Sign in to follow this  
Guest DZollner

Lost Info what CAT A/B/C/D is exactly...

Guest TRK3586

I'm halfway through my first instrument class, so in no way am I an expert on this, but the different categories for approaches are basically different speed categories.That speed is caluclated by I believe 1.3 times the Vso speed of the aircraft, which is speed with gear extended. Category A is less than 91 kts, and each category gets faster and faster progressively. Most GA aircraft would be found in Category A. Turboprops are usually B I believe. I can't remember the exact speed breakdowns for each category. Category E is for mainly military ops.Hope this helps,Tim

Guest DZollner

"Speeds are based on 1.3 times the stall speed in the landing configuration of maximum gross landing weight. An aircraft shall fit in only one category. If it is necessary to maneuver at speeds in excess of the upper limit of a speed range for a category, the minimums for the next higher category should be used. For example, an aircraft which falls in Category A, but is circling to land at a speed in excess of 91 knots, should use the approach Category B minimums when circling to land."Category A: 0-90 knotsCategory B: 91-120 knotsCategory C: 121-140 knotsCategory D: 141-165 knotsCategory E: Above 165 knots