Sign in to follow this  
Tushka

SU567 Moscow - Pyongyang with Tu-154B2

I finally landed at Pyongyang, after all this time! 12+ hours at least this whole thing and now I am incredibly exhausted. Flights like these are fun to make but due to real life commitments not many times can do.

The leg Moscow - Omsk and Omsk- Irkutsk can be seen earlier in this thread.

This is the last leg of the flight Moscow - Pyongyang and all went fine to perfection and the GASAN arrival to ZKPY was very fun to do as somehow the DPRK has enougn navaids for these sort of approaches, more so than many other countries due to the pushing of RNAV only.

As our plane is still at Irkutsk and finally refuelled we take control of the plane once again:

9141262e26d038035e9b78e24cd8380a.jpg

Engines started, systems working, non eventful taxi, I keep it short not to spam the thread too much, here is take off from Irkutsk and it all went smoothly:

ad5ec9c86435db59814b5f10e63c7eb2.jpg

Sunrise arriving, climbing GOLOS SID

c53cf3205f54e5876aeaee326d20327b.jpg

8589cbe14b8fcc476e693b300f06acc3.jpg

Early morning, it won't be too long before daylight is here. It feels like this flight has taken a whole evening, night and morning due to the timezone differences and long technical stop times:

124c38f3372330570b1bca127a500cdd.jpg

Somewhere over China, it is now daylight and nothing is going on the plane except some old music to keep the flightcrew awake on such tiring flight:

51a7a510aed546edd98819f9ad0ed908.jpg

cca0a643d5fdac8875465ab503fd5894.jpg

Configuring radio navigation systems for the GASAN arrival at Pyongyang, we are about 15 minutes from descent:

96aede763b87f816b142a4f249b366af.jpg

Crossing the China-North Korea border, the river is an obvious landmark pinpointing this interesting crossover:

566a0dd102fd4c21ddd26937baec8692.jpg

Fully configured for landing, lined up with ILS Runway 19 :)

240929c0c42f09749bc9f69b8e5cb248.jpg

ILS malfunction, works but is somehow not aligned with the runway hence a visual landing was made instead. Probably they have radio interference or something similar:

731c4323f5e51addb08b9d8b5094b13b.jpg

After taxiing for 15 minutes due to RWY1/19 are far away from the terminal. And yes, I had to endure the horrible Aeroflot music again from the loudspeakers hence I taxiied a bit faster than usual. In total I got 10 minutes late at our stand but it's still not too bad for such an unpredictable flight. Here is a view of the cockpit just to get you an idea of how it feels to fly a Tu-154 airliner:

a051d90c6651314adc324645e2bbc13c.jpg

4513a741cd8c46c86e3192224e120162.jpg

6fdbfec33a0f21e7150d84f98c757472.jpg

And lastly, when walking towards the airport you will obviously get this sight:

f2cf9c341368a4b14daa05f9618f6ecc.jpg

However... I won't say anything about it, except for that if I was their great leader I wouldn't want to have my portrait everywhere! :unsure:  And no... I won't start a thread on whether portraits should be banned from airports :db:

Lastly... I arrived at Pyongyang at 10:39 DPRK time and obviosly will not fly the 13:05 DPRK time return flight to Moscow... I would rather file sick or get too drunk to fly!! Now... to sleep...

57fb15c8ccb922ce919ee57bb9101c3f.png

One more addition, people say longhauls are boring. Well... I did a longhaul, was it boring? I liked every minute of it. Always had something to do because of complex aircraft and timetables to keep, not to mention service stops further enhance the enjoyment instead of flying direct 12 hours while sleeping. Hence I can now safely say the fact you have nothing to do on long hauls, are no longer valid!

Outstanding post. I wish I had the patience/time to fly more long hauls.

Nice pics.

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

This plane look like a lot of fun and just my style. I downloaded and installed it in FSX. It's showing up in Sim Objects>airplanes but it's not showing up anywhere when I go to select a plane on FSX splash page.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Cheers,

Brian

Amazing stuff! It must have been a bit tight for real pilots to fly those Tupolevs, but surely it was a great deal of fun. :dance:

These are great screenshots of a truely unique plane, imbedded into a certainly great to read flightreport - enjoyed watching and reading it all the way!

