Sign in to follow this  
dukeav

Traffic Optimizer for FSX/P3D

AI traffic can be a FPS killer at even moderate settings. Many of us like to decent amount of traffic around, but this finally becomes a tussle between volume and FPS.

To help this situation I have written a program which automatically tries to manage the traffic. The logic is pretty simple, you give the program a target number of AI aircraft, by default 100. Every 60 seconds the program will check how many AI Aircraft are there and then it will delete AI Aircraft above this number. Aircraft farthest from your aircraft are deleted first, so traffic around you should remain largely unchanged. 

You can change the target number to your choice based upon your hardware.

Traffic Settings within FSX:

You should set the the traffic density in P3D to something which gives you decent traffic around you. For example I use MyTraffic, so I set the density to 35%, which I think reflects RW traffic. In my situation my FPS goes from ~12 to ~18 with this program in KJFK.

How to use:

Start FSX, let it come up fully

Start AirTrafficManager.exe

Enter the Departure and Dsetination ICAO codes (optional)

"Check" the "Auto Optimize" check-box

The first clean-up will happen 15 seconds after you check the check-box, and after 10-15 seconds of that you will notice your FPS increase.

I have not programmed in VB.Net for ages, so if you are going to try this out then you are a beta-tester :)

Notes:

1. This program runs separately from FSX so hopefully will not crash it.

2. If you get a message in the console saying unable to connect to FSX, please re-start AirTrafficManager.

3. Although the check for AI Aircraft is done every 60 seconds, the clean-up happens 15 seconds after the 60 seconds

4. The original program was for P3D, you can find the discussion thread here - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451048-traffic-optimizer-for-p3d/

5. FSX version is not tested much as I mainly use P3D, and I created this version on request from FSX users

Requirements:

1. FSX SP2 / Acceleration

2. FSUIPC

Acknowledgements:

1. Uses the FSUIPC Client DLL for .NET by Paul Henty

2. Pete Dowson for pointing out the critical bug for SP2, Sesquashtoo / Ray Proudfoot and many other for testing and feedback in the P3D thread

• Upvote 1

Many thanks !

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Duke,

I haven't tried this version yet but have a couple of observations...

1) Can you provide a minimise button so the program can be moved off the desktop?

2) Some programs can detect if a flight plan is loaded in FSX and will then automatically load it into their interface. Active Sky Next is one. Rather than ask the user to provide 2 ICAOs maybe you could look at loading a plan even though you only use part of it.

Thanks!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Tried it. Liked it. Thanks. And I agree with Ray, a minimize button would be nice.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1) Can you provide a minimise button so the program can be moved off the desktop?

Ray and Doug right click on top and minimize...

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Thanks Duke. And thanks to reecemj, never thought of that :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Great program and it works fine with AIController and ProATC.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Ray and Doug right click on top and minimize...

Sheez.....so simple. Never would have thought of that.....Thanks.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

This is a seriously good program - just flew very close to Heathrow en route from EGSS to EGJJ with the traffic set to 50 and got hardly any drop in FPS !

Couple this with Fibre Accelerator and no longer is London airspace the frame hog nightmare that it used to be !

My only comment would be a feature to save the settings to individual files for future use?

Many thanks

Gary

AI traffic can be a FPS killer at even moderate settings. Many of us like to decent amount of traffic around, but this finally becomes a tussle between volume and FPS.

To help this situation I have written a program which automatically tries to manage the traffic. The logic is pretty simple, you give the program a target number of AI aircraft, by default 100. Every 60 seconds the program will check how many AI Aircraft are there and then it will delete AI Aircraft above this number. Aircraft farthest from your aircraft are deleted first, so traffic around you should remain largely unchanged. 

You can change the target number to your choice based upon your hardware.

Traffic Settings within FSX:
You should set the the traffic density in P3D to something which gives you decent traffic around you. For example I use MyTraffic, so I set the density to 35%, which I think reflects RW traffic. In my situation my FPS goes from ~12 to ~18 with this program in KJFK.

How to use:
Start FSX, let it come up fully
Start AirTrafficManager.exe
Enter the Departure and Dsetination ICAO codes (optional)
"Check" the "Auto Optimize" check-box

The first clean-up will happen 15 seconds after you check the check-box, and after 10-15 seconds of that you will notice your FPS increase.

