Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

EVGA GTX 980 SC SuperClocked 4GB (Maxwell)

Any early adopters able to give an idea how these cards perform in P3D2 please? :) K

Comparable stats for 980 and 780Ti here: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti

It appears texture fillrate is down but pixel fillrate is massively up. Anyone explain which is more necessary for P3D2?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/19

One conclusion here calls it for the 980? http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/31.html

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

i would like to see some results considering the 980 is 256 bit and the 780 is 384 bit, looks to me like the 780 might still be faster

Generally GTX980 is the fastest single chip GPU available at the moment. I'd say if you are running with 600-series or older GPUs, GTX980 or 970 are the way to go and they offer good performance improvement over earlier models. In fact, these new Maxwells are as amazing as 680 was back in the day: thermally efficent but yet fast. Performance improvement over 780Ti is very marginal according to benchmarks. I'm with "regular" 780 and I will wait for the "full" size Maxwell GPU to come out.

Memory bus width isn't something that is determinative to GPU speed. In fact, new 980 has also 880 cuda cores less than 780Ti and it still beats it. It is the overall architecture that matters and with new Maxwells it has improved significantly. Like the [H]ard|OCP's review article stated, as a result of these changes, each Maxwell CUDA core is able to deliver roughly 1.4x more performance per core compared to a Kepler CUDA core, and 2x the performance per watt. Quite amazing results in my opinion and when we get out the next full size Maxwell, that will be one beast of a GPU.

From what I understand the improvement in 980 is mostly power usage. So, pretty much same performance, using less wattage. Cool, but not enough to replace my watercooled SLI.

From what I understand the improvement in 980 is mostly power usage. So, pretty much same performance, using less wattage. Cool, but not enough to replace my watercooled SLI.

Not really.  A single 980 is averaging 12000 in Firestrike benchmarks.. My SLI 680s are averaging 11000-12000.. Usually somewhere in the middle. 

So that single card is just edging out SLI 680s. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The GTX 980 has 64 ROPs which means the performance difference will be even higher compared to the GTX 780 Ti if you're running 1440p or higher.

Yeah.. The card is a beast.. I'll be picking one up eventually. The 970 looks like the real winner though as far as bang for the buck goes.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I just purchased a 970. Hasn't arrived yet. Also of note is Nvidia claims big tessellation performance boosts with the 970 and 980, and the new supersampling looks promising if Nvidia ever implements profiles for P3D

Ah, the infinite joys of hardware upgrades.  It's been only a couple weeks since I upgraded to the 700 series, only to find that if I had waited just a little bit longer I could've gotten more performance at less cost.  I hate Flight Simulation.

The GTX 980 has 64 ROPs which means the performance difference will be even higher compared to the GTX 780 Ti if you're running 1440p or higher.

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm a 8100x1440 bezel corrected Surround user. Now I'm trying to weigh in on the pro's and con's of either the 780Ti or 980 as the best upgrade for someone using three 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Ah, the infinite joys of hardware upgrades.  It's been only a couple weeks since I upgraded to the 700 series, only to find that if I had waited just a little bit longer I could've gotten more performance at less cost.  I hate Flight Simulation.

The news that the 900 series would provide at least the same performance at a lower cost and with much better power efficiency were known for quite some months. Next time you should look up upcoming hardware news more carefully.

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm a 8100x1440 bezel corrected Surround user. Now I'm trying to weigh in on the pro's and con's of either the 780Ti or 980 as the best upgrade for someone using three 27" 2560x1440 monitors.

It's an easy choice, the GTX 980. There isn't any case where the GTX 780 Ti beats it.

It's an easy choice, the GTX 980. There isn't any case where the GTX 780 Ti beats it.

Great to hear as I made my mind up and just placed an order for the EVGA 1241 MHz Base/1342 MHz Boost clock version. I'm just hoping that I'll be able to run the 8100x1440 Surround resolution via just the DisplayPorts. I was not able to do that with my current GTX 680 because it only supports a max resolution of 2560x1600 via DL-DVI only so I had to run the one DisplayPort on the back of the GPU through a DP-DVI active converter to get it to work.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I just purchased a 970.

Nice!... it looks like a great card in terms of bang-for-buck.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with it... I may look to one myself as an interim upgrade, before going for a whole new set-up.

How much better is the 980 over the 970 because like you are all saying, the price of the 970 is wonderful. I have a 580 right now and need to replace quite soon.

Looks like the cards are sold out now.  I guess I'll wait a week or so for inventory and decide between the 970 and 980.  My 570 needs to be replaced.