Lower power usage/Better performance?  I'm in.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Anandtech also has a similar review. The conclusion is that with mobile phone chips taking all the 20 nm manufacturing capacity, this was the best that nVidia could with the 28 nm process. The results on the GTX 980 are disappointing and the price is not "around $450-500" as was rumored. I'll wait until the 20 nm Maxwells are out next year.

I was about to post some questions on the 980, as I just saw it on OC3D.

Everyone was talking about the 8series, but all of a sudden it is the 9series instead?

So 4gb as opposed to the "possible" 780ti with 6gb's?

Looks like a good upgrade from my 680, or should I wait for a 980ti if it is planned?

Looking at getting the ROG SWIFT PG278Q

http://www.asus.com/ae-en/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

Thanks for any insight.

Waleed N

Maybe what the rumors really meant were that when people see that the GTX 980 isn't all that great, the price will drop to $450. The lesson to take away from this is that the desktop PC market is still in decline.

Probably. According to the reviews, the GTX 980 and 970 are targetted at people who presently have GTX 500 and GTX 600 series cards. The GTX 760 is just a little slower the what I have, a GTX 680. I would consider both new Maxwell cards a step up for either of us.

On the other hand, neither is what I would call a flagship video card, so if you are looking for the ultimate in performance in either XP10 or P3d 2.3, you probably should wait and see what nVidia has planned for 2015.

Well I was saving up for a Titan Black Edition which is $1000 but it looks like this new 980 stomps it in every test and it still has a nice 4 gig memory pool while the Titan has 6... I wonder what I should get now?  T_T   So confused on these...

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Probably. According to the reviews, the GTX 980 and 970 are targetted at people who presently have GTX 500 and GTX 600 series cards. The GTX 760 is just a little slower the what I have, a GTX 680. I would consider both new Maxwell cards a step up for either of us.

On the other hand, neither is what I would call a flagship video card, so if you are looking for the ultimate in performance in either XP10 or P3d 2.3, you probably should wait and see what nVidia has planned for 2015.

Thanks, we'll see the results of their performance soon.

970 looks pretty good to buy, but all wait as it like making chocolate chip cookies the first batch normally bug here and there.  Still, $330 for 970 that cheaper than the 770 when it came out. The 970 GPU is trickle down technology 101% its 780 with better power efficiency. The titan who needs it when a 980 save lots of $$$ in energy costs and psu required to feed it. 

Anybody already owns a 970? Would be nice to see a few comparison benchmarks in P3D!

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

Wow the 970 looks really good for the price.  Almost the same performance as the 780.  I was waiting for the prices on the 780 to drop but now I am thinking the move to the 970 might be just as good for FSX (or P3D).   Looking forward to some reviews.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000