I have not programmed in VB.Net for ages, so if you are going to try this out then you are a beta-tester :)

Notes:
1. This program runs separately from FSX so hopefully will not crash it.
2. If you get a message in the console saying unable to connect to FSX, please re-start AirTrafficManager.
3. Although the check for AI Aircraft is done every 60 seconds, the clean-up happens 15 seconds after the 60 seconds
4. The original program was for P3D, you can find the discussion thread here - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451048-traffic-optimizer-for-p3d/
5. FSX version is not tested much as I mainly use P3D, and I created this version on request from FSX users

Requirements:
1. FSX SP2 / Acceleration
2. FSUIPC

Acknowledgements:
1. Uses the FSUIPC Client DLL for .NET by Paul Henty
2. Pete Dowson for pointing out the critical bug for SP2, Sesquashtoo / Ray Proudfoot and many other for testing and feedback in the P3D thread

Nice one useful,  but in case of UT2 not needed because the program does this already since the first release version ;-)

André

Does UT2 do this? I had not noticed, is there a setting for it anywhere!

Nice one useful,  but in case of UT2 not needed because the program does this already since the first release version ;-)

It does? I have used UT2 for years and never once seen AI be removed or added based on FSP.

Where are the settings in UT2 to set this up?

Is this in the UT2 documentation?

Yes, I monitor my AI traffic with Traffic Watch.

It does? I have used UT2 for years and never once seen AI be removed or added based on FSP.

Where are the settings in UT2 to set this up?

Is this in the UT2 documentation?

Yes, I monitor my AI traffic with Traffic Watch.

Lol UT2 gui and then Utilities > In game settings, but my guess is you already new that Jim ;-)

Those settings are very useful for great performance and AI I don't fly without it....

There is even an option called target FPS....

From the manual ;-)

1.  Keyboard Shortcuts - All controls for Ultimate Traffic 2 inside of FSX can have keyboard shortcuts assigned to them.  To assign a new keyboard shortcut, highlight the desired field to change and press the key combination you would like to designate.  UT2 does NOT check to see if this is conflicting with any existing FSX shortcuts.

2.  Target FSX Frame Rate - If you computer is running slow at very busy airports, due to the amount of ai traffic being displayed, you can use this setting to allow UT2 to automatically adjust your traffic density to reach your performance goal.  Ultimate Traffic 2 will dynamically reduce the traffic density until it is able to achieve the desired frame rate.  When your frame rate in FSX goes above the target rate, UT2 will increase the traffic density, up to the max setting on the Traffic Options page, as long as it stays above the target frame rate.  The minimum setting available is 6 FPS.  Setting below this value will turn OFF the target frame rate option.

3.  Aircraft Spawn Options - In order to be able to control the injection of ai traffic specifically for your computer, you can use the spawn options.  You can set the max altitude that aircraft on the ground will be displayed, distance from your aircraft that ai traffic will be spawned on the ground, and the maximum number of aircraft to display, using these settings.  These settings can be useful in eliminating or reducing any 'pops' or 'pauses' that may occur in FSX while UT2 spawns aircraft.

André

Duke,

Thanks for the tip about minimising. Having had some time to think about this program I'm wondering what the purpose of supplying the two ICAOs is.

Does it affect which Ai get deleted? That would be my guess. For example, if I set-up a flight from Heathrow to JFK then all those Ai well to the east of London would be the first to go since they will never be close to my route.

But those out to the west - even 100 miles away I might feel inclined to keep. After all, I'm sure most would agree you don't want to sanitise the route you're flying. And each few minutes when you check and remove those in excess of the user's target would you also prioritise those behind your aircraft rather than ahead?

Just a thought which I think would enhance your already excellent program.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Lol UT2 gui and then Utilities > In game settings, but my guess is you already new that Jim ;-)

Those settings are very useful for great performance and AI I don't fly without it....

There is even an option called target FPS....

From the manual ;-)

1.  Keyboard Shortcuts - All controls for Ultimate Traffic 2 inside of FSX can have keyboard shortcuts assigned to them.  To assign a new keyboard shortcut, highlight the desired field to change and press the key combination you would like to designate.  UT2 does NOT check to see if this is conflicting with any existing FSX shortcuts.

2.  Target FSX Frame Rate - If you computer is running slow at very busy airports, due to the amount of ai traffic being displayed, you can use this setting to allow UT2 to automatically adjust your traffic density to reach your performance goal.  Ultimate Traffic 2 will dynamically reduce the traffic density until it is able to achieve the desired frame rate.  When your frame rate in FSX goes above the target rate, UT2 will increase the traffic density, up to the max setting on the Traffic Options page, as long as it stays above the target frame rate.  The minimum setting available is 6 FPS.  Setting below this value will turn OFF the target frame rate option.

3.  Aircraft Spawn Options - In order to be able to control the injection of ai traffic specifically for your computer, you can use the spawn options.  You can set the max altitude that aircraft on the ground will be displayed, distance from your aircraft that ai traffic will be spawned on the ground, and the maximum number of aircraft to display, using these settings.  These settings can be useful in eliminating or reducing any 'pops' or 'pauses' that may occur in FSX while UT2 spawns aircraft.

Andre,

No I truly didn't know! I will take a look.