Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

XPlane Development Status Thread [Updated 12SEP14]

No sid and starts... big draw back!

Not really. I thought it would be, but you can still program the waypoints and restrictions, and save it as a SID... It works really well.

As a ex-FSX user moving to X-Plane, i feel like i need to put out a spiel as to why i think its a good thing that this is happening, it started off as a reply then became an open post to everyone.

Well I just got into xp10 and I'm just setting up the cosmetics such as mesh clouds etc. I've browsed some of the payware and have not found anything close to pmdg. So I'm patiently awaiting for some good news. Happy New year everyone.

Good to see someone not outright bashing X-Plane, real refreshing :P

But i can see where your coming from, the quality of most XP aircraft isn't up to PMDG standards, mostly because most of the XP Dev teams (Flightfactor, JARDesign, FlyJSim etc) just don't have the experience that PMDG has, and in situations like this the experience is worth its weight in gold.

But this will change, and change soon, i can see once PMDG enter with their line of products, there will be a large shift towards XP due to people realising just what can be done in the sim compared to FSX and P3D.

FSX is 9 years old this year, it was developed at a time where system configuration were going somewhere different (Big clock single core CPU's etc) which is  vastly different from where we are now. There is only so much you can do with the core program that is older than some of the people using it before it reaches its limit, i believe that's where we are now, trying to find fixes to get around the original program to keep it moving forward. I don't want to mention Dovetail's SE, as knowing them how i think i know them, they are in it for money only with little regard for the community, so don't expect anything from them.

P3D? Improvement yes, but still running some old underlying architecture that will give it problems soon, but it seems to be working for the Commercial users. (and lets face it, that's all LM worry about since its ILLEGAL to use as a home entertainment sim) So while there may be a move in the future to x64 and other needed improvements, its still a grey area to use it as most hobbyists use it for entertainment only (MOST! not all!)

This leaves X-Plane... Perfect? no, far from it..

There are issues, default airport scenery, weather, VATSIM integration and payware aircraft quality are just a few of the issues it has at the moment, but it only needs a good example of what it can do before more big name players get behind it, enter the arena and move it forward to what it should be; its got the architecture, its got the potential, it just needs to support to make it something great that all flightsim pilots can enjoy. and lets face it, with PMDG entering the ring, people will be watching, and when they see what can be done, they will want a slice of the action,

It will happen.

If you are a flightsim enthusiast, i would more then recommend to try out X-Plane, while it may not be perfect, it is the way to go looking to the future. If you are a FSX ###### (i didn't want to use that word) maybe just try opening your horizons, just think about it and check it out with an open mind, you may be surprised with what you find.

TL:DR, X-Plane is not perfect, but i think PMDG are doing the right thing for the flightsim community in moving forward by heading down this path.

I couldn't have described better. I think xplane is the future. The flight dynamics are awesome. There's a pay ware software for weather which is great as well. When you download the mesh hd it just makes look awesome. Far better than fsx could ever look. Scenery and sim study like airplanes are the only thing missing. But I'm sticking to XP and slowly moving away from fsx.

Same here. While I will keep an eye on P3D just in case, mainly for their 64bits version, it is still FSX at the core the underlying engine for flight dynamics, weather and all, I think only real new engines can vastly improve things, just tweaking or upgrading might drag things behind. 

I've also looked at one addon which was recent and had good review with the FF757, which is nice but it does not feel as complete as a PMDG aircraft though it is not bad at all. 

But really Xplane has great advance from FS, the graphics at night are just amazing, and I mean default one, the ligning from street lights and cars just makes a real impression. Also the flight dynmacis are really something else. The one thing I think they should try to improve a bit are the menus. They are great in details but really scary probably for new users. 

Oh also tweaking it is as easy as setting the thing in the sim options while in the sim, and that's all, no need to exit and restart, or to manipulate cfg file. I think there might be only one or two settings that requires restarting the sim, all the other will directly apply and reload thigns if necessary. 

