Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Frustrated with 'the situation'

Heck, if my idea of Raiding CPUs could happen, perhaps we would have enough CPU power to help solve more disease, tissue or human physical issues.

You're looking at it a little backwards. The problem isn't lack of processing power as there is plenty of that between modern CPUs and GPUs, but a major limitation in the way FSX itself was written. Short of opening up the source code and making major changes to the sim, FSX is stuck the way it is. This leads to the better solution being a new sim, or at least one that is being developed. P3D, X-Plane, aerofly FS and others, like Outerra and/or DoveTail's future development, are where the future lies as they can be developed to use modern computers. Between the laws of physics and economics, 10 GHz processors aren't going to happen any time soon.

There is a big difference between how hard drives and data work vs. single threaded applications and CPUs. Think of it like one woman having a baby in nine months, vs. nine woman having one baby in one month. One is possible, and the other isn't.

And when it comes to medical or scientific research, the software used will have been re-written for heavy multi-threading use as this is how modern super computers are so powerful (the top supercomputer has over 3 million cores...). Even workstations can have a 12 core CPU with additional processing power through Nvidia Tesla cards. They don't really need faster clock speeds like FSX does.

Of course this doesn't make it any less frustrating in the mean time.

The fact that M$ created a sim that covers the whole world, is open to 3rd part development, and can still have a following after all these years is amazing. People knock FSX as crap, my thoughts are quite the opposite.

And before somebody mentions P3D, remember that is FSX that has been pimped. Frustrated with my sim, hell no.

+++1 Julian.

Well, it was bollocks aye Rick LOL

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The FS9ers would argue that FSX is FS9 that's been pimped. I don't think there are any FS8ers left to argue about anything at all.

Me, I'm just dang sick and tired of waiting for an accurate Wright Flyer with deep systems modeling. That and I wish I could buy beer and smokes online and have them show up in an email 5 minutes later. Other than that I'm pretty happy with my PCs, sims, etc.

Well said. I was thinking the same.

I don't recall you ever coming across that rude Steve. It's quite out of character. The point made by Eric was perfectly reasonable when you reflect on the demanding, sense of entitlement, and lack of perspective evident in the original post.

I don't think it warranted a Developer on the scene, who normally comes across as measured and helpful to be making sarcastic comments about someone's ears and hearing.

Don't like my jokes - cool!

I don't think it warranted a Developer on the scene, who normally comes across as measured and helpful to be making sarcastic comments about someone's ears and hearing.

I'm sticking up for VB who knows a thing or two about healthcare sentiment. The problem for me is for Eric and Benneton being rude to the OP, because they found something to moan about.

Dude wants His 7+ year old sim to run half as good as what modern games run like....whats wrong about that?

We are on a flightsim site, not a world topic or life contemplation site....jeezzz

This sounds more like a reasonable view. My ears are good!

I don't think it warranted a Developer on the scene

That's quite rude too. Reference to my developer status should only be made if I'm posting with respect to my developments in FS. Here I'm only posting as a member of a flight sim community.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hear hear ;)

The problem is that we are flying a flight simulator from the stone age that is no capable of utilizing the power of modern computers. End of discussion.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

The OP posters fallacy is based on an obvious fallacy.

FSX is an 8 years game that had no development for last 5 years. In addition, third-party developers and added more and complex add-ons over the years.

Why should the OP even expect it to run at today's visuals - it just isn't possible.

The only way to deal with this is to get an i7 processor with a decent overclock allowance.

Then ensure you fit a decent cooler or liquid cooling.

Overclock to 4.5 plus and FSX will run great.

Clearly you need a decent graphics card and a hard drive with a decent speed (in my case, I fitted an SSD but that only improves loading times, of course).

Next step is to apply the recommended tweaks and then it's up to you whether you want to have a go at DX10 (I couldn't ever get this to run properly though).

And of course don't ever install fsx to the default location.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Yo OP, your 2014-PC and FSX SP2 license has just been been revoked. A replacement system (2006ish - E6600, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 8800GTS, conventional HDD) with Windows XP and FSX RTM installed is on the way and should arrive shortly.

You are to hand in a ten page essay about why a 2014 model PC, both service packs for FSX and Windows 7 are nothing short of a blessing and the best thing that could happen to the simulator after six months. A post-scriptum about the merits of P3D in relation to the original FSX is optional.

Grading will be done by the people firmly rooted in the realistic possibilities and limitations of hardware and software. A satisfactory grade will reestablish your license to use current hardware, but you're still subject to a two year probation.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I wish I could buy beer and smokes online and have them show up in an email 5 minutes later. 

Is anyone working on this?   

I can see the op's complaint. Yes I know, there are much bigger problems in life but this hobby can at times make you a bit crazy. I have been at this hobby for a lot of years and I am dumbfounded at how many of our planes are released. In the GA world other than the Flight 1 B200, I can not think of any other release in the last few years that has nearly perfect allowing for the shot comings of  FSX. But, It will not work in P3D....raw nerve!

Next, the Carenado 337 is a great plane but then there is the low quality Auto Pilot...raw nerve there too.

Real Air....nothing for P3D yet.....Raw nerve....really raw nerve!!! LOL

Many of these things are personal preference and I know that there are many who enjoy models that are just like there were in say 1960. There are also many of us that would like to use more of the modern stuff. It can be steam gauge but with up to date instruments or at least a few choices for a model. I look at releases with the mindset...OK if I buy this for real life how would I like it set up. I understand that from the developers point of view, we can not choose between G1000 and steam but it should be possible to swap AP's and some instruments.

Now before you all beat me up...I am writting this as a 67 year old guy. Each birthday makes me want some of the new and better things for the hobby a little faster. Why...Well because I would like to be able to still see the screen when some developer decides to make the perfect add on!!! LOL

So this stuff is not the end of the world but it does tend to get on your last nerve from time to time.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Maybe I've been around too long, but I'm continually stunned at what we DO have.

I completely agree! I still remember my first flight simulator on my Commodore 64, and how excited I was to see the Empire State Building, and imagining the silhouette of the mountains in the Los Angeles area as being the ones I lived near. We have indeed come a long, long way, as shown in this YouTube video link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff07H0xRRKM

I'm just happy that the Sim still runs smoothly on my rig! Yes, and I'm still using FS9. 

Just for the sake of humoring the previous posters, have a peek at "my Specs".

Based on previous Comments, I have to say that I'm deathly afraid of upgrading to FSX, let alone upgrading to a new rig. The horror stories, along with needing what seems to be an Advanced Degree in Computer Science, makes the prospect more and more daunting every day.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Boy, Stevan, you've certainly evoked memories there. It was like a walk-back in history. I certainly remember those days.

Yes, we have indeed come a long way on the FS journey.

Is anyone working on this?   

Let me know, please, when you get to know of this service. Will certainly beat the trudge to the nearest store!