970 is basically 780 performance at lower cost and less power. No brainer really.

980 beats the 780 Ti by 10% or so. If you have the money, go for it.

Bang for buck, its hard to look past the 970 really......

If you use multiple monitors or a 4k screen you might want to wait for the 8GB versions of these cards, due out soon.  Also, AMD's response in the form of the 390x should be out shortly as well (announcement perhaps later this week).  If nothing else, it should help drive down the cost of the 980 (although the 970 is priced almost perfectly).  I'm in a bit of a holding pattern myself, would like to see 3x 980 8GBs under water in my system but would also like to see a price drop before I go down that road.  Otherwise I'll just wait for the big Maxwell chips to come out and go with 2 of those.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941.html

Some very interesting technology in the 980 / 970 geared toward SSAA on older games.  This may be or significant assistance to FSX (and maybe P3D).  The reviewers at Tom's did not have a chance to test it out so hopefully someone here that gets one of these cards soon can do so.  I was also wondering why the 970 performs almost the same as the 780 but when you look at the detailed specs is seems like a much lesser card....turns out the new chip works much faster & more efficiently to give that performance.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

just got my gtx 980 and installed it. so far its a little disappointing. this could be a driver issue from my previous installation. I am uninstalling / reinstalling latest drivers. hopefully this will help!

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

just got my gtx 980 and installed it. so far its a little disappointing. this could be a driver issue from my previous installation. I am uninstalling / reinstalling latest drivers. hopefully this will help!

Can you elaborate on the issues you are seeing and what video card you are coming from?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

It would be helpful to know which card you are moving up from.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

It would be helpful to know which card you are moving up from.

gtx 770 2gb. single monitor 24 inch 1920X1200.  reinstalled latest drivers, deleted shader files too. I am not seeing much improvement. Pretty disappointed to be honest, was expecting much more.... btw I have a 4770k @4.6ghz as well.

I think that is probably because the 770 is already a pretty good card and given that FSX is mostly processor limited you only get so much out of the new card.  I would think you can increase your visuals by running higher cloud sizes, etc.,  but would not get too much in the way of framerates.

Mark W   CYYZ      

I was looking hard at a couple of 970's or 980's with the hopes that they'll actually provide a much needed punch in the arm for my P3Dv2.3.   I get good frames with the 770 2gig I have but it is impossible to fly with good frames on a triple monitors.  I have to fly on one at the moment.   As P3D is much more GPU focused I am hoping to see far better results that our friend is reporting in FSX.  *crosses fingers*

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I was looking hard at a couple of 970's or 980's with the hopes that they'll actually provide a much needed punch in the arm for my P3Dv2.3.   I get good frames with the 770 2gig I have but it is impossible to fly with good frames on a triple monitors.  I have to fly on one at the moment.   As P3D is much more GPU focused I am hoping to see far better results that our friend is reporting in FSX.  *crosses fingers*

Im using p3dv2.3! 

I am interested in some results too. I fly FSX with 3- 24" monitors with a single 770 2gig card. I think at the least going to a 4 gig card would help.

MAX- you say 8 gig cards are coming soon. Are there any 8 gig 970's coming or just wishful thinking?

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Just got mines , but i haven't had the time to test it. To tired from work . This weekend  might have some time to test it. But what should i do to test this card? What scenery should i test it on? Will Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended would be good enough to test this card? You guys let me know what setting should i change to test the performance of this card.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

For me the 970/980 are both 780/780ti replacements.

They offer very similar performance, but with one advantage and that's lower TDP.

I think any 780/780ti users should stick with their current cards for now.

The only major advantage will come when there is more RAM on the 9xx cards - which AFAIK is coming in the next couple of months.

P3D will like the extra RAM.  Even then it may be worth waiting for the die shrink next year.

I am probably going to return the card. It's a big disappointment coming from a 770.

The 980 plays very well with max autogen , so far i have tested this with aerosoft Heathrow Extended an UT2 Traffic to 80. An i get no stutter very smooth for me . Performance increase not very noticeable until i use it with Steve Dx10 FIxer. My overclock CPU likes this card very well. It's a keeper for me. Comparing this card with the 780 is really not that much of a difference in performance , the only thing i experience is better smooth performance. With DX10 i saw 6 FPS boost with max out all slider. I bought this card because it seems to keep temperatures very low. In the past i notice that sweetfx crash or mysteriously disappear when i had high GPU temperatures. So i indeed needed a card with a very high stock base clock an low temperatures at the same time.  I know i said i would be testing this card this weekend, but last night i couldn't stop thinking about what someone said here , about this card being any good with old games.  I will have a video up very soon with the review of this card. In my opinion i saw very good smoothness when using Steve Dx10 Fixer. Going into clouds feels much more real now for me. I had little micro stutter with the 780 not much an not very noticeable either. I have no stutter with the 980 not even a glitch. My main concern for this card an what i was expecting was smooth performance when going into clouds,also on the ground with heavy weather an heavy UT2 traffic.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)