Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

So when is the last time you crashed?

Guest Kingair315

Have had two really memorable crashes, the first over a decade ago, was flying from KFUL to KPDX in a C182R... It can get to be a boring flight, so decided to to touch & go's at each airfield in sight...Forgetting, that so many changes in altitude, blew all my flight plan, and fuel requirements up. It also distracted me enough, so I forgot all about refuling at one of these dozens of airfields.Had climbed to about 8-9000 and was looking for another field, when the engine quit. Trying to restart it, realized why I was out of fuel... Fortunately, (I thought) could see another field ahead, and from this altitude, if I controled my glide, should be able to make it. BUT, had to make a turn to final, - and - made it too far out... Crashed about a football field away from the runway... Ive never run out of fuel since.The other, was in an F-15, a flight from El Toro Marine base to Nellis... Should have been a piece of cake. There was quite an overcast, and as I was coming down through it, at about 12,000 ran smack into a Mountain... NOW, that mountain should never have been there, forget the version, but it was the one with "invisible" mountains, some which really did not exist at all. For there is no Mountain 12,000 ft high enroute to Nellis. Can just imagine how that F-15 was spread across the land, in pieces about 6" big... ;-)MY family buried me between two desk blotters...-----Those who have seen my messages for years, Know how addicted to the FS I've been.... Now, I have another addiction which takes as much time ! Between FS and this, it takes most every waking hour. Just Click to see what I've done lately, Bobhttp://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsouthwestQ5fartist

Just happened to me last night.I was flying a Dreamfleet B727-200 UPSVAC flight from KDFW to KIAH, with ATC provided by Radar Contact V3 and with Ultimate Traffic providing realistic traffic at airports and in the skies. The entire flight itself was uneventful--a usual occurrence these days for me--except for the end.At KIAH, however, traffic to take off was lined up five or six deep. On my first approach, Radar Contact ATC cleared me to land, but at the last minute, there was a runway incursion and my landing was aborted. ATC vectored me to another landing, again I was cleared to land, and again, there was a landing incursion.I think the problem here was that Radar Contact is aware of traffic but can't actually control it--in this case, it can sense that traffic is on the runway, but it can't tell traffic lined up to hold until my aircraft has landed.Anyway, as I was executing the second missed approach, in trying to tune radios, set throttles, retract gear and flaps, and so on, I realized only at the last second that I was about to perform a CFIT. :-(Of course, I crashed--first time in a long time, right in the middle of KIAH.Joel Murray

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Guest ssurjap

A couple of days ago. I didn't really crash. I just landed in the grass at KMWH. I was using the Learjet and I came in too fast and too low. I tried to control her but wound up in the grass.

I can't remember my last time I crashed... but I think it was with PMDG 737 with hard winds. But not a scheduled online flight or so, rather testing extreme conditions. I think I was testing gusting winds above 35kts.

Guest David Lee 2

I really don't crash much anymore, unless I'm really testing a new model to its limits. Occasionally, though, I will have a real, honest to goodness accident that makes me appreciate the true advantages of simulation. I landed the B200 wheels up a few months ago - I thought it was bleeding off speed way too slowly! A week ago I was flying a VOR approach after months of being spoiled with GPS approaches, and I forgot to turn the OBS after passing the VOR and proceeded to follow the needle on the wrong course right into a mountain. Easy mistake to make, especially if you have some distraction in the plane.David

About 2-3 weeks ago, in Africa - Cape Town, S.A I think. I was flying the Ready-for-Pushback 747-200 in South African "Springbok scheme" livery and after I touched down, my landing gear collapsed. I then realized that I must have been spaced out and not paying attention for my descent rate was much too high - probably around 500 fpm. I just resumed from my last save which I always do in my final approach, and then landed perfectly.LESSON LEARNED: Gotta keep an eye on that VSI, especially during the final phase of approach and landing/touchdown.John