Sign in to follow this  
Guest Slacktide

FAA to eliminate redundant instrument approaches.

Guest Phanton 09

FAA plans to "deactivate" around 500 NDB approaches.If this becomes true I think Microsoft should implement these changesin MSFS2006.I don

Guest aca_dia

Also that will probably not mean the instant deactivation of 500 procedures. In most cases each one has to go through a review process before deactivation. The result will most likely be a slow phase out.

Probably get all converted to GPS approaches over time, if they aren't already in place already. Some Northern Manitoba / NW Ontario airports I fly into have both the RNAV and NDB approaches available. The RNAV appraoches take you down a little lower on minimums up here as well. Not all ACC are approved IFR GPS equipped though so the beacon has to stay!!

Guest Phanton 09

Exactly. So there is no need to Microsoft to include these procedures into the GPS databsase. Many people use the Reality-XP GPS but many people don

Not to mention that by the time they get discontinued the navdatabase for FS2006 (let's call it that for wont of the real title) will likely be closed for changes.

Guest Phanton 09

Yes. Maybe you are right.Cheers.

Considering the FS2004 database is from late 2002, the FS2002 database is from mid 2000, you can see that there's 1-1.5 years before release date to be taken as the closing date for changes.Given an expected release sometime next year, that would be about now.

Guest panda234

that means we all get her...billg

>Not to be too picky but there is not a GPS database or an ATC>database in FS 2004. The Approaches are written into the>APnnnnn.bgl files for each airport - just like the runway>data, the taxiways, the aprons, the parking spots, etc.>Doesn't matter, there is a database. It may be distributed across the scenery database but it's there :)More importantly by far: It doesn't matter a bit whether external tools have their own navdata or not.Microsoft will not require people to use such external tools and therefore provide their own data...>From the lengthy hours I've spent looking at the XML data in>FS2004 - it appears obvious to me that Microsoft uses an>automated batch process to create much of the airport>information.>Of course they do. Just like they will have batch processes for everything else, from creating the airports to mapping landclass to mesh.>Side note - since FS Nav reads the data from the source files>- as does the default GPS - how difficult would it be to have>the airport layout displayed by these two programs />sub-programs, along with the parking spots? The data is all in>the same file.>The default GPS displays the correct runway headings for most airports (all over a certain size I think).Nav 3 (which I use in favour of FSNav) does the same so extracting the data is certainly possible.

It's lovely isn't it? I hate those things with a passion. The fewer of those approaches I see, the happier I'll be. :-hah----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>It's lovely isn't it? I hate those things with a passion. The>fewer of those approaches I see, the happier I'll be. :-hah>And the same here! Long live color moving map GPS's, along with 3D terrain and such...L.Adamson

Guest Slacktide

>>It's lovely isn't it? I hate those things with a passion.>The>>fewer of those approaches I see, the happier I'll be. :-hah>>>And the same here! Long live color moving map GPS's, along>with 3D terrain and such...Yeah, as long as you're not the one who has to foot the bill to upgrade your panel to an IFR capable gps. They cost more than some of the planes I've flown are worth.Dan