Sign in to follow this  
Tight Git

Assigned Landing Runway Confusion

(Using FSX, Dreamteam JFK, ASN, MCE, RC4, PMDG747)

I'm currently flying KBOS to KJFK and find great confusion over the landing runway.

Today, for example, with FO handling the radio:

(1) Listen to JFK ATC at 50 miles out, says landing runway 31L

(2) But RC4 window shows 31R !

(3) On being handed over to Approach, told to expect 22R !!

Is this just an anomaly that I'll have to live with, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

There is a problem in using ASN because in using DWC FSX SimConnect requires Global Weather mode which applies the weather at your aircraft location universally throughout the FS world. Your destination weather is constantly changing as you approach your destination and may not be what is announced when you are so far out.

By user request fsuipc4 has been modified to report ATIS based on the last forecast METAR at destination.

In addition, the constantly changing winds causes ai patterns to become unstable. RC first examines ai at about 40 nm out from destination and once more during approach changing your runway assignment if needed.

For FSX versions of AS it is recommended that AS Destination Weather Lock be applied so a consistent winds environment is maintained through your last descent stages and approach. ATIS from RC will be off but at least ai patterns should be consistent. Destination Weather Lock solved the problems for beta tester Bobbyjo.

Now RC places some constraints on runway use. Its priority is examining ai patterns if ai is present. If not runway suitability with localizer/ILS presence scoring high where winds and runway length contribute. In FS there is a very complex system of "runway scoring" which allows even some tail winds based on the type of ai aircraft.

Be sure in RC you have the correct aircraft class set for your aircraft. B777 is a heavy, correct?

As always, be sure your fsuipc and makerwys is up to date and rerun the scenery rebuild if necessary.

Many thanks for your detailed reply, Mr Ginsberg.

Unfortunately a lot of it is over my head but I do have Destination Weather Lock ticked in ASN (assuming that Prevent Downloads on Approach is the same thing).

And with FO handling the radio, I have plenty of time to change the landing runway in the FMC, should Approach not agree with the ATIS.

As I said, I can live with it!

Destination Weather Lock is different than Prevent Downloads On Approach.

See if this is in ASN:

"Force Destination Wx Zone – Forces the destination airport weather to all stations within 80nm of the destination.  Works only when a flight plan is loaded.  Useful to keep your entire approach conditions consistent to the departure airport area."

I don't use nor have this manual.

You want something similar.

Thanks, still looking into this but I've now got "Assigned Take-off Runway Confusion"!

The ATIS at Paris Charles de Gaulle (LFPG) said RW 26R in use, but a few seconds later Ground said I should taxi to 27L !

Any explanation, please, or is it just me...

For take off RC prefers the shortest distance I believe. Was this RC ATIS? If ai were landing on suitable multiple active runways, then RC at ground examination might have seen different activity.