Really looking toward the future for this simulator with PMDG class products.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

CyberMike, on 31 Dec 2014 - 4:12 PM, said:snapback.png

Have a look at:

FlightFactor Airbus A350 XWB Advanced

No sid and starts... big draw back!

Daniel T Costa

Just an advanced version, pro version are coming soon..

X-Plane Scandinavia

Norway - Sweden - Finland - Iceland - Denmark

https://www.facebook.com/xpscandinavia

Like - Share - Follow us on everything

I'm eagerly awaiting PMDG's new aircraft for X-Plane, just like most in this thread. Their credentials and portfolio of FS* products speaks for themselves. If they bring a fraction of that to X-Plane, we're in for a treat.

But I find myself a little puzzled by some of the comments about the higher end aircraft for X-Plane. Yes, I agree, that compared to PMDG's FS products, they're rough around the edges, but for something like the FF757, which is the current gold standard for X-Plane, what is it that it lacks that makes it subpar? While I'm no real world pilot, I find that, based on my limited knowledge of airliner operations, it has just about everything I look for in a simulated airliner. Probably the only thing it lacks is some of the more advanced failure modes, but let's be honest here. How many of you really set yourselves up for failures in flight?

If you're out there, then I'll concede that advanced failure modes are something noteworthy.

As for myself, I find that with work and other examples of life's obligations, I really don't have time to not complete a flight I set out to do, my own stupidity notwithstanding. The first thing I do is turn off any random failures. If I was training, I guess it'd be different, but I use flight simulators for entertainment and relaxation, but with the challenge the comes with navigation (I do plot out FMC courses for long flights, but I like to handfly shorter routes), matching real world time tables (95% of my airliner flights come directly from Flightaware, and I like to see how I compare to the actual flights), and so on.

I'm not posting this as any sort of challenge, or as any slight against PMDG, but I'm genuinely curious what folks think they're going to do specifically that tops what's already out there.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Well great news for P3D and FSX SE and still nothing for us. Which is really no surprise here. This is so frustating.

Well great news for P3D and FSX SE and still nothing for us. Which is really no surprise here. This is so frustating.

It will happen when it happens, Don't worry too much about it because that won't make it come any sooner. 

We are all waiting, but until that time (or until IXEG 737 comes out) I will fly FSX and P3D.

Flight Factor just doesn't do it for me. 

Been on the forums for a while, but decided to make this my first post... Yeah, I'm a loser.

It will happen when it happens, Don't worry too much about it because that won't make it come any sooner.

Never a truer word spoken. On the bright side like yourself I also will fly PD3 whilst I wait. Well I'll try and fly:)

Im just finding it hard to believe that there has been no events news-worthy relating to PMDG's X-Plane development in 111 days.

It was hinted that further news was expected in September (not sure if it was in this thread or another in this section) but still waiting coming up on mid January.

If development has been delayed or turned out to be harder than expected would be nice to know, a bit of news would cut down on annoying posts like this one :P

Cheers.

I am an X-Plane 10 user and find it quite satisfactory. There are many fine aircraft and sceneries available. Of course, like everything else there can be improvements. I am looking forward to the long delayed PMDG announcement of the release of one of their aircraft for X-Plane. I will most likely purchase it to see if all the hype was indeed justified. Anyway, welcome to X-Plane's future. It should be a good one.

Jim Morgan

So PMDG, after FSX:SE, P3D... what's the news for X-Plane huah?  B)  :lol:

"Build it and they will come..." - Field of dreams

I get it though. PMDG is servicing their own customer first and P3D seems to be not as a big of a stretch from the FSX platform. Its probably a lot easier to port a plane. X-plane 10 seems to be a huge amount of work for PMDG before they can get the project in an acceptable state. Also, The hardcore sim crowd is mostly on FSX/P3D. So X-plane 10 is a big risk for them.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

You guys should stop making xplane look like a small market. Right now it's the future. There is nothing close to it right now. And thats the reason I think it's a big risk not getting a foot in the door right now.

Anyway, I think the flightsim market is the only one where one can treat future costumers like PMDG does...