Sign in to follow this  
rufowler

bush plane recommendation

Another vote for the Realair Scout. Even though it's a couple of years old it doesn't show its age in the least. Simply one of the very best!

Personally, I'd suggest trying a Super Cub for your 'small and agile' mount, and either the C-185 or C-206 for revenue work.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

+1 Vote for the Twin Otter, fantastic to hand fly, STOL capable.

Ian R Tyldesley

Wow, it seems like the Scout really wins your votes here.  I was thinking about the Scout a little while ago -- especially since it comes with the Citabria and the Decathlon as well. Looks like it's a (relatively) old one from RealAir, waaay back in 2007. ;)  Assuming most of you Scout owners have their suite of planes, do you like the Scout the best of the three?

Here's my personal favorites (in order of "favoriteness"):

Single-Engine:

1 - Real Air Scout/Decathalon/Citabria

2 - Flight Replicas Super Cub Classic Bushplanes

3 - Carenado C185F Skywagon Bush (though out the cockpit visibility isn't great)

(I haven't tried the A2A J3 but I'm sure it's excellent... just a little sloooow... and expensive)

Cool.  Yes, the C185 would def be on my list.  Somehow I have never heard of the company Flight Replicas.  Looks intriguing.  Would def consider a classic Super Cub!  :)

You might want to check out Lionheart's Quest Kodiak as well. 

Yeah, it's gotten a couple of good reviews too.  Don't love the glass cockpit though.  Kinda ruins it for me.

Aerosoft Beaver X, Bush Hawk and even the Quest Kodiak are great single engine.

Could be me but the Aerosoft Beaver looked a but dated from the screenshots and the youtube videos I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong though. I do love the plane itself though. You feel like holds up for being 6-7 years old?  The Bush Hawk, however, does look pretty sweet!

Could be me but the Aerosoft Beaver looked a but dated from the screenshots and the youtube videos I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong though. I do love the plane itself though. You feel like holds up for being 6-7 years old?  The Bush Hawk, however, does look pretty sweet!

It is a bit dated and I would love to see Aerosoft do a Beaver Extended as it did with the Twin Otter. However, as is, it is still a great plane for bush work in all veriations, wheel, floats, amphib and skis. I never hesitate to fly it in ORBX and Misty scenery! It and the Twin Otter are my most used planes.

You won't go wrong with any of the options given in this thread. The hard part is making that decision, and each of us has our own likes and dislikes. Sort of like buying your own car.

Rick

All three RealAir taildraggers are fun to fly.. they are quite different, though

The Decathlon has no flaps, but is aerobatic - the Scout is the bush plane.

Do not worry about the age, they are brilliant!

Bert

Personally, I think the powers that be should leave the Amik just the way it is; a classic workhorse of a Bush plane. Sure it's getting a little long in the tooth Model wise, compared to some of the more recent offerings... but that's part of what makes the Beaver what it is. No need to stick a full on G1000 suite in the Panel, or any cute chatchkas like that; they aren't equipped like that in the RW, anyway!

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

All three RealAir taildraggers are fun to fly.. they are quite different, though

The Decathlon has no flaps, but is aerobatic - the Scout is the bush plane.

+1. The age isn't an issue at all. All variants are fun to fly. With RA's realistic stalls and spins you can practice aerobatic maneuvers in the Decathalon and have a hoot. The Scout, as Bert mentioned, is the bush plane, but it comes in regular wheel, tundra wheel, and amphibian versions. So you could really think of it like 5 different variants. I just took a trip through Alaska in the amphibian and , as always with the Scout, had a total blast. 

The Aerosoft Beaver X is good, but I wouldn't spend money on it now, what with all the other choices available. Mention has been made of a new Beaver, but that will be at least a year away, I reckon.

What about Tim 'Piglet' Conrad's freeware Pilatus PC-6 Porter ? As bush planes go, it's the bushiest.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I fully agree, the RA Citabria/Decathlon/Scout not only fly great, but are also visually very appealing - in fact, they look (and sound!) better than many releases from 2014. I was somewhat sceptical at first as well, but quickly discovered that the Scout is one of the best handling and looking aircraft in FSX/P3D.

I have most of the other aircraft that have been recommended in this thread and the RA Scout is the best of them, in my opionion of course. Considering that there are no less than three different models included, with several variants for the Scout, the value is outstanding. Flying the Decathlon is a blast!

I love the Aerosoft Beaver and the RealAir Scout, but when I'm flying bush, I'm usually in the Carenado 172, 185, 337, or 210.

But even more than those, which I love, I love more buzzing around in Milton Shupes (freeware) Beech 18 or Ventura, or a WACO (Alabeo), a Tiger Moth (Ant), or a Stearman (GAS or Vertigo).

Lately, I've been flying a 310 (Milviz) into places it doesn't belong...

Full disclosure: I am an FS9 flyer - I'm not flying Alabeo, Ant, Vertigo, or Milviz - those are the best for FSX, so I've listed them - I use GAS WACOs, Aeroplane Heaven Tiger Moths, Dreamfleet 310s, and freeware Stearmans... but those are what I love in bush flying.

I think you ought to try the vfr-French bushie...After one short hop and this is my goto

short hop bush..Im currently touring Norway and Mexico in this plane..a lot of fun..

http://frenchvfr.free.fr/

Rick

I totally agree. It's a Cessna 150  (The Cessna 150-K 'TiBush of Lagaffe) outfitted for bush flying. It's one of the nicer freeware GA planes and it is compatible with both FSX and P3d 2.3. It's on their downloads page:

http://frenchvfr.free.fr/download.php?lng=fr

I had the previous version, but this one flies much more like the way that I remember C152/150s handled.

Aerosoft did a Wilga, I don't have it, but I heard it is quite nice.  Sibwings has a very nice Cessna BirdDog as well.

While not a 'bush plane' per se, the Baytower RV-7 is a sport plane with excellent STOL ability, fully aerobatic/very agile, nice cruise speed, and IFR capable.

Another unique choice might be the Aerosoft OV-10 Bronco, it also has excellent STOL abilities, and quite speedy.

As far as warbirds go, the A2A P-40 can be made into a decent bushplane, it is very rugged, as it operated from desert/jungle airstrips during the war.

Cheers

TJ

Another vote for the Real Air Scout; I picked it up not long ago and am really enjoying it. It's easy to fly, looks great, has IFR instrumentation if/when you need it, and is inexpensive. Give it a go!

Ken