Sign in to follow this  
SpeedBird4509

New Nvidia Driver 344.11 Released

Okay, carry on ... but I consider it very poor advice :rolleyes:

No wonder so many have stutters ect :rolleyes:

I have no stutter. Rob has no stutter. If you're going to claim something is bad advice, by all means.. Provide some sort of data to back it up. Otherwise you're just parroting advice that was relevant in 2003.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Otherwise you're just parroting advice that was relevant in 2003.

Oh dear me :lol:

I only tick the driver and PhysX as that is all I use, nothing more.

Why PhysX? I've never let that install as my PC is only used for FSX and P3D and I didn't think either of them used it. In fact I'm pretty certain FSX doesn't.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Pete

Quite Pete [i run games that use PhysX]... Advising people to install all these options... PhysX - 3D etc is simply daft, even if the outcome is minimal.

NEVER install anything you don't have too... So many packages come with spurious stuff, often running a service that starts with Windows, that its no wonder things can start to have an impact, even if it is quite small [every little helps... or doesn't].

I keep my PC as clean as possible, and reap the rewards... I see many a more powerful PC than mine, running far worse, in some part due to junk installing.

I also only install the graphic driver and untick everything else. I also always do a clean install. I like to keep my system clean. I see no reason at all to install things on my PC which I don't use.

EDIT

I keep my PC as clean as possible, and reap the rewards.

Yo, bro! ^_^

it is NOT a "unified" will work on everyone's system ... no such settings exist.

True.  However, as Prepar3d requires licensing that sets to a rather critical purpose of certifiable professional simulation,  I would hope that LM sets a guideline for reliable, if not guaranteed (which marketing a professional flight simulator should contain), deployment that follows the route (as testpilot!) you've set out for them in hardware and software configuration.  It seems you've figured out where V1, V2, and DNE are and the landing configuration on 'ol XP3D.  Most of us are very appreciative of your work, and your videos will no doubt make sales.

And what I mean by "guaranteed" is that support begins when your hardware/software meets the certain configuration.

PhysX - 3D etc is simply daft, even if the outcome is minimal.

I disagree.  There are some games I wouldn't do without it.  Metro, Crysis 3

Okay, carry on ... but I consider it very poor advice

No wonder so many have stutters ect

And that's why I make no recommendations (aka advice) ... I let people know what works for me on my system ... I back that up with videos and even downloads of my videos because of the issues around YouTube.  

I'm not responsible for other's stutters, sorry ... you are all big boys and girls, you can handle that responsibility -- I'll give you a hint, some sliders to the left will solve many of those stutter problems (including add-ons). ;)

What many want to believe is that it's all LM's fault and those that aren't having stutters are just fictional or presenting a false reality.  I provide information, what one does with that information is their domain, not mine.  If it helps great, if it doesn't then come back with more questions or try more changes.

I would hope that LM sets a guideline for reliable, if not guaranteed (which marketing a professional flight simulator should contain), deployment that follows the route (as testpilot!) you've set out for them in hardware and software configuration.

This is not LM's responsibility, the companies that provide the simulators (like RedBird, etc.) will need to meet FAA requirements to get certification ... it'll be their job to meet that requirement (purchasing appropriate hardware/software), not LMs.

I've done considerable experimentation with turning services On/Off and disabling background tasks, the only key tasks that I disable are AntiVirus/Malware, Windows Updates (temporary only), and Disk defragers (for any external mechanical drives I have my SSDs obviously aren't defraged).  Heck, I've even run P3D with  SQL Server, Visual Studio, and photoshop all running in the background without any noticeable difference in P3D performance. 

Sometimes ShadowPlay can induce a long frame here and there when I start a recording or stop a recording.

What usually comes out these discussions is "it's because of your high end hardware" ... what really should come out of these discussions is that I manage my P3D sliders and my expectations, something everyone can do.  Some choose not to and it becomes a difficult journey for them ... but as soon as one drops the "my system should be able to do XYZ..." the journey gets a lot easier.   :Peace:

Now, does this mean P3D is bug free, of course not ... that's why we have v2.0, v2.1, v2.2, v2.3, v2.4 with new features and bug fixes ... heck v2.4 has a bug fix to a .BGL that was causing a memory leak.  So it's good that people continue to report issues as they find them, but like I said before just stick to the issue and avoid extraneous drama as it serves no purpose.

Cheers, Rob.

I disagree. There are some games I wouldn't do without it. Metro, Crysis 3

I know!.. if you read what I wrote then you would see that I agree [i play these games too]. If you need PhysX [and the other stuff] then install it. If you only run P3D or FSX only install the driver.

Its through being a 'gamer' for well over a decade that has taught me to be highly selective about what you let drivers, applications, and games dump on your PC... and its far worse now than in 2003.

