Sign in to follow this  
adamgerrywatt

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Installation Keeps Getting Stuck On 'Removing Applications'

Hi, I'll describe exactly what problem is occuring.

Program: Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition

System Specs: Dell Optiplex 745

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHZ

VTX3D Radeon HD 7750 1GB Edition

4GB RAM

Windows Vista 32 Bit

Background Info: This is my second time installing FSX ever and I unistalled for a fresh install after a build up of unwanted addons.

Problem: I insert FSX install disc 1 and autoplay come up and i click on run now. the installer now runs and begins setting up. Once the installer is ready on options menu comes up where I can choose install location etc... After choosing my install location etc... the game begins to install. There is one large windows which is black with no image and one smaller windows that is running through the setup. Once it gets to 'Removing Applications' it seems to get stuck. The progress shows 7 blue bars. No matter how long I leave the installer running nothing happens and it continues to say 'Removing Applications' The installer isn't 'not responding' according to task manager.

If you require any futher info please let me know.

Many thanks,

Adam

Sounds like you still have pieces of the old install left behind.

What did you do to remove the FSX first install? Did you manually clean up the files and folders left behind?

I have encountered the same situation 3 times when uninstalling and reinstalling FSX.

- Firstly, please make sure you have no option anymore to uninstall FSX via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel

- Secondly, follow the guides to clean up the leftovers on your hard disk, as described in the guides on Avsim/PMDG

- Thirdly, in the past you would have run the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility". However, Microsoft abandoned this tool some years ago and now they have a FixIt called " Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter "

you can find it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en

the downloaded file will be:

MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.MATSKB.Run.exe

It basicly has the same goal as the older version, but now it's more up to standard with their latest OS'es.

- So download the FixIt

- Run the FixIt

- Choose that you have problems UNinstalling a program

- The tool will look in the registry for "installed programs" and you will see Microsoft Flight Simulator X listed in the overview.

- Select it, and instruct the tool to clean up the mess that FSX's installer left behind.

A reboot might be adviced after this, and you should be able to install FSX again.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Recently did a fresh install of windows followed by fsx install and suffered the removing applications stall, but if you leave it alone for up to 5 mins the rest of the install springs into life and loads as normal.

Did initially think my instal was messed up but left it to see what happened ... Just stick with it and it will work

I have encountered the same situation 3 times when uninstalling and reinstalling FSX.

- Firstly, please make sure you have no option anymore to uninstall FSX via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel

- Secondly, follow the guides to clean up the leftovers on your hard disk, as described in the guides on Avsim/PMDG

- Thirdly, in the past you would have run the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility". However, Microsoft abandoned this tool some years ago and now they have a FixIt called " Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter "

you can find it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en

the downloaded file will be:

MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.MATSKB.Run.exe

It basicly has the same goal as the older version, but now it's more up to standard with their latest OS'es.

- So download the FixIt

- Run the FixIt

- Choose that you have problems UNinstalling a program

- The tool will look in the registry for "installed programs" and you will see Microsoft Flight Simulator X listed in the overview.

- Select it, and instruct the tool to clean up the mess that FSX's installer left behind.

A reboot might be adviced after this, and you should be able to install FSX again.

Yep, that worked and FSX is installing as I type this.

Thanks alot for all the help, much appreciated!

Glad I could be of any help! :)

I have this procedure/tool stored on my USB HDD and have it always near me for future reference.

Enjoy the joy of a clean FSX...

Enjoy the installation of your preferred add-ons

Enjoy... while it lasts

lol

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne