Sign in to follow this  
CathayA340

Cessna 172 Home Cockpit - Where to start

Hello everyone,

I posted a topic on mycockpit.org because I would like to build a C172 home cockpit based on FSX, and the A2A C-172. I am a teenager starting flying lessons soon and would like to practice at home. The simulator would be based on the C172 but not exact.

I'm probably going to base it off of Saitek panels because I have a low budget.

Here's the post on mycockpit : http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28342&p=151468

Help would be much appreciated, thank you to all! :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is all exciting stuff, but if flying lessons is your thing, I would focus on using the A2A C172 "as is" on your PC, and practice procedures.. first simple airplane control and then navigation.

Get some good scenery for the area you fly in, and possibly a quality GPS, if you do any IFR or GPS guided VFR.  The A2A airplane will take a Reality XP GNS for example..

Building a cockpit is a project all to itself - and you are going to need your time and money for real flight..  just my thoughts  B)

As for the feel of sitting in a real cockpit.. that is what the flying lessons are for..

This is all exciting stuff, but if flying lessons is your thing, I would focus on using the A2A C172 "as is" on your PC, and practice procedures.. first simple airplane control and then navigation.

Get some good scenery for the area you fly in, and possibly a quality GPS, if you do any IFR or GPS guided VFR.  The A2A airplane will take a Reality XP GNS for example..

Building a cockpit is a project all to itself - and you are going to need your time and money for real flight..  just my thoughts  B)

As for the feel of sitting in a real cockpit.. that is what the flying lessons are for..

Bert, thank you very much for your input and information :) Now that I think about it, I agree with you and should spend the money on real lessons and just fly with the 172 on my computer. I would definitely get some good scenery, is there anything for New Jersey? I would be flying out of Princeton Airport 39N. I haven't been in the cockpit of the C172 I will be training in but I have been in one before. Once I get into the cockpit, I can know what GPS equipment to expect and other things of the sort. Thank you again! :)

Also, I assume it would still be necessary to purchase items such as a Saitek TPM, maybe radio panels and a trim wheel? I currently have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and the Pro Flight Rudders. Should I upgrade to the Cessna? :/ Lots of money... :P

Also, I assume it would still be necessary to purchase items such as a Saitek TPM, maybe radio panels and a trim wheel? I currently have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and the Pro Flight Rudders. Should I upgrade to the Cessna? :/ Lots of money... :P

Why?  Use what you have got!

This all looks plenty good enough... maybe push that CPU a little bit harder to 4.0 or 4.2,  if it will go that far..

That will get you that little bit of more fluid motion that will help you more than a new yoke.. IMHO.

Honestly I wouldn't buy anything for fsx I'd spend it on more lessons. The yoke you have is more than fine and is virtually the sans as the cessna one anyway.

Why?  Use what you have got!

This all looks plenty good enough... maybe push that CPU a little bit harder to 4.0 or 4.2,  if it will go that far..

That will get you that little bit of more fluid motion that will help you more than a new yoke.. IMHO.

Ok :) I would just think it would probably useful to get at least the TPM for the throttle :P

I don't have any cooler systems in the CPU though...anything you would recommend for the 4670K? Would it affect the life of the processor? 

Thanks!!

Honestly I wouldn't buy anything for fsx I'd spend it on more lessons. The yoke you have is more than fine and is virtually the sans as the cessna one anyway.

Thank you for your input, James! :) Yes, I think I will stick with the yoke.

Definitely monitor your CPU temperatures, keep them at 70 degrees C, no higher than 80 and you'll be fine.

My 4770K runs quite cool at 4.0 without any fancy cooling.  If you do not increase the voltage, you will not affect the CPU lifespan.

Definitely monitor your CPU temperatures, keep them at 70 degrees C, no higher than 80 and you'll be fine.

My 4770K runs quite cool at 4.0 without any fancy cooling.  If you do not increase the voltage, you will not affect the CPU lifespan.

Thank you for that info! I might get the Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo, is that good? If 70C is ok, then I can overclock quite a bit in fact! I'm quite lower than that so that's good to hear!

I'll second (or third, I guess) what has been said; you shouldn't waste any time/money sprucing up your computer or FS Hardware. The A2A aircraft I'm sure is loads of fun to fly in FS, but in terms of actual training it just won't cut it. You need to get a feel for the aircraft, and you simply can't get that in the sim. The only thing that I would use it for would be cockpit familiarization, but the 172s cockpit is so simple that after 2-3 flights you will be able to find anything in it with your eyes closed (which you hopefully won't do!) I have about 120 hours, about 70 of which are in the 172, and IMO the sim version is almost nothing like flying the real airplane. 

