Sign in to follow this  
do_denver2

CPU spikes every few minutes causing low FPS and stutters

Well I welcome any suggestions but Vector isn't the cause at my end. Just reinstalled p3d for the umpteenth time on my ssd. Only addon is orbx england and its 04 patch. Started with a night time approach to lba and bam, about 5 seconds into the flight a nasty attack of the stutters that lasted 3 or 4 seconds. Fps before and after was about 60 (settings toned down but still looks gorgeous).

Got sysmon on second screen (and no, that's not a clue as I still have stutters when I disable it) but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Hoping to be able to spot what's happening the next time i get a stutter attack but I would really appreciate guidance on where to focus my attention and how to set up the monitor to assist.

thanks

The one thing that I never understood about page faults is if you have enough physical RAM, then why bother with the paging file at all? I know that Windows likes to cache a lot of OS stuff in the paging file for  potential use later. That's why MS recommends to have a page file even if you have a lot of physical RAM. You can see that mechanism in action if you watch the types of RAM usage with Process Explorer. I have some copies of the OS Service Host (svchost.exe) using 4 GB+ of virtual RAM, which vastly exceeds what that process' maximum peak working set is.

When I run Latency Monitor I usually see only 1 or 2 hard page faults and one is always from the Latency Monitor itself. But then again I have 40 GB of physical RAM.

Anyone care to share any further insight into page faults?

When I run Latency Monitor I usually see only 1 or 2 hard page faults and one is always from the Latency Monitor itself. But then again I have 40 GB of physical RAM.

Did you run the FS while you did the LatencyMon? If not you should do and see what happens.

Spirit

PS: One can also set the pagefile to zero (means no pagefile) but it's said that this is nonsense. I'm doing this since a few days and it's not so bad.

I dont pretend to know a lot about the page file except, if I reduce it to 512mb (a suggestion I picked up from somewhere) P3d with high settings oom's in under 1hr, if I set the page file to let windows manage I can fly for 2 or 3 hrs without oom no problem, and I have repeated that test at least half a dozen times.

The fact that I only have 8gb ram may or may not have a bearing on page file use.

If the op has altered the page file then it may be worth reseting.

Needless to say I have it set to let windows manage.

Mick

Needless to say I have it set to let windows manage.

It's always a trade off. Unless you have core 0 excluded with affinity mask there is always the possibility of inducing stutters should Windows decide to do some housecleaning in the middle of a flight.

Whatever works for you is what is important.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The fact that I only have 8gb ram may or may not have a bearing on page file use.

Maybe that's a reason. I've 16 GB and no problems so far without any pagefile.

Spirit

Dear all,

I’m very happy to have found someone with exactly the same issue.
I’ve a i7-4770k, no OC, 16GB RAM and a GTX 670 2GB. I think a good PC for flight.
Now I’m using P3D v2.3, no edit on Prepar3d.cfg, flying with the new Airbus A319 (the new Aerosoft product delivered on 24th September, I think really optimized for P3D). When I move from the parking stand stutters arise (only few seconds) and then during takeoff. During the flight no issues… and again on landing, where the Airbus isn’t usable at all (too many stutters!) and I cannot land manually (if I have chance I’ve inserted the autoland feature, in the middle of two stutters!).
I’ve monitored the CPU usage with CPU temp software and the results are exactly as yours: core 0 works in a great way, without reaching high loads, despite others (core 1-3)  that produce spikes in those moments (ground movements, takeoff, landing). Absolutely no issues regarding temperature, always at 50-55°C.
I don’t know what I can do… is it an issue regarding P3D v2.3? Do I have too much load inside the simulator? It’s strange, all autogen feature is at medium level…

What do you think about?

Thank you,

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro, not sure from your post if you're saying that the extreme stuttering is predictable but I was suffering from intermittent and unpredicable stuttering. Before and after these events everything was smooth as silk but when they kicked in (for no obvious reason) fps would slump to single figures for a few seconds and all hell would break loose. The cure turned out to be disabling Core 0 using the Afficinity Setting for p3d.exe in Task Manager. I haven't had a single recurrence since unchecking that box and haven't noticed any unforeseen consequences. Worth a try?

Hi soppie,

thanks a lot for your suggestion. Just today v2.4 has been launched. I'll try it asap but if stutters continue I could try to set up the Affinity Mask to avoid core 0 to work at all.

I have the same problem, after few minutes the frames drop down !!!!!!

Its a big problem guys !!!!!

Some things I would try.

1.  Turn your overclocking off (use Auto for CPU and Memory timing)

2.  List all 5 pages of your graphics settings including an GPU control panel settings or nVidia settings  

3.  List all add-ons you are using and how they are configured (all details including other products that get added like RAAS)

4.  Disable everything in your DLL.XML and EXE.XML

Other suggestions:

a.  Start with a clean V2.4 full install and see if you can duplicate

b.  If you are using nVidia Inspector delete the profile you setup

c.  nVidia Control panel find the Prepar3d.exe and click the "Restore" button to rest it to defaults

d.  Make sure you have the latest video drivers

e.  Purchase/Install AVG PC Tune up ... makes it easy to identify and disable tasks running in the background

f.  Turn off Windows Update

g.  Disable any anti-virus/malware

h.  Disable Windows Index servicing

Memory timing/OC is a known source of page faults.  

SGSS AA is another source of stutters.

Texture sizes above 1024 will also be another source of stutters.

I'd start with 1-4 above to get problem resolution.

On a side note: please don't PM to look at threads unless you feel they are violations of AVSIM ToS.  

Cheers, Rob.