Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

ASN v OpusFSX

Just between us, I've gone back to Opus for my weather. I've given ASN a fair crack of the whip but I'm afraid the call of Opus was too strong.

Let the p*ss taking begin. I'm a big strong boy, I can take it! :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ron Opus is great but suffers from the cloud shift issue even with limited updates..ASN does not..does this not take away some realism?

So interesting your going back..in its favour OPus does seem to get the weather very close to the real weather outside and the cameras are very good..

The best thing about opus is you can call up a window to get the instant view of the weather on route and destination

I use both an swap a round occasionally...but like you I am starting use Opus more...even with the above limitation...

All the best

I like Opus but for some reason it takes forever and a day to inject the weather into FSX on my system, so I do not use it all that much anymore.    Opus may be the better weather program but I like how fast ASN loads the weather into my simulator.   Pilot's Real Weather also loads the weather pretty fast.    The weather program preference topic can sometimes get as heated as FSX vs XP (past), FSX vs P3D (present) or Coke vs Pepsi (just kidding).   Each individual is probably going to have an opinion but it really comes down to what features are important to that person and that is really all that matters.     I feel sorry for someone that wants to purchase a weather program for the first time and asks for opinions and before you can blink, the topic has ballooned to 5 pages (ok again, just kidding).

Mike

I think it boils down to how often you notice the cloud popping. In the last 6 flights or so I haven't seen a cloud pop because I wasn't looking outside at the exact right time it happened

I did try the ASN demo and it was really nice n polished but no DHM killed the immersion for me, Cant fly without it and love the cameras

I like Opus but for some reason it takes forever and a day to inject the weather into FSX on my system, so I do not use it all that much anymore.    Opus may be the better weather program but I like how fast ASN loads the weather into my simulator.   Pilot's Real Weather also loads the weather pretty fast.    The weather program preference topic can sometimes get as heated as FSX vs XP (past), FSX vs P3D (present) or Coke vs Pepsi (just kidding).   Each individual is probably going to have an opinion but it really comes down to what features are important to that person and that is really all that matters.     I feel sorry for someone that wants to purchase a weather program for the first time and asks for opinions and before you can blink, the topic has ballooned to 5 pages (ok again, just kidding).

Mike

Mike, try setting OPUS to all default settings first and then activate the "spy" and then if its still an issue go to their forums, they are very active with support. I would say its in your settings as no one else is posting about it  

ZORAN

Mike,

A couple of releases ago, I had a similar issue with Opus taking a long time to download, process, and inject the initial weather into a flight. Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but upgrading to the latest version fixed this for me.

History: 1st I had ASE, very pleased with it but was a bit phased by all the variables (I was a FS n00b) then I went to 2012 just because it was there. Still pleased. I then tried the Opus demo and was sold by the simplicity and the fact it had DHM.

Flying with the RTW crew a bit of banter started about who's program delivered the most realistic weather. In the end I upgraded my 2012 to ASN. ($20, €20, £20 or whatever, it wasn't a big deal) Once again I was pleased on top of that the interface was much better. But there were little niggles creeping in, clouds seem to be placed arbitrarily and looked like the Simpsons titles. I scurried back to Opus when I saw low lying mist in the valleys look like a blanket of snow!. A quick swap showed low lying mist as it ought to be.

As a penance I'll probably go buy the Opus FSI update!

I started this topic in here because I did'nt think many people would see it as I didn't want one of those AVSIM battles to break out! :BigGrin:

Hi Ron,

i just read your thread and i thought it looked like a battle (i dont like these kind of discussions as they are not target aimed) but actually it feels more like a nice chat about these two wx engines. As you i started with ASE back in FS9 and then in FSX. When Opus came out i was very pleased with the speed and simplicity how this app worked and how good the weather was. When i saw the announcement of ASN and that it would be easy as is i tried it and was convinced.

These where the days when FSX was still on my SSD. Now P3D2.x took over and FSX is gone for me or at least for now. Maybe i will install it some day again, will see.

Anyway ASN is my weapon of choice now. Opus is a pretty good tool too both have there pros and cons. Both are -keep it smart and simple- Apps and are constantly under development and both are good. I still keep Opus on my drive just in case;) But all in all both apps are by far better than the awful wx engine in our full flight sims.

If anyone complains about wx engine try a full flight sim cause they suck big time ;)

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Mike,

A couple of releases ago, I had a similar issue with Opus taking a long time to download, process, and inject the initial weather into a flight. Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but upgrading to the latest version fixed this for me.

Thanks Henry,

I will try that. 

Mike

Thanks Henry,

I will try that. 

Mike

After installing the latest version, it is faster.   I like having the Spy window open, at least I can see what is happening.

Mike

Going back to FLAPS15 comment about cloud shifts. I can say, hand on heart, that I have never noticed such a thing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it.

On a further note, in order to make amends for my disloyalty, I've upgraded to OpusFSI. Early days yet but I have the feeling that it's delivering with less reticence that OpusFSX. Could be placebo effect kicking in though. One thing has changed, the DHM 'bump aircraft' setting now works as I expected it to in OpusFSX. In fact it was unworkable and I had to disable that particular section.

Anyway, so far, so good. :good:

(It was a joke about disloyalty btw) 

Opus all the way.

I downloaded and tried the ASN demo with great hopes.   I was back with Opus within a few hours.

Reasons;-

• I prefer it's depictions, especially thick low cloud bases.
  • I prefer how it interacts with FSX and find it less conspicuous than ASN.
  • I get quite considerably better FPS performance from Opus than ASN, with comparable settings.
  • In addition to brilliant weather, I also get dynamic head movement effects, and a great custom camera view system... all integrated into one non-fuss application.

Opus all the way!

Let's not let this go down the usual avenue. It's all about personal preferences, and there are no absolutes.