Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

VfrFlight - new free VFR flight planner

Hi Zoran,

Thanks for your feedback. Currently, I am working on version 1.2 with main fuctionality of importing all FSX/P3D data into VfrFlight (airfields, navaids, ILS ...).

I managed to import world elevations data (SRTM), so you will be able to see safe altitutes above terrain. This will make VFR planning more easy :).

Lukasz

No wonder I couldn't find the import button ..Elevation data is going to be a great addition

ZORAN

Very excited on 1.2! Hope it's not so far from release.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Great little tool, looking forward to try it this afternoon. I'm wondering if you're planning to include any vertical planning features (MSA, elevation info, etc)?

Very excited on 1.2! Hope it's not so far from release.

I have the most of work done, so I think it should take 2-3 weeks, before it can enter testing phase. I will let you know, because I will need some testers first :).

Great little tool, looking forward to try it this afternoon. I'm wondering if you're planning to include any vertical planning features (MSA, elevation info, etc)?

Yes, in 1.2 there will be elevations data covering the whole globe. It will be shown in the same way as it is visible on aviation maps (Minimum Safe Altitudes => terrain elevation + 1000 ft).

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Fantastic news, thanks for the swift answer!

Although it raises another question: From experience I found that the NOAA DEM tiles are pretty low resolution and out by 1500Ft in places (like NZ). Is there any chance that your tool might be able to grab elevation info from FSX itself? With ORBX regions installed, it'd give us a 50m resolution.

Keep up the good work man!

Dan

Although it raises another question: From experience I found that the NOAA DEM tiles are pretty low resolution and out by 1500Ft in places (like NZ). Is there any chance that your tool might be able to grab elevation info from FSX itself? With ORBX regions installed, it'd give us a 50m resolution.

I was thinking about importing FSX elevation data, however at current moment I don't know how to do it... yet.

I am not using NOAA DEM, but SRTM data (link) which gives you around 30m to 90m resolution. However, problem here is the size of data. I need to find an efficent way to store it on disk and in memory.

In the first step I calculated and imported maximum elevations for a resolution of 10-15 km (the same is in SkyVector now). It is not very sparse, however it seems to be enough for flight planning in the same way, when you are using MSA's from your aviation maps.

In the future, I will allow users to import elevations in larger resolutions. I hope to make it possible to do vertical slices of terrain elevations for your whole route. That would be really cool  :rolleyes: .

Lukasz Kulasek

Seems like you have a  very good plan, I'm looking forward to updates re 1.2 :)

And thanks for your reply!

Dan

Good morning fellow pilots,

I need some few more people to test version 1.2 with FSX/P3D data import to VfrFlight.

There are quite a few new features as well.

If you're interested, please PM me with your email address, so I can send you more information.

Thank you!

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

Just came across this great program!

What a excellent piece of software.

Very intuitive, lots of features and a fine example of freeware!

Thank you.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I am working on a UI update to merge everything into a one window. This should make everything more user firendly.

Lukasz Kulasek

I loaded and ran, updating the data base, but do not see any intersections, waypoints, orairspace.

If I import a flight plan from FSX, the waypoints are also imported, but all other waypoints are not visible.

What am I doing wrong?

RodeoGeorge

I loaded and ran, updating the data base, but do not see any intersections, waypoints, orairspace.

Unfortunately, intersections, waypoints and airspaces are not supported, yet. Support will come soon with a possibility for manual editing - to add data from a scratch for real flying, or to update your FSX data to resemble current one.

If I import a flight plan from FSX, the waypoints are also imported, but all other waypoints are not visible.

What do you mean by 'all other waypoints' ?

Thanks,

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

What do you mean by 'all other waypoints' ?

Thanks,

Lukasz

What I was trying to explain is that any waypoints included in a Flight Plan created in FSX, and then imported into VFRFlight, are visible and can be added to the data base.

All other waypoints that exist in the FSX data base are not visible, as you have explained, since they are not yet supported.

THANK YOU  for a GREAT Flight Planner!

RodeoGeorge