Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Gaming Keypad recommendations please (Tartarus v. Nostromo..)

My Nostromo N52 is quite old now and the button which switches between key profiles (red, green, blue, grey) is acting up so I thought I'd get another similar device in case the N52 dies totally one day soon. (I would ideally like another N52, as I am very used to using it, but the used ones that occasionally come up on eBay UK go for more than I think I want to pay, so....).

Anyone use the Razer Tartarus for FS9/FSX? I have looked at a Youtube video and read the pdf manual - seems pretty neat. I notice that Amazon.co.uk have put the price up from £45 yesterday to £62 today however, so I am less inclined to get one than I was 24 hours ago, but maybe I can find one cheaper elsewhere.

Or any other recommended replacements for the N52? Must be able to programme at least as many macros as I can with the N52...

Thanks,

Martin

Razer has a Nostromo that is listed as 'Developed with Belkin' that may be what you are looking for. It is the update/replacement to the Belkin N52te.  http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo#  I have a logitech G13, but I much prefer the thumb controller on the Nostromo. 

Jazz

my .02c

The Razer Nostromo looks good, but is pretty expensive - £189.99 on Amazon! I sent an email to Amazon.co.uk and they will let me have the Razer Tartarus at the old price, but why is the Razer Nostromo so much more expensive than the Razer Tartarus? The latter looks more sophisticated, but??...

If Amazon is offering the Razer Tartarus at under £50, I guess that's what I should go for??? (Am getting a second Saitek X52 too - anyone would think Christmas had come!!).

Comparisons here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=50&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=razer+tartarus+vs+razer+nostromo&oq=Razer+Tartarus+Razer+Nostromo&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i22i10i30j0i22i30.6774.14628.0.18038.3.3.0.0.0.0.319.707.0j1j1j1.3.0....0...1c.1.53.hp..0.3.703.GaMRe8NORxE

Any comments re. FS9/FSX welcome thoufh. Thanks.

M.

thought of the logitech g13 ....???

i find it as valuable as trackIR for simming !!

for now, cheers

john martin

A number of devices available of course. As my N52 is still working I might wait until I can get another on eBay - all y profiles will then be valid. If I buy a Razer products I'll have to programme the whole lot again, not a HUGE deal I guess.

If Amazon give me the Tartarus at the old price, I may go for it anyway...

M

Thanks for that - I guess the Orbweaver is the one to go for!! Does everyone recommend this? It seems the top of the pack.

Need to order it soon as I am just passing through the UK in a week or so and can pick it up then (post to here in Sri Lanka where I work is not a viable option I think!),,

M.

You are welcome, martinlest2. Good luck, and safe travels.

Jazz

Seems the stealth version is the one to get (does anyone agree/disagree?) but it's out of stock!!!  :(

Should I hold out for the stealth version or is the standard version pretty much the same? I did see comparison videos on Youtube and the stealth is definitely preferred there.

M.

A related question on this topic:

Not being familiar with these gaming keypads, do those eight-position thumb pads function as, or can be programmed to act like hat switches on flight yokes/sticks?  i.e., if I wanted to upgrade to a yoke that doesn't have a hat switch, could I use the thumb pad on one of these gaming keypads to function as a hat switch?

Mike A.

thought of the logitech g13 ....???

i find it as valuable as trackIR for simming !!

in what way? what do you assign to it 

ZORAN

in what way? what do you assign to it 

for me firstly, any gamepad (logitechg13) / keyboard (logitech g510) that can be assigned complex keys at least (ctrl+shift+... for example) assists in using trackIR (no fumbling for mouse clicks as the sreen moves) is necessary / a winner.

the list of what you can assign using fsx commands and / or fsuipic macros / lua's is longgggggg ....in the pmdg ngx there are over a hundred (on the overhead, radios, mcp, efis etc.) i use. the list of keysrokes you can use includes shift / ctrl / alt + of a-z, 0-9, numpad 0-9 (that's 138 already) with combinations of shift / ctrl / alt for more.

for now, cheers

john martin

I see. I do find with PMDG and fs2crew that I can pretty much access everything I need through voice command and some basic hardware with keyboard pretty much covers it all.

I can see it would work well with trackIR and non fs2crew aircraft

ZORAN

I can see it would work well with trackIR and non fs2crew aircraft

interesting to hear another's versus my perspective .... i've never used fs2crew so shouldn't comment ... but my impressions of it is that it is highly prescriptive & not that real !!

i just wrote / follow my own FCOM flow procedures with the necessary checks as per most SOP's. for this it helps to have a gamepad. i then only need tell MCE what to do as necessary (as the PNF).

for now, cheers

john martin