Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

GTN 750 is excellent (mini review)

I recently purchased the P3D version of Flight1's new GTN 750 gauge.  At present this is a popup window in most VC's, because no one (except Milviz I believe) really has a nice 3d integration yet... I'm sure it will change.  F1 included a simple config gauge which creates a 2d popup in any plane in your inventory.  There are other options like auto tune course etc in the config program.

I'm still an RXP user in FSX but this new GTN gauge makes me consider the FSX version.... it's that good.  The navdatabase is updatable with the proper file or files (pretty much like RXP 530/430W).  The touchscreen format works very well with user mouse input.  While at present there is no linkgps=on equivalent (linkgps=on allowed the data from RXP to display on third party gauges like the Carenado TBM etc), F1 is working on adding these variables so the gauge will be fully compatible with third party aircraft.  I believe they are also working on a crossfill to share the flight plan between the 750 and 650.  Realair are going to integrate these units into their products (in the form of a 3d gauge bezel like they did with RXP)  as well as their upcoming Turbine Duke v2.

Anyway, the product does some really cool things that my old RXP unit never could.  GTN can place airways into your flight plan, you just add the first fix on the airway, then click that fix, and a sub menu pops up where you can add the airway, then add the exit point.  It shortens the amount of work, especially compared to the old RXP where you'd have to add the fixes along the airway if it bent.  GTN also does a nice job of calculating Vertical Speed Required, a bit of a VNAV that RXP claimed to have, but I could never get it working.  VSR readout can be configured to display on the main map navigation page, and or the unit will give you a flashing MSG when it's time to descend at your profile rate.  You can also do track, heading, or north up in the map view.  There's a few more features new and improved from the RXP but I haven't gone over the entire manual yet.

The price was a bit frustrating for me as it's $15 OVER the cost of the FSX version... seems the new trend is to sell two separate versions and jack the price up for P3D... argh.  But since I couldn't have RXP in P3D this was worth it to me.

Anyway I recommend it for P3D and once more devs integrate it will be lovely in both sims.  It's definitely better than the old 530/430W especially once F1 adds the variables to talk to third party addons.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It is really fantastic, I agree.

But I'm just a little frustrated at the lack of aircrafts where we can natively place it in to the VC.

The only 2 aircraft I have a good VC integration with the GTN750, are the Milviz C310 (thank the maker, for that 'free radio' panel), and the Ants Aircraft Tecnam.

Ryan,

Nice review.

Does it have Terrain Alerts and Traffic Alerts?

Glad they are working on adding Linkgps and crossfill.

BTY,

"VNAV that RXP claimed to have, but I could never get it working."

It works well for me ...

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Does it have Terrain Alerts and Traffic Alerts?

Yes, but it only comes with Terrain mapping for North America.  Europe has no terrain map unless you buy it (DVD only) from Garmin, a bit of a downfall for non-North American flyers.

Craig,

"Europe has no terrain map unless you buy it (DVD only) from Garmin, a bit of a downfall for non-North American flyers."

Do you happen to know how much the Garmin 750 European Terrain DVD costs?

Best Regards,

Craig,

"Europe has no terrain map unless you buy it (DVD only) from Garmin, a bit of a downfall for non-North American flyers."

Do you happen to know how much the Garmin 750 European Terrain DVD costs?

$25 - you buy the GTN Trainer DVD which comes with a WW terrain database.

Bert

Bert,

"$25 - you buy the GTN Trainer DVD which comes with a WW terrain database."

That is within reach.

Thanks for the info.

Best Regards,

$25 - you buy the GTN Trainer DVD which comes with a WW terrain database.

Maybe in USA. I had to pay over 80 Euros including shipping costs when i bought it from a dealer here in Austria.

I think it's only 20 bucks (usd) for the worldwide terrain

For the navdata you can get it from Garmin, or if you have a worldwide.bin file or AVTN_WW_DB.bin (one and the same)

I've contacted Garmin directly and they don't care which file you use, as long as it's in the simulator.

About the integration - it's very new so it will take time for more devs to add it.

When RXP came out it was 2D panel prime time.... 2d edits were simple... VC takes longer... Patience is key.

edit:  Here's an example of the terrain page and there's also aural warnings that change as you get into the red zone...

obstacleahead.jpg

obstacklpullup.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The only 2 aircraft I have a good VC integration with the GTN750, are the Milviz C310 (thank the maker, for that 'free radio' panel), and the Ants Aircraft Tecnam.

Both the C310R and the B55 have "full 3D integration" available as a separate (inexpensive) update.

Eaglesoft's Liberty XL2 now has "full 3D integration" available also.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

seems the new trend is to sell two separate versions and jack the price up for P3D... argh.

If you consider that once a 3rd party developer creates an add-on for FSX, that's it, unless the add-on has some bugs that need fixing. FSX was basically abandoned by MS and never changes.

The difference with P3d is that LM is constantly changing it and that requires constant vigilance and upgrades for every 3rd party add on.

Hi Ryan,

Those of us who use RXP for FSX will not have to worry about also installing the GTN750 in FSX when it comes to messing up any RXP files or over writing anything. I always cringe when installing new programs into FSX because it seems like something always breaks....haha!

I'm really hoping F1 markets an alternative panel for their KA200 that incorporates the new GTN gauges...now that would be FANTASTIC.

Cheers

Martin

Good review...I've used it for a couple months.Its fast, so fast. Flight plans put in quick,terminal and IP charts assessed quickly. Some of the features the OP listed I haven't checkout yet.

I make it half the size and stick it in the bottom right corner. Wish it could import flight plans.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV