the RealAir Scout instead..it has the same level of quality, plus:You get a wheel and float plane, and it comes with flaps and avionics, which makes it an all round bush plane instead of just an aerobatics VFR aircraft. It also has a nice spot of detail scenery thrown in for good measure.

Bert

Guest Zevious Zoquis

The major advantage of the realair version to me is that it has RA's famous "spinnable" flight dynamics. It also has slightly sharper VC guages. But no doubt about it, the freeware one is very close and it's a nice plane to fly too. Just not as "aerodynamic." I too get slightly better framerates (specifically in the VC) in the freeware one. Personally, I'd recommend using the free one and spending the money on Realair's Spitfire (which imho is about the best add-on plane I've ever flown) or the SF260 (which imho will be the best add-on plane I've ever flown once the new update comes out which incorporates the incredible Spitfire VC guages and the realview effects).

Guest aca_dia

Speaking of the SF260 upgrade... Any news of that? I thought a few weeks back people were saying it would be out in a matter of days. Is there any official info on the project from RealAir?

>Speaking of the SF260 upgrade... Any news of that? I thought>a few weeks back people were saying it would be out in a>matter of days. Is there any official info on the project>from RealAir? I'm wondering too! :D The SF260's VC has been excellent fps wise with the new Alaska/Canada scenery, not to mention how well this new scenery looks out the "panaramic" wide vision clear canopy!L.Adamson

I have both. The Airhead one is very well done, and superb quality for a freeware offering; but if you give these aircraft more than a cursory circuit of the field you will soon see where RealAir have a distinct edge both in terms of performance and visual rendering.But as a fervent supporter of freeware and one who has enormous respect for the RealAir products: I can only recommend you get both!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest ferguson

Thanks for all the feedback. I will probably get the SF260 to experience the "real" experience, and enjoy the freeware Decathlon for what it is.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Yeah, I get great fps in the SF260 VC, but those guages don't update at anywhere near the smooth rate of the SPitfire and that's what I'm looking forward too... :)Waiting patiently for the upgrade. I'm hoping the delay is to add some nice details or something... :D

Due to a family bereavement there has been a delay in finishing the SF260 update, but we hope to have the Marchetti updgrade ready quite soon. Apologies for the delay.Rob Young www.realairsimulations.com

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest bobsk8

I also use the SF-260 when I fly around The new UT Alaska scenery, to get a better view of everything. What really knocks me out about the SF-260, along with all it's other great qualities, is the engine sound. It is the most realistic engine sound for a plane with that engine, that I have ever heard. Great piece of software.

Since most people do not have any experience flying the simulated aircraft acquisition of the product should be from a source that has a reputation for "real as possible" flight dynamics. However, if a mild illusion of flight, coupled with visual elements, is the objective then almost anything that looks good will do.I stick with RealAir products because of the flight dynamics. The entire flight simulation experience is an exercise in imagination. To be UNSURE of the reality of flight really makes the experience one of just admiring visual elements. Flight dynamics is an extremely complex art. Examine the aircraft cfg file and the air file. Enough wierd vaiables to put off almost anyone. The proper manipulation fo these variables is an art that few have mastered. RealAir has demonstrated that talent.Because of the complexity of flight dynamics, almost all addons now concentrate on the simpler scenery and aircraft visual elements. I hope that this focus does not cause Microsoft to abandon improvments to the flight software. Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Sorry to hear that Rob. NP about the delay, take as long as you want.

Guest aca_dia

No need for an apology! There are at least 32.4 zillion things in life more important than flights sim. Thanks for the update.Douglas