Sign in to follow this  
mfperks

Grid plane being exported to FSX from GMAX

Bumped into the steep learning curved using GMAX to create FSX scenery (these forums very helpful). Just about there with first efforts but still haven't solved the black texture to buildings (Imagetool re-formatting of 24  bit bmps to dxt5 isn't working for me) but will come right on that. The bigger problem is that GMAX is exporting the ground level grid as a texture which shows up as a bright purple flashing square in FSX. How do I turn this off? Thanks for any assistance.

Apparently this is an object you're using as some sort of guide in gmax? In that case you can either delete it before you export (but don't save the file that way) or you can select everything you want to export and use "Export selected" instead of just "Export".

24-bit .bmps by definition have no alpha channel so you might as well use DXT1 for those. The RGB is the same as DXT5, it's just that any alpha channel will be either black or white with DXT1 where DXT5 can support shades of gray on the alpha channel.

Jim

Wow Jim, thanks for the prompt response. The surface coming up in FSX matches the "Grid" at ground level in GMax. Here's a screengrab. In Gmax it can't be selected for deletion, and turning it off before export doesn't make any difference. Don't know where the purple texture is coming from....Clipboard01_zps12621da8.jpg

I'll go the "Export Selected" route and report back...

Worked like a charm thanks! Must have created something without realising it in the maze of frustration trying to make "friends" with Gmax on a first project. Now for those black textures...Clipboard02_zps5a2740e6.jpg

If it can't be selected for deletion it's possible that it's "frozen" in which case it will appear gray like the surroundings. Right click the viewport and choose "unfreeze all" and I'm guessing you'll see a large purple plane appear which you should now be able to select and delete.

EDIT: Black usually means you have a missing texture in your texture folder BTW, are you sure all textures that are assigned to the model are being converted and placed in the texture folder?

Jim

On the black texture issue: Many hours and possible combinations of export and file conversions later, simple lesson learned: DON'T store the source bmps in the same texture folder as the DDS files!

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be back as more complex models spring to mind for creation.