Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arrington

Question for real-life pilots (all ratings)

Guest ssurjap

I don't know whether this belongs in this forum or in the main MSFS forum, but here's my question:Out of curiosity, what percentage of your flights are VOR to VOR flights? In other words, instead of using Victor and/or Jet airways, do you find yourselves going VOR to VOR?Thanks.

For GA flights across the mountainous/desert areas of the western US, I usually prefer user-defined way-points set on my moving map GPS. It's more efficient than zig-zagging.L.Adamson

Guest ssurjap

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious as to how realistic FS does it. I notice that VOR to VOR is shorter than their flight plan if I chose High Altitude Airways.

Guest Arrington

You can always file for VOR to VOR routes in real life. You just have to plan to remain inside the service volume of the VORs you choose. The way the route is flown (vs. filed) depends on the clearance issued by ATC. I normally file for a published route, but others choose not to.ATC clearances usually reflect IFR "preferred" routing for the area you area flying in. Otherwise, its a matter of your place in the IFR system on that particular day. Your routing might be dictated by delays, other traffic, (revenue earning flights usually take priority) or weather. Outside of that, if ATC can help you reach your destination quicker, they usually do. :)