Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

i7- 4790K upper frequency

James,

As many have said, and said well, the 4790 turbo frequency is 4.4Ghz. You don't have to do anything to get that level of performance. The CPU is designed from the factory to get the specified frequency when an application (such as FSX) requires the extra horsepower. Best of luck with the new rig.

Graham

.. and does it indeed run 4.4 when FSX is active?

Yep! Under any significant load, it will automatically hit 4.4. As well as increase Voltage accordingly.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Yep! Under any significant load, it will automatically hit 4.4. As well as increase Voltage accordingly.

OK - thanks for that, I stand corrected  :blush:

Bert

OK - thanks for that, I stand corrected  :blush:

+1 Beer, please.   :lol:

BetaTeamD.png

Reason I questioned it, is that Intel's fine print states:

Maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. Intel Turbo Boost Technology frequency varies depending on workload, hardware, software and overall system configuration.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize frequency and energy efficiency. Note: Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its TDP configuration and data sheet specified power for short durations to maximize performance.

I know that, for the 4770K, that means that it fails to (automatically) reach 3.9 in a multi-core environment - but it would appear, from your comments, that Intel has upped their game with the 4790K  :rolleyes:

Bert

Sorry, but even though it has some good hints there is a lot of BS in this guide. Would definetely not recommend it.

Regardless of what you or anyone else thinks of Nick and his opinions it is the best guide out there for overclocking haswell.

Rather than just say you would not recommend this one post a link to a better one, if you even know of a better one!

The 4790k will by default go up to 4.4 but to make sure it does not throttle down (even in FS) set your Power options in Windows to "High Performance".

For browsing the web or anything else I switch to "Balanced".

You don't really need to overclock this baby, it brings "smoothness" to FSX or P3D more than extra FPS.

There are some good articles on that subject: the 4790K grabs more frames than a 4770k or 3770k. Look at "TechReport" site.

Pierre

There are some good articles on that subject: the 4790K grabs more frames than a 4770k or 3770k. Look at "TechReport" site.

The 4790 is a factory overclocked 4770K, no more, no less..

..and stay at 4.4 with stock cooling?

Impressive!

Bert

..and stay at 4.4 with stock cooling?

Impressive!

Ineed. I consider it to be what the 4770k should have been. I upgraded to Devil's Canyon and couldn't be happier with the overclockability.

I'm on 4.6ghz 1.23v stable.  For comparison, the 4770k I used to have needed 1.33v to get to that speed.  :wacko: Talk about cooking.

BetaTeamD.png

Impressive - what kind of cooling and what kind of temperatures?

Corsair H100i.  Maxes out at around 60-63c under prime 95.

BetaTeamD.png

The 4790 is a factory overclocked 4770K, no more, no less..

Thats not true Bert.

The 4790k is a refresh of the Haswell part and in addition to the different polymer heat transfer material, the CPU was fitted with additional capacitors to smooth power delivery to the die.

1%20New%20Packaging_575px.png