Sign in to follow this  

Is FS2006 going to be any better?

Guest Kingair315

Using the FS since 1985, have never seen a new version, which was not better.... Yes, Ive seen new problems, but overall the value of new features outweighed them.Those who have seen my messages for years, Know how addicted to the FS I've been.... Now, I have another addiction which takes as much time ! Between FS and this, it takes most every waking hour. Just Click to see what I've done lately, Bobhttp://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsouthwestQ5fartist

If the rumors about a whole new modern graphics engine being designed for FS10 are true (and I believe they are judging from the articles about that new DX9 shader guy they hired etc) then I think people are gonna be totally blown away by the new sim, especially those simmers who are not into other PC games like Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft etc. The visual difference and level of detail between something like FS8/9's engines and a fully DX9 shader engine are absolutely astounding. If it's true, we can probably expect 60FPS sustained with most if not all details maxed on a cutting edge card. Games are not supposed to run at 30FPS on a brand new card the way FS9 does, and I think MS is gonna fix that finally.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>>I am really enjoying FS2004 now with FSGenesis mesh, Flight>1>>Ultimate terrain, FScene textures, etc, etc. With all my>>add-ons, it looks great and seems very immersive for me when>I>>fly now. >>>>Don't really know how FS2006 is going to be any better? >>How many nearly identical statements we have seen here in the>last 3 months? I wish Microsoft would announce a 1 year delay>in release of FS2006 so most folks like that would return to>their caves ...>They wouldn't. I traced the first whines/wishlists/demands about FS2006 back to 17 August 2003, one day after FS2004 went gold (so even before FS2004 hit the streets).

Thank you, thank you. I'm not much good at speeches but let me tell you all I'm deeply moved by the honour.

I am sure the next FS generation will come out and will be better.BUT I am afraid that all the adds on out there will need upgrades or even total rewriting. Then $ 50 for FS + $$$$$$$ for Active Sky, FlightKeeper, FSGenesis, Radar Control, all the airplanes, sceneries etc... Plus all the work to reload all that stuf....Brrr.....Roger :-bang

Roger

See my specs in my profile

and what makes you think that?So far there has always been backwards compatibility (sometimes with partial loss of functionality) with addons for at least 1 release, more often 2 releases.That means addons created specifically for FS2004 should continue to work with maybe minor changes (IF the addon creator didn't use features not documented in the SDK of course), and there's a good chance many FS2002 addons will work as well.

Guest tkjake

Ok, here's yet another rant on FS2006. FS9 has been a great program. I can't really say enough about how adaptable it has proven to be. I now have what would be called a mid-range system and I can still configure the sim to run very smooth. Of course, if I crank up all the sliders, fly around O'hare with all my traffic turned on max, run ActiveSky, FSMoving Map, etc.., yeah, it turns into a slideshow. As for FS2006, my hope is that Microsoft will finally abandon backwards compatability with previous versions and give us a totally new sim. Yes, I realize that this will render most of our addons useless in the new sim, and that many of us have spent boatloads of cash on our addons (me included), but I think it's time to let the developers at MS take this baby up a couple of notches. If that means we lose our current stuff, so be it. Lets not tie their hands this time, and we may just be shocked at how good our little hobby can get. If they do go this route, well, just keep FS9 on your system untill you get FS2006 up to snuff. Heck, most of us did just that with the previous versions. Anyway, thats my $.02 .

IF Microsoft abandons backwards compatibility completely (they could if they wanted to) the backlash would be massive.In fact, it would likely be such that it would seriously harm sales (many peoeple buy games based on magazine reviews, and those would all mention the fact and how bad it is).It would also greatly increase development cost, and the risk of problems in the product.That would create an even greater backlash. You've seen the screaming rants from people missing a few bridges, an extremely minor thing. You've seen the troubles with FS2000 maybe. The potential for problems with the new version would be nothing like what people encountered with FS2000 (which effectively did introduce a new graphics engine).Your "I'll stick with FS9" makes me grin. That's what people said before FS2002 was released. Noone did.It was claimed by many before FS9 was released. Almost noone did.It's the same every time...

Backward compatibility - yes - but not forever.My personal opinion is that scenery is going to be the biggest issue for the next version.Aircraft - the visual model conversion to GMax and the FSDS 2.x modified to emulate GMax is basically completed.Panels / gauges - new panels with XML gauges will be fine - older ones will have issues. I worry about the expensive addons with complicated FMS systems. Only have one of those, not going to buy another because you can do everything with the FS9 GPS you can do with them - some functions a little hard, many a lot easier.Flight Dynamics - certainly some changes - but these are not terrible closely tied to the visual modelScenery - about 40% of FS2004 has moved to XML based scenery the next version will be near 100% - but an amazing number of scenery designers are still working on FS2000 and FS2002 concepts. Thinks like VORs and NDBs, elevations, ILS etc - very few people are using the quidelines in the SDK's.The days of all the files in one folder are gone.Microsoft has setup a very specific structure and we constantly see people who do not follow that structure and then complain because it doesn't work correctly.Scenery designers must learn and be conversant in approaches, AI aircraft ground behavior, NAVAID specs or they need to leave those elements alone. (Yes the user aircraft does use the AI ground network and both user and AI aircraft use the approach system)One very nice scenery was released a while back by a very good designer who is working hard to move to newer standards and concepts. He created the AI ground and parking network in SceneGenX. Did a good job - but got a ton of flack because people could not modify the parking network with AFCAD.Yes I'll buy the next version and fly it soon after it's released.But unfortunately, most of us have barely scratched the surface at learning what can be done with FS2004.I need to go, my user aircraft has been in the ATC directed holding pattern over KATL for about 20 min now and it's getting close to my turn for landing (a default GPS capability).

Guest jordanmoore

I really enjoy the current version as well, so I'm in the "no hurry" group I guess. I always have a wish-list just like everyone else though.The real power behind MSFS is the development team's commitment to opening it up for further development by add-on designers. With each release they have given us more options and more control. They have also made great strides in increasing the accessibility to non-programmers. I think as long as they stay committed to this ideal, the capabilities of each new version will only be limited by the imagination of talented and creative add-on developers (of all kinds).Some of the packages we have seen for FS2004, I honestly thought we wouldn't see for awhile, so I am constantly surprised by how far the game can be extended in any of its versions. I find myself saying "Now why didn't I think of that..." quite often these days!Jordan Moore

Guest Pabra

It allways got better. One day there will be complaints about fs being too real...wanna bet?

Guest TallGuyPete

Turns out it was a April first guys reading the romours on fs2004.comThey would do something like that :( lolI agree FS can only get better!Just a case of what we want, not what MS think we would like.Try talking with the fans MS!for example > How about a Emergency Landing Feature within ATCATC > Ever since they introduced it into FS2k2 I think when FS2k4 came out we all knew that it was a brilliant step!!!Well Done on that MS! :DTGP