Super!

This plane look like a lot of fun and just my style. I downloaded and installed it in FSX. It's showing up in Sim Objects>airplanes but it's not showing up anywhere when I go to select a plane on FSX splash page.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Cheers,

Brian

Are you sure it's installed correctly? It should be under a menu "Project Tupolev" on the FSX select aircraft menu.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian

I had the same issues.

As Tushka has stated, that Project Tupolev goes into the FSX root directory. Copy/paste the contents of the Gauges/Effects folders in the relevant folders in FSX. Likewise, copy/paste the actual plane found in that unzipped SimObjects/Airplanes into the FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes and you are good to go.

For everyone that's having trouble, the installation really is easy. Just open the installer, point it to your FSX path and you're good to go (you have to install both plane and update).

If your KLN90B GPS screen is only half, you could change your windows locale to Russian, it solved this issue for many people.

But I recommend flying by INS navigation system or NVU navigation system, also of course, if you live in a country where VOR to VOR use is possible you can do that.

(Even if you copied over the files from a location where you wrongly installed your plane to, I would suggest to rerun the installer and point it to your FSX drive as this is a complex aircraft and requieres registry entries for navigation calculator (yes, it makes your flightplans, exports it to your aircrafts navigation system) and load manager.

Thanks, Neuhaus, but that's a dead link.

Indeed, Tushka, looks a very interesting proposition to try out.

It worked for me just yesterday.  :unsure:

It's not the link in the OP, but the one posted by user ce_zeta (a dropbox link). I didn't want to link it directly.

Great flight report Tushka, really enjoyed reading it and chatting with you last night. Thanks!

It worked for me just yesterday.  :unsure:

It's not the link in the OP, but the one posted by user ce_zeta (a dropbox link). I didn't want to link it directly.

Great flight report Tushka, really enjoyed reading it and chatting with you last night. Thanks!

haha, thanks! Have you managed to familiarize yourself with the plane yet?

I will do in a couple of days a new tripreport on the Tu-144D and of course Tu-134A. I have provided a lot of information and manuals for the Tu-134A so it shouldn't be an issue if people want to fly the Tu-154s older brother :)

This addon looks SUPERB...I just keep getting intimidated by the fact that it's all in Russian...and it's a very complex airplane to manage.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Don't be intimidated by the 'Russian', unless you just happen to be in Eastern Ukraine at present :ph34r: !

Really, the cockpit may seem a bit intimidating at first, but if you have the English text and you have it up on a second screen and use split screen mode, you will find the cockpit and how to manage it fairly simple.

Having set-up the joystick and understood the many screens, bringing the cockpit alive and hearing the lovely sound of the engines, you will be in the sky in no time. Then you can delve into understand its idiosyncrasies. Understanding the start-up from cold and dark, along with the autopilot at all stages of flight, does not require a PhD, but more of how to use a PDF document on screen B) !

Happy flying and remember to use flight plans to skirt around Ukraine!

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

haha, thanks! Have you managed to familiarize yourself with the plane yet?

I will do in a couple of days a new tripreport on the Tu-144D and of course Tu-134A. I have provided a lot of information and manuals for the Tu-134A so it shouldn't be an issue if people want to fly the Tu-154s older brother :)

I managed to get most systems started, take-off and land. I couldn't get rid of the takeoff-warning however.. I had lights on, flaps 15, nose wheel steering at 10 degrees, all trims showing green light etc. And I couldn't trim the elevator, on the ground or in-flight.. I didn't start everything in the correct order though, despite the manual clearly stating you should.

I managed to get most systems started, take-off and land. I couldn't get rid of the takeoff-warning however.. I had lights on, flaps 15, nose wheel steering at 10 degrees, all trims showing green light etc. And I couldn't trim the elevator, on the ground or in-flight.. I didn't start everything in the correct order though, despite the manual clearly stating you should.

Boosters closed? Warning light off?