Sign in to follow this  
krieke

Shadows

Hello,

I have read many topics on "how do I get the VC shadows working", including the topics in this forum.

I cannot get this right for the NGX and T7.  :(

In one topic here the final answer is "It works...". :unsure:  That is really helping out !

Could someone please post a little guide on how to get the VC shadows using the fixer toolbox ?

Would make my day ... and of many others I suppose.

Regards.

Hi friends,

I have a little problem with shading... look at front of fuselage:

t2206943_shadowdx10.jpg

My current DX10 SF settings (shadow section) are:

t2208478_shdopt.jpg

What should I change?

Lucas

is that an AI aircraft or one you are flying? Are you using EZDOK? I would uninstall the libraries and check how it is in native Dx10, if its ok reinstall then go into debug and set ShadowVersion to 4, apply and test then to Shadow version 3 and apply if that doesn't work

This is 777 by PMDG - I'm flying it ;)

Yes, EZDOK on board.

I tried turn on "Tuned shadows" and "Reduce Falloff with angle" - no result.

But after changing Shadow Version from 5 to 4 looks much better.

PS. I'm going to try turn the "Show HD exterior shadow" option on ...will see.

Thank you Steve.

Ah yes I am sorry - there is a issue with EZdok and Version 5 shadows - its listed as an issue in the pinned known issues post. I will provide an option to specify EzDOK is being used in 2.5.

Unfortunately, issue still exist - I think it depends on sun light vertical angle towards fuselage. Indeed, Gen3 or Gen4 looks better then Gen5, however there is no perfect. Maybe other options should I change?

Ps. above case is concern external shadow on fuselage (not VC), so I don't know what is relation with EZDOK, beacause pannig from external view is the same with/without EZDOK.

Well you have a very big shadow boost and contrast - I would turn those off then if that doesn't fix it uninstall the libraries and compare. Then look in DX9. I am not sure I see anything badly wrong just the shadows are too emphasised.

Hi Steve, me again,

today I observed similiar problem as above. I have 2.6 version. Fly PMDG777 and have EZDOK. My settings are:

t2275725_debug.jpg

t2275724_shadowset.jpg

...and shadows look like this:

t2275723_shadow.jpg

(look at fuselage and engine...)

With regards,

Lucas

Hi Lucas - Every time you ask I give the same response!! Which is to pause. save the flight, then take pictures in DX9 and default DX10 (with libraries installed) - then step through the various shadow generations with libraries installed.

Hi Steve,

I discovered that with Shadow version 4 there is much better, but the best results I have with "Show HD exterior shadows" option checked.

Ps. Don't be angry, but what is the reason of checking it in DX9 mode? I remember that in DX9 I didn't have similiar issues.

There is other thing makes me confuse... the issue is related with shading on the fuselage and engines case, not stricte external shadows, for example wing shadow on fuselage, but these options I mentioned above, helps - what makes me satisfied :smile:

With regards,

Lucas

I am trying to understand why you are seeing something so strange, therefore I need as much information as possible as I cannot reproduce it.

Telling me various options that you have set doesn't really help me because if I set the same options then I do not see anything remotely like that.

Why I need is to try and understand what influences it and rule out as many things as I can.

Therefore rather than a single shot of that plane I would like to see several pictures in the same conditions.

If I can see in DX9 then I can understand what the lighting on that aircraft should be like in that position.

If I can see a shot in default DX10 I can understand whether it is a DX10 issue in some way or the fixer.

If I can see a shot of the default 737 in exactly the same position that will provide more information - is it in some way related to the model being used - I don't have the 777 so that is a big help.

I too imagine that in an external view EZDOK is the same as spot view but showing a picture of spot view will confirm that we can ignore EZDOK as a cause and since I don't have EZDOK that assists a lot.