Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

what is the best monitor for my new Rig for FSX

Hi,

I just purchased a new gaming rig just to run FSX only and I wanted to purchase a new monitor and was wondering what it the best fit for FSX. I currently have a 19" from my old set up running a 1680x1050 resolution and my card is a new NVIDIA GTX7702GB Superclocked. For some reason it seems that I am missing out with such a small screen

I don't want to go higher than 27"  since to me that would be an overkill :smile:.

Any advice or input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards.

F.

I have a LG LED 27" widescreen with IPD which is better colour quality, I think its great i run it at 1920 x1080 and looks beautiful

I also have LCD Samsung 32" Screen and i would say when i went back to the 27" screen i didn't really like it made it not feel like a cockpit so i have gone back to the 32" screen, Its not really overkill it looks really great and i run the 32" @ 1920 x 1080 as my cockpit screen and use the LG 27" as my approach charts, sids, stars and other information screen 

I run GTX 780 3gig 

Matt

If you're a "one-monitor" flyer, take a gander at Dell Ultrasharp U3011, it's a 30" and it literally opened up my FS experience. At a normal viewing distance the cockpit looks the correct size. With the sRGB profile enabled, the graphics and color quality is excellent.

Cheers,

23.png

Hi Folks;

Thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate it. You both are on at least 30" monitor and like it so I will take a look at the 30 and 32' you mentioned and make a selection from there. 

I guess I will be seeing FS in a brand new light since I have been using the 19" since back in 04 :wink:

Thanks again.

Forshaw

i use a high quality 32 inch tv as my monitor, 1080p, my next choice is gonna be a 4k monitor when they come down,if you have a large flat screen tv, it works good for flying as well,i sometimes run an hdmi cord from my pc to my 50 inch 1080p tv and fly, the bigger the better it is to fly in my opinion, as far as desktop screens anything dell, such as ultra sharp if you can afford it, asus makes good screens along with LG, BenQ, i have had good luck with all those, suggest if you have a large pc store around like tiger direct you can pick it out and in my case i had tiger direct turn the screen on in the store to make sure it did not have any dead pixels.going from a 19 inch to anything 27 inch which are pretty cheap anywhere, i think you will be pleased.

Just got the benq BL3200PT

32 inch @ 2560 x 1600

Couldn't be happier after calibration.

I used to use a 27 inch Asus LED as my primary monitor, then I moved house and we freed up a 1080P LG42 in LED TV,

I figured why not give it a go, have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The immersion level is fantastic. I was considering 2 further 27 inch Asus but I think I will stick with the 42 LG. TrackIR could well be my next purchase,

I am running an Asus GTX780

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Wow, you folks are really pushing the envelope here from my prospective :smile: . I have got a 42" TV for my house for a few years now and I still consider it huge, as you can probably tell I am not too big on TV sizes and I hardly watch TV.

As you can see from my original post I have a 19" for FSX since 2006 and I am still struggling with the idea to upgrade past 32". Going to 27" to me is just about right (middle of the road) since I am not sure how much I will gain going to 32"+. Given what my trade off may be with some reduction in FPS with increased resolution and everything else that goes with the increased elongation.

Just my thought on this. If my assumptions are incorrect, please do let me know.

Still looking to get the 27 or passible the 32”

Best Regards.

F.

In my opinion it makes little to talk about monitor size, numbers of pixels is the king.

The larger the monitor the farther away it has to be from eyes or I will have a fuzzy picture.

There is also another complication - monitor that is far away is good for scenery but bad for panel

and vice-versa. Therefore I think 3d monitor is an ideal solution for flight simulators,

putting both the scenery and aircraft panel on the same plane is very unnatural.

Has anyone used a 21:9 ultrawide such as the LG 34um65 (2560x1080) or 34um95 (3440x1440) ? That's what I am eyeing right now, as it is like an extra width 27" with no bezel (37.7"x15")....

f37b8937_ETo8owy.png

I actually looked at the LG 34" 3440x1440 but it was $1200

Didn't like the 2560x1080 version - not enough vertical pixels for my liking.

The Benq 32" at 2560x1440 seemed a good fit. 

So as an experiment, I moved my rig back into the study and hooked up my old 1080 27" 16:9 monitor last night... coming from a 40" hdtv that I've been using with my entire rig in the living room it's a severe step down in immersion! The LG 34" is the same size vertically as the 27"...you're right. I miss the extra vertical size of the hdtv and probaly wouldn't be happy with the LG ....it looks like the BenQ 32" is -almost- as big as a 40".... now I can't decide between the BenQ at the higher resolution vs getting a 55" inch tv for the living room :lol:  and putting the 40" back in the study!

Would my rig handle the BenQ's increased resolution? i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz gtx 770 16gb ram ?

Hi Folks;

I am down to 2 choices and need your input.

1) Asus 24" VG248QE - 1 ms GTG response and no ISP

2) Asus 27" MX279H - 5ms GTG response and IPS.

My question is will I notice the difference between 1 vs. 5 ms with FSX given the trade off I am getting an IPS and 27 inches. The price difference is only about $20.

The reason of these choices is because of my play work area. I am limited to 24.5 " W 18.5 H. With those limitations I have to be carefully look a the dimensions of all monitors. If I have to bring the monitors out of the boxed area for the monitor then it will be approximately only 15' from my eyes which is not good given the viewing size of the monitors. My desk space is small.

Any input on those choices would be greatly appreciated or on any other monitors. These monitors seem to be pretty good for FSX.

I am using a NVIDIA GTX 770 Super Clocked -2GB.

Thanks very much.

Forshaw.

i am using a 39 inch 1080p tv as my monitor, and wanting to go down to a 27 inch benq monitor,someone told me that a tv and an actual monitor isnt the same, i am just looking for a nice smooth experience.how you guys afford this amazingly high resolution monitors is beyond me.

So as an experiment, I moved my rig back into the study and hooked up my old 1080 27" 16:9 monitor last night... coming from a 40" hdtv that I've been using with my entire rig in the living room it's a severe step down in immersion! The LG 34" is the same size vertically as the 27"...you're right. I miss the extra vertical size of the hdtv and probaly wouldn't be happy with the LG ....it looks like the BenQ 32" is -almost- as big as a 40".... now I can't decide between the BenQ at the higher resolution vs getting a 55" inch tv for the living room :lol: and putting the 40" back in the study!

Would my rig handle the BenQ's increased resolution? i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz gtx 770 16gb ram ?

I haven't had any problem with my 770 at 2560x1440

I find at these higher resolutions that you can drop the aa down a notch which helps