Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Trade up GTX770 for GTX780? i7 4790k system

Currently I have a GTX770 2gb on my i7 4790k system. I am seeing a good picture but I feel it should be better for what I spent building this system. With REX4, ORBX, ASN and moderate settings I am getting good results but I am seeing a lot of the dreaded black spikes when panning outside etc. and I have read that it is from GPU overload.

I am running a 40" led tv, and occasionally a Dell 19" lcd monitor for gauges. 

I am wondering would I benefit from upgrading to a GTX780 3gb? I could easily sell my 2 month old 770 on ebay for a good return, and spending a little extra money to upgrade to something better isn't an issue if it would be worth it? My main complaint is scenery load times specifically, ORBX autogen and 3d lights at night. It bugs me seeing 3 miles of road lights and 10 miles of house lights...Will this improve with a faster GPU?

I can't speak about the move from a 770 to 780, as I have a 770 4 GB.  As for the spikes though, are you using the buffer pools tweak and if so, what is you setting?  If you're passing too much off to the GPU with a poolsize=0, spikes are one of the warning signs.

Eric Szczesniak

Nvidia Halts GTX 780 Ti, GTX 780, GTX 770 and lowers GTX 760 Pricing

by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 09/19/2014 10:04 AM | Source | 9 comment(s) ]

With the release of the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 injected in the same space as the GTX 780 Ti, GTX 780, GTX 770 you might have noticed price drops for a while now on these products, Nvidia wanted to clear stock as the aforementioned Series 700 cards are now EOL and phased out. The new GeForce GTX 970 and 980 will completely replace the lineup.

Effective with todays launch, the lineup looks like this:

GTX 980: $549 / 452 EUR (ex VAT)

GTX 970: $329  / 270 EUR (ex VAT)

GTX 760: moves to $219

But do note that this an MSRP, final E-tail and Retail prices at launch and after launch varies and can be lower, depending on the market conditions etc. There are no other changes to any other products.So the GeForce GTX 780 Ti, 780 and 770 have been discontinued with this 970 and 980 launch.

Link: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-halts-gtx-780-tigtx-780gtx-770-and-lowers-gtx-760-pricing.html

Plus review of the GTX 970/980 cards and new 344.11 drivers.