Save your money and fly, fly, fly as much as possible! Out of curiosity, what model 172 will you be flying? I did most of my flying on a 172B, built when President Kennedy had only been in office for 3 months (1961)! Lots of fun, old airplanes are. 

A post titled like this, in this sub-forum caught my attention pretty quick!  ^_^

The wise ones giving advice above are all correct of course.  Home cockpits are more labours of love than anything else, especially for those of us who don't find it terribly realistic to actually pursue a pilots license.  :lol:   As mentioned above, it is a separate project in and of itself;  I've spent countless hours trying to design and then build a generic home cockpit that puts controls in somewhat accurate places for a multitude of different types.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Thank you for that info! I might get the Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo, is that good? If 70C is ok, then I can overclock quite a bit in fact! I'm quite lower than that so that's good to hear!

I'm sure that would be good, if you really want to overclock a lot.. but that gets into increasing voltages etc..

Start with just running all cores at 4.0 and see how it goes  :rolleyes:

I'll second (or third, I guess) what has been said; you shouldn't waste any time/money sprucing up your computer or FS Hardware. The A2A aircraft I'm sure is loads of fun to fly in FS, but in terms of actual training it just won't cut it. You need to get a feel for the aircraft, and you simply can't get that in the sim. The only thing that I would use it for would be cockpit familiarization, but the 172s cockpit is so simple that after 2-3 flights you will be able to find anything in it with your eyes closed (which you hopefully won't do!) I have about 120 hours, about 70 of which are in the 172, and IMO the sim version is almost nothing like flying the real airplane. 

Save your money and fly, fly, fly as much as possible! Out of curiosity, what model 172 will you be flying? I did most of my flying on a 172B, built when President Kennedy had only been in office for 3 months (1961)! Lots of fun, old airplanes are. 

Haha, ok - thank you for your feedback as well! I'm glad it will be simple...I'm so used to flying the 737NGX so hopefully it'll be understandable :D Very cool! Yeah, I believe that most pilots have at least a few hours in the 172.

I will be flying the C172R or C172S out of 39N. http://www.princetonairport.com/our-fleet-of-airplanes-2/

Awesome :) Yeah, they're great!

A post titled like this, in this sub-forum caught my attention pretty quick!  ^_^

The wise ones giving advice above are all correct of course.  Home cockpits are more labours of love than anything else, especially for those of us who don't find it terribly realistic to actually pursue a pilots license.  :lol:   As mentioned above, it is a separate project in and of itself;  I've spent countless hours trying to design and then build a generic home cockpit that puts controls in somewhat accurate places for a multitude of different types.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Lol cool, I'm glad it did :)

Yes, they are! They seem quite hard, and money is definitely sparse when learning how to fly...

Thank you!

I'm sure that would be good, if you really want to overclock a lot.. but that gets into increasing voltages etc..

I actually don't want to overclock extremely.

I guess I'll do that, and hopefully all goes well! I don't have any special cooler items installed, just the stock Intel CPU. Thank you :)

Nice thread. Lots of useful advice out here. :)

Thank you. Indeed, all of you guys are quite helpful!

I adjusted the CPU Ratio/Multiplier to 40 and now have it running stable at 4.0GHZ. On the NGX VC at JFK, the max temp I got was 70C. Thanks!!

I have my cockpit sim well done with high end computer, I was eager to build it, spend my money on equipments... but then I'm still not satisfied and don't play as often as I thought I will.

Why? because it's really not like a real cessna flying experience, maybe it need the motion thing that pro simcockpit like boeing have. Even this will not replace the feeling in a real cessna.

The odor of fuel, the heat or cold sensation when onboard, the altitude feeling, vibration, noises, radio coms.....

I was first thinking that flight sim is really great for training but i was wrong. It's now like a car simulator game for me. So same as you go in an advance arcade car simulator game.

So sim enthusiasms that spends ten thousand dollar to build a 737 cockpit are spending their money for it but I won't do it.

I have my cockpit sim well done with high end computer, I was eager to build it, spend my money on equipments... but then I'm still not satisfied and don't play as often as I thought I will.

Why? because it's really not like a real cessna flying experience, maybe it need the motion thing that pro simcockpit like boeing have. Even this will not replace the feeling in a real cessna.

The odor of fuel, the heat or cold sensation when onboard, the altitude feeling, vibration, noises, radio coms.....

I was first thinking that flight sim is really great for training but i was wrong. It's now like a car simulator game for me. So same as you go in an advance arcade car simulator game.

So sim enthusiasms that spends ten thousand dollar to build a 737 cockpit are spending their money for it but I won't do it.

This is so true. I just had my first flying lesson today and wow....just incredible. The moment I took off...nothing is better than that! I think I'll just stick with what I have.