Sign in to follow this  
rjack1282

Reduced Visibility in Los Angeles Basin with ASN and V2.3

I have noticed when flying in the Los Angeles Basin that the visibility is generally much less than the metar.  For example, the metar will read 10+ SM or even 20 SM but my visibility can be 5 or less SM.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I have seen some videos on the youtubes where the haze caused the reduced visibility, not the clouds, but the reduced visibility was also noted in the metar.  It is my understanding that the haze should be taken into account by the metar so I am not sure if this is an ASN issue or a P3D issue or neither.  I have minimum visibility at 0 and maximum visibility at 75 SM.  If someone else can duplicate this issue then please let me know so I can post in the ASN or P3D forums.  

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan - play with the volumetric fog setting in P3D and the enhance visibility options in ASN. You might be able to improve what you see.

That said, I flew IRL in the LA basin for many years and I often wondered what idiot was creating the metars. The smog layer (yes, it is still there) in LA is a unique phenomenon that can make a 10m vis metar look like a 5m.

However there IS an issue and both ASN and P3D are working on it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have noticed when flying in the Los Angeles Basin that the visibility is generally much less than the metar. ... can duplicate this issue then please let me know so I can post in the ASN or P3D forums.

Ryan

When I was doing Pilotedge in SOCAL and using OpusFSX the weather report would be 20 miles I was lucky to get 3 or 4 ...yes it's repeatable... I have a JPEG showing exactly that, but I have no earthly idea whether it's permissible to upload, and it if so, how to upload, and where to upload.

They haven't made it easy here.

You can contact me person if you'd like me to email it to you.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

That said, I flew IRL in the LA basin for many years and I often wondered what idiot was creating the metars. The smog layer (yes, it is still there) in LA is a unique phenomenon that can make a 10m vis metar look like a 5m.

I've been in the SoCal area a lot (real world), there aren't many days where you can see 10m because of haze/smog ... 5m or less is the norm.  But having said that, I'd suggest try to adjust some ASN settings ... there are a few that seem to affect visibility, just don't recall off the top of my head.

Cheers, Rob.

I've been in the SoCal area a lot (real world), there aren't many days where you can see 10m because of haze/smog ... 5m or less is the norm.  ...

Cheers, Rob.

Wow!....that seems to vindicate OpusFSX!...but wait!....doesn't the aforementioned weather gen machine depend on the same metars we do???

Now I am NOT Chas

I am ...really confused!

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

If the reduced visibility is realistic then I probably won't change anything.  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't bug related.  It's just kinda funny when ATC is asking if I see the field and I'm 5 miles out and can't see it on a 10+SM day!  The easy work around is to set the minimum surface visibilty in ASN to the reported metar visibilty.

Thanks for the help guys,

Ryan

Ryan