Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Screenshot request...someone with ORBX and Mesh

I have been trying to decide if mesh is worth buying for the type of flying I do and I have decided I could justify it if my local mountainous terrain looks as good as I hope it does, because the default terrain doesn't look accurate at all. If anyone happens to have FTX global and vector like I do, but also has mesh too and can post a screenshot or two or three I would greatly appreciate it! It wouldn't be all for nothing as you would enjoy the scenery in the area.

The area of request is departing from KTRI Tri-cities regional airport in northeast Tennessee. It's about 30 miles from the tallest point on the east coast Mt. Mitchell. I'm most curious about the airport surrounding area and specifically the chain of Appalachians directly east about 14 miles where the VORTAC "HMV" sits on top of Holston Mountain. Some other smaller GA airports of interest close are KVJI and K0A9.

Thanks!

Hi,

I highly recommend getting a good mesh - for VFR flying, it makes a huge difference. Possibly greater than FTXG.

Here's a quick screenshot of the VOR station you requested. This was taken in P3D, but it should look pretty much the same in FSX. The mesh is FS Global Ultimate, other addons are FTXG/Vector/UTX.

kJgpJGc.jpg

(forgot to switch off my landing lights)

Cheers!

I dunno, I have an old FSGenesis package that I bought in roughly 2008 and I've done these comparisons before. Maybe the FSG mesh isn't any good but this is very typical of the comparisons I've done in the past. Mesh is set at 1m in both cases. Loaded a saved flight each time:

mesh_comparison.gif

Yeah, I don't think it helps much in NA and, possibly, in Europe.  Elsewhere, I'd think it might be more useful.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'd like to see a similar comparison from someone who has FS Global Ultimate, but yeah I think FSX ships with 38m mesh for the US anyway and to my knowledge that's hard to improve upon. I'm not a mesh guy though...

Wow thanks for the comparison, it looks like it didn't really change at all....Maybe a little more definition in the ribs going down the mountain but barely noticeable.

One thing to remember, with mesh comes airports on plateau's etc..

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

One thing to remember, with mesh comes airports on plateau's etc..

Yeah i've seen and read all about that. Another reason I'm not very interested after seeing the comparison...not worth it.

Yeah i've seen and read all about that. Another reason I'm not very interested after seeing the comparison...not worth it.

But again - it matters a lot where you fly.  The default US mesh is very good in FSX, so if you fly primarily in the US the differences will be minor.  If you fly in Canada as well, you'll see a much greater improvement.  And if you fly in, say, Africa or South America, you'll see substantial improvements.

Scott

As Jim alluded to, there were several types of FSGenesis (aka "FSG") terrain mesh products (with varying resolutions) released after FSX entered the marketplace in 2006.

Whereas past FSG NextMap-derived terrain mesh products (available when Justin Tyme hosted his own online store) once offered a maximum resolution of 10 Meters, today I could not find those higher resolution products during a cursory search on the web site of the "current" retailer of FSG products. :Whistle:

Would-be purchasers of the current FSG product offerings should, IMHO, read the fine print carefully so that they will understand what resolution they get with a particular package.

http://www.fsgenesis.com/

FYI: There are elevation source data sets available for some high resolution coverage areas in the USA which can be used to make new, even higher detail terrain mesh products for FSX ...such as this one:

Emerald Scenery Design - Tennessee E-Mesh

http://www.fspilotshop.com/emerald-scenery-design-tennessee-mesh-p-4771.html

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB