Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

i7- 4790K upper frequency

HI, I have upgraded my computer with an i7-4790K, that has a frequency of 4.0 to 4.4 GHz. In the computer specs I always see 4.0 GHz, what should I do in order to have the turbo 4.4 GHZ frequency when running FSX? 

Thanks.

James Goggi

You wont see the overclocked frequency on your system. Get a light monitoring program like CPU-Z from cpuid and you will be able to confirm your multiplier is way up to x44

I have the 4790k I am up to 4.7 stable and do the same thing. 

Good luck.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

If the 4790K is similar to the 4770K, the Intel advertized turbo rate will not be reached in FSX.. at least not automatically.

The Intel specs are are for "one loaded CPU core", and not for multi-core load.. a bit of optimistic advertising..

You may have to set the higher rate in the BIOS.

Bert

Thank you. Can anyone tell me what parameters I need to change in the BIOS (ASUS Z87 motherboard with UEFI BIOS Utility) in order to get the 4.4 GHz or higher all the time?

Thanks!

James Goggi

Your question already reveals that you don't have a clue about overclocking a CPU. Then my only advice is not to try it! You will only get an unstable overclock and start posting questions why FSX always crashes to desktop. Overclocking Haswell CPUs is much more complicated than just changing 1 or 2 settings in the BIOS. At least if you want a really stable overclock.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Well then Carlo...why not post a set of guidlines for the OP to follow; or maybe a link? That would probably be more helpful.

James, Avsim have an excellent software and hardware guide in pdf form. Download and look at that. Also, Asus have several YouTube videos explaining the overclocking process in some detail. If you are concerned about baking your CPU, Intel have performance insurance available at a modest cost; look on their site. Don't know what else you upgraded in your system other than the CPU. You may want to update your specs in your profile. Finally, more power...more heat. Make sure you have adequate cooling.

Graham

Well, but I guess the fact that the i7-4790 has been sold to me with the features "4.0 to 4.4 GHz" should not mean that I must be an expert in order to obtain the 4.4 GHz, it should be kinda automatic, shouldn't it? By the way, Bert wrote "The Intel specs are are for one loaded CPU core, and not for multi-core load ". Ok, isn't FSX the typical software that loads only one core? The turbo frequency should apply to FSX, then.

James Goggi

Well, but I guess the fact that the i7-4790 has been sold to me with the features "4.0 to 4.4 GHz" should not mean that I must be an expert in order to obtain the 4.4 GHz, it should be kinda automatic, shouldn't it? By the way, Bert wrote "The Intel specs are are for one loaded CPU core, and not for multi-core load ". Ok, isn't FSX the typical software that loads only one core? The turbo frequency should apply to FSX, then.

Patched to the latest version (circa 2008?) multicores can be used by FSX for texture loading provided you have the correct AffinityMask.  In general when all cores are functioning you can expect a somewhat lower overclock over apps that only use one core.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

When under load, the 4790k automatically runs at 4.4ghz. To confirm this, run FSX in the background, Use a program such as CPU-Z to make sure the frequency is indeed running at 4400MHZ.

At idle it throttles down to 4.0 or 4000MHZ. 

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

I would not stress out over this.. the CPU will run FSX very nicely "out of the box"  B)

You started out by saying that you never saw the 4.4 in action, and I would indeed suggest that if you are keen to see this, you'll have to set it yourself..  Your Asus board should come with "AI Suite 3" which will allow you set the core frequencies to 4.4 "all cores".. so you can see if this is stable in FSX.

When under load, the 4790k automatically runs at 4.4ghz. To confirm this, run FSX in the background, Use a program such as CPU-Z to make sure the frequency is indeed running at 4400MHZ.

At idle it throttles down to 4.0 or 4000MHZ. 

I would be surprised.. 4.2 more likely..  if the 4770K is any thing to go by.. it is advertized as 3.9, but runs 3.7 under multi-core load.  Would like to hear the outcome  :unsure:

Bert

I'll bet you a beer that it does not.. 4.2 more likely..  if the 4770K is any thing to go by.. it is advertized as 3.9, but runs 3.7 under multi-core load.

4970k not 4770k 

The 4770k's max turbo frequency is 3.9GHZ.

The 4790k has an automatic "max turbo frequency" boost to 4.4 under load. ( without manually overclocking) as it has much improved heat spreading than the 4770k.

I haven't updated my specs, but I am now running the new haswell chip.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

The best guide on the net that I have ever seen for overclocking a 4770K or 4970K is

http://www.simforums...topic46180.html

Sorry, but even though it has some good hints there is a lot of BS in this guide. Would definetely not recommend it.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT