Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Can You Fly Non RNAV SIDs and STARs completely with GPS (RNAV)?

There's a few pilot nav SIDs that use VORs to intercept radials.  Can you fly this with GPS instead of VORs?  Thank you.

If you can create a user waypoint in your planner, then yes, I think it would show on the GPS. I don'y know about the FSX planner but some planners have the facility to define waypoints based on VOR bearing DME or junction of two VOR bearings I believe.

For airliners that have FMC type gear, the digital data they subscribe to have defined local custom waypoints just for that purpose.

As far as RC is concerned, the waypoint must be in the plan.

FSBuild lists this syntax for defining the latitude and longitude -- I think we discussed this in a previous thread regarding west runway departures at LAX:

LAX070SLI330
Creates new lat/lon waypoint from intersection of LAX VOR radial 070 and SLI VOR radial 330. It will create a name for this location. Since there is a name and latitude-longitude exported in the FS plan format, I would think it would then show on the GPS and it would be acceptable to RC.

There are other formats for route syntax available in FSB.

I don't know if the FSX planner allows this format or has this functionality.

Plan-G has a few methods you can use to create a user waypoint that will be exported to your plan.Check out "QDM" in its manual.

If you can create a user waypoint in your planner, then yes, I think it would show on the GPS. I don'y know about the FSX planner but some planners have the facility to define waypoints based on VOR bearing DME or junction of two VOR bearings I believe.

For airliners that have FMC type gear, the digital data they subscribe to have defined local custom waypoints just for that purpose.

As far as RC is concerned, the waypoint must be in the plan.

FSBuild lists this syntax for defining the latitude and longitude -- I think we discussed this in a previous thread regarding west runway departures at LAX:

LAX070SLI330

Creates new lat/lon waypoint from intersection of LAX VOR radial 070 and SLI VOR radial 330. It will create a name for this location. Since there is a name and latitude-longitude exported in the FS plan format, I would think it would then show on the GPS and it would be acceptable to RC.

There are other formats for route syntax available in FSB.

I don't know if the FSX planner allows this format or has this functionality.

Plan-G has a few methods you can use to create a user waypoint that will be exported to your plan.Check out "QDM" in its manual.

What I was trying to do before was use skyvector to create custom points but sometimes could be difficult.  Is that option in Plan-G similar to what FS Build has?  I'll take a look at that option in the manual.  Also, on the Loop departure out of LAX, do you know if PG would be to create that waypoint for the turn to LAX VOR?

PG does not really follow the syntax that FSBuild does.

For LOOP 7 departing the west runway I placed guidelines on the map.

First on the PG home view of KLAX 10 mile scale I set a range ring distance of 10 nm and count of two. Right click on the center of LAX VOR and click Range Rings. Halfway between the 10 and 20 ring is LAX DME 15.

Right click on the SMO VOR and select radial. I set 160 degrees and 30. You now have the necessary guidelines to create user waypoints describing that turn to LAX.

For each runway for each point you want a user waypoint place the cursor where you want it and right click. In View zoom out to 10 nm scale. PG does not display the runways on the underlying street map but we have the localizers. Place a straight edge along the one of the west runway localizers and where it crosses the SMO-160 guideline right click. However I see already four terminal waypoints (in blue) HITOL, INUE, ELIXE, WAYRAX that probably exist as thee terminal local waypoints to mark the start of the DME LAX 15 turning points. If they were not there, right clicking in that area opens a dropdown then click create user waypoint. In the dialog that opens name it type LOCATION MARKER name LAXDME15RWY24R and ident similar then tag KLAX RW24R LAX D15. OK it to save. Now a green dot appears for the location marker. Hover the mouse of that and you'll see the ident and name. To add it to a plan do the insert waypoint above on the plan view and under class user waypoint type RWY24 i the search box and it will appear in the dropdown list for you to select and OK it to insert in the plan. Be sure to use unique names.

Looking at the SMO 160 radial I see already local terminal waypoints for the altititude restriction and for the lower parallels the slight change in heading to 235. Another option is to create location markers on the LAX DME125 arc to guide you coming out of the turn if you need to go to that trouble.

Essentially you've created the equivalent of RNAV waypoints to place in your plan. If you do so RC will assume you are doing your own nav (alt or no alt restriction departure). Your GPS I hope will show these points. If you have enough screen real-estate or a second monitor to lock PG to FS you'll have the moving map. Also, these waypoints added to the plan will show in the RC status window and you'll have to cross them to get credit to advance the RC displayed waypoint list so keep a slow speed for these turns until you cross LAX.

Note these waypoints so you can recal;l them for your next LAX use.

Thanks for the learning opportunity.

Thanks for the very detailed reply.  This helped a lot.  Thank you.  Also, PG seems like a very nice program, and am also very impressed.  This is really going to add realism and help for my flights.  Thanks again Ron.