What many want to believe is that it's all LM's fault and those that aren't having stutters are just fictional or presenting a false reality.

Which is why I said what I did... there are other factors that upset the apple cart, and its not LM's fault.

I've done considerable experimentation with turning services On/Off and disabling background tasks, the only key tasks that I disable are AntiVirus/Malware, Windows Updates (temporary only), and Disk defragers (for any external mechanical drives I have my SSDs obviously aren't defraged).  Heck, I've even run P3D with  SQL Server, Visual Studio, and photoshop all running in the background without any noticeable difference in P3D performance. 

Sometimes ShadowPlay can induce a long frame here and there when I start a recording or stop a recording.

What usually comes out these discussions is "it's because of your high end hardware" ... what really should come out of these discussions is that I manage my P3D sliders and my expectations, something everyone can do.  Some choose not to and it becomes a difficult journey for them ... but as soon as one drops the "my system should be able to do XYZ..." the journey gets a lot easier.   :Peace:

Now, does this mean P3D is bug free, of course not ... that's why we have v2.0, v2.1, v2.2, v2.3, v2.4 with new features and bug fixes ... heck v2.4 has a bug fix to a .BGL that was causing a memory leak.  So it's good that people continue to report issues as they find them, but like I said before just stick to the issue and avoid extraneous drama as it serves no purpose.

Cheers, Rob.

This about sums it up and hence my "last relevant in 2003" comment.  While an exaggeration yes, I was pertaining to the old school way of thinking where even running notepad.exe could cause performance issues in games. We aren't in the 1GB of RAM days anymore scretching our PC's out to hit 1.5Ghz. I've had P3D open on one monitor on auto pilot and Photoshopping on the other monitor without a hiccup.  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

This is not LM's responsibility

It is LM's responsibility, just as it is any software company's responsibility, to spell it out CLEARLY what the requirements are to run the software in the environment, the business environment, the business case, in this case the FAA certified simulator environment.  This is just the same as I said before, you can leave open as much modifying/hacking around paths as you want, as long as you make it CLEAR, via Documentation or Interface, that once you leave these prescribed settings you're on your own.  You're beyond help.  In fact it's better to do things that way than to let the expectations and reality diverge in a contest of what users believe software should be able to to do vs what it is actually designed to do.  You used to be able to keep your clients in line and they'd ask no questions and be respectful back when they taught programming languages at only a handful of schools scattered about.  But in today's age when gifted children are learning OOP concepts in elementary schools and open sores is viable way of life even for a business, you have to stay respectfully on the map of the real development world, expect AWOLers, mark your territory CLEARLY, then show them their stupid sign, the sign they passed on the way out of bounds, when they come back for "support".  This cannot be done without requirements.  

It is LM's responsibility, just as it is any software company's responsibility, to spell it out CLEARLY what the requirements are to run the software in the environment, the business environment, the business case, in this case the FAA certified simulator environment.  This is just the same as I said before, you can leave open as much modifying/hacking around paths as you want, as long as you make it CLEAR, via Documentation or Interface, that once you leave these prescribed settings you're on your own.  You're beyond help.  In fact it's better to do things that way than to let the expectations and reality diverge in a contest of what users believe software should be able to to do vs what it is actually designed to do.  You used to be able to keep your clients in line and they'd ask no questions and be respectful back when they taught programming languages at only a handful of schools scattered about.  But in today's age when gifted children are learning OOP concepts in elementary schools and open sores is viable way of life even for a business, you have to stay respectfully on the map of the real development world, expect AWOLers, mark your territory CLEARLY, then show them their stupid sign, the sign they passed on the way out of bounds, when they come back for "support".  This cannot be done without requirements.  

Not sure what you're really going on about to be honest.. You seem to be fishing for an argument where one doesn't exist. 

And that's why I make no recommendations (aka advice) ... I let people know what works for me on my system ... I back that up with videos and even downloads of my videos because of the issues around YouTube.

I'm not responsible for other's stutters, sorry ... you are all big boys and girls, you can handle that responsibility -- I'll give you a hint, some sliders to the left will solve many of those stutter problems (including add-ons). ;)

What many want to believe is that it's all LM's fault and those that aren't having stutters are just fictional or presenting a false reality. I provide information, what one does with that information is their domain, not mine. If it helps great, if it doesn't then come back with more questions or try more changes.

Well you can't blame a guy for trying!!! :P:lol:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Anyone notice the Adaptive - 1/2 refresh rate vsync setting in the control panel of the new drivers?!

Sorry if this had been mentioned before but I'm coming late to the party...

Not sure what you're really going on about to be honest..

I was wondering that myself, whilst walking the dogs.   I'm not getting any compensation for it and nobody else is getting any compensation for reading it.