Sign in to follow this  
Guest secks

VCs

Andreas:All I was trying to point out that a few of your arguments against the VC were a bit misinformed (i.e. takes a supercomputer to run properly, can't pan around effectively, need Track IR, technology does not exist to use 3D cockpit correctly.) I was merely trying to point those things out to you.There is noting wrong with a spirited debate as we all enjoy them here at Avsim. I would never be angry with anyone vigorously arguing their point.Regards,Mike T.

I'll not waste anyone's time telling which type of cockpit I prefer since what I prefer shouldn't make any difference to you. I can tell you that the kind you prefer makes no difference to me. I believe both types should be retained since they both have something to offer in overcoming the inherent limitations of sumlation versus the real thing.But I would like a couple of things cleared up if someone has the answers for me. As I understand it, the VC being a good deal darker than the 2D cockpit is due to some limitation of FS. And the fact that the whole panel is lighted at night in a VC rather than simply having backlighted gauges is also a limitation of FS. Is that right? And are those limitations so deeply rooted in the FS engine that they will likely always be there?Since I don't design panels, etc. I was just wondering about those things.Dewey

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I don't find most VC panels to be too dark at all.

>But I would like a couple of things cleared up if someone has>the answers for me. As I understand it, the VC being a good>deal darker than the 2D cockpit is due to some limitation of>FS. And the fact that the whole panel is lighted at night in>a VC rather than simply having backlighted gauges is also a>limitation of FS. Is that right? And are those limitations>so deeply rooted in the FS engine that they will likely always>be there?>Many 3rd party VC's have great looking backlit gauges. This is not a problem. Gauges on, and dome light off. In daytime flight, depending on the sun angle, VC panels do become too shaded. The fix is dome lighting which some programmers turn on by default.L.Adamson

Yes, I'm familiar with the dome lighting issue. Hmm. I'm not sure I have any VC's where the cockpit is dark and only the guages are lighted. Maybe I need to take another look at that. It might be that I just tend to fly the same few planes most of the time and the issue is only with those. But it seems to me this came up before and one of the designers said it was just a limitation of FS and couldn't be helped.Oh well. If it isn't, it isn't. And I hope it isn't!Dewey

>Yes, I'm familiar with the dome lighting issue. Hmm. I'm>not sure I have any VC's where the cockpit is dark and only>the guages are lighted. Maybe I need to take another look at>that. It might be that I just tend to fly the same few planes>most of the time and the issue is only with those. But it>seems to me this came up before and one of the designers said>it was just a limitation of FS and couldn't be helped.>>Oh well. If it isn't, it isn't. And I hope it isn't!>>DeweyKeep in mind, you have shadows come into play on a 3D cockpit where as you don't in the 2D depending on which direction you are headed, which makes lighting, or lack of more noticable.The one thing about this thread I find interesting is how strict many users are in their choice (I will never use a VC they are the work of the devil, etc) While I am in the 100% VC camp and don't d/l anything that doesn't have one, I can appreciate the 2D for more technical aircraft, just because the flexability of systems managment Isn't quite there yet. I find that most 2D panels take up the whole screen, blocking my view of the wonderful scenery, and obstructing my landing view! LOLI did an IFR flight in IMC the other day in the B200 (thanks to RW weather) and while I can appreciate the complexity of the 2d panel that was the most boring flight I have had in FS (although I probably would have wet my pants in the real world! LOL).Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Very good points Michael!!! :-beerchug I haven't thought about it until now but your right. After flying so much in the VC, my landing view can be tremendously hampered using the 2D panel. Seeing that the 2D panel takes up most of the screen, the viewable outside window has to be adjusted to compensate for the size of the 2D panel. When landing the runway can appear smaller and farther out than it actually is. If the window isn't adjusted right for the 2D panel in question, you can lose the runway below your panel when the aircraft's nose is pitched up on final approach... To maintain the view of the runway you would have to land at a higher speed thus causing the nose to lower a bit but the trade off is you

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest IanP

Hobbies don't have to cost anything - FS does, but doesn't have to cost a fortune. What matters is the time you put into them and the enjoyment you get out of them. We'll have to disagree on that one. ;-)In my opinion, Microsoft will increase the quality and usability of the VC in FS10 - it is a very good feature and deserves developing. What I do not see, however, is the 2d panels being removed. Apart from anything else, by ensuring that everyone has to look at the inside of the aircraft, you just drove every home cockpit/flight deck users directly to X-Plane. There are more and more people doing that, to one degree or another, and they're not going to want to look around the inside of a virtual flight deck when there is a physical one in front of them!Like I have said consistently, if I were MS, I would not want to expand my user base, not reduce it, so I would keep both. Ian P.

Guest IanP

The first thing I do when I switch to a VC is turn the cockpit lights on to improve the clarity of the gauges. I've also read that many times in readmes as a tip to remember when using them. ;-)Ian P.

Guest IanP

Landing is the one time that - on a "heads up" approach anyway - I almost always use a VC. For an IFR approach, though, where the view outside is unimportant (and most commonly just plain grey! ;-) ), I will use a 2d view for the higher refresh rate and larger gauges.I am still firmly of the opinion that the flexibility provided by both is a little too good to lose. That's just me though. :-)Cheers folks.Ian P.

>In my opinion, Microsoft will increase the quality and>usability of the VC in FS10 - it is a very good feature and>deserves developing. What I do not see, however, is the 2d>panels being removed. Apart from anything else, by ensuring>that everyone has to look at the inside of the aircraft, you>just drove every home cockpit/flight deck users directly to>X-Plane. There are more and more people doing that, to one>degree or another, and they're not going to want to look>around the inside of a virtual flight deck when there is a>physical one in front of them!>>Like I have said consistently, if I were MS, I would not want>to expand my user base, not reduce it, so I would keep both. >And then of course X-Plane is trying real hard to make virtual cockpits a more designer friendly reality! IMO--- when the VC resembles 2D clarity everywhere you look, then 2D's won't be needed by anyone.L.Adamson

VC's are a waste of time and resources that are uselessly entertaining the Main CPU and the Video Card chewing precious RAM in the process.We are using PC

Guest Zevious Zoquis

hopefully, that was a joke...

>..... VC's are a waste of time and resources that are uselessly>entertaining the Main CPU and the Video Card chewing precious>RAM in the process......."Howdy tex,go fer yer gun,it's high noon"like me,you'll be slayed,if not,then it must be me.i'm firmly on your side though :)away with vc's,and away with those that pester us with stories on how great they are (vc and folk hailing vc alike)i mean,it''s not like i'm harrassing everybody with stories on my 2d panels eh :(tataJP.