Sign in to follow this  

NavDataPro or Navigraph? And charts?

I was wondering which AIRAC data everyone is using nowadays, simply because I have to get one of them.

Another related question: I was thinking about buying AivlaSoft EFB mainly for the (generated) charts (SID, STAR, approach), mainly so I would have a chart available in case the AIRAC data wasn't correct. However, the EFB generates its charts from the AIRAC data so if the AIRAC has an error in a certain STAR, the generated chart will also show that error... in which case I would have no use for it! I was wondering where everyone here is getting their charts from. I already heard about and looked at Navigraph charts but the yearly subscription price is holding me back. (EFB costs more but is one price for 'eternity'.) I also don't know how official those charts are. Searching on the internet is a cumbersome (at least it was for me in the past).

Any idea's on what's best?

To get charts, I use whatever I can find on-line, like skyvector.com, VATSIM sites or government sites.

Whatever's been said on this site about AIRAC data still applies now.

For what its worth I use NavDataPro for Airac supplemented by Navigraph for Airsimmer and Topcat and have used Navigraph's very convenient Charts 4 program for many years (Individual charts purchased rather than the subscription service.)

I use EFB on a separate laptop to my main tower computer .Its an excellent program and the need for charts pretty much goes away.I fly medium and heavies on Prepar3d v2.3. online with IVAO.For up to date sids and stars I use Navigraph.One cycle only costs about 5 dollars and that will bring any add ons you have up to date.You will probably need to update every 6 months or so.By the way I also use Flight sim commander.That is run via WIDEFS on a very old XP laptop.

The best thing I like about EFB is the ground layout at airports.No problems at either end of flying being vectored via taxiways to or from the runway.

I have been using Navigraph for my navdata and very pleased. With the annual subscription and their cloud service you have access to worldwide charts which I think is more cost effective than individually purchasing the charts.

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

The best thing I like about EFB is the ground layout at airports.

I've been fooling around with the demo a bit and indeed the ground layouts are nice. I have to say the charts aren't as interesting as I thought they would be. First of all I found out I have to add the SID and STAR and approach manually everytime in EFB (I was hoping PFPX would save them in the .pln file) and secondly the charts are nice but not as complete or precise, so it seems, as the real ones. I downloaded a few real charts from Eurocontrol and I have to say it's quite easy to find what I need on that site, so I am in doubt if I should get EFB at all. It's a very (very!) expensive addon and if I only end up using it for the ground layout, that would be a waste of money... After all the positive news I read about it I was a but underwhelmed.

The differences between Navigraph or NavDataPro seem to be not worth mentioning: I was thinking about NavDataPro because PFPX is being sold by Aerosoft and the Airbus I plan to use is also from them, but in the end it doesn't make much difference...

I bought a years subscription to Navigraph charts "Desktop" and use them in conjunction with the current airac cycle like Piper9t3. Keeping PFPX updated with Navigraph data keeps all the data in sync for my flying activities online. I'm about to renew my subscription but it all depends on your style of flying. If I only flew in my own country I wouldn't bother with a charts subscription and would simply look them up online.

RE Thomason Jr.

I use Navigraph for the AIRAC (annual subscription) because it has an automated updater that will update ALL your products with a few mouse clicks, very handy and easy to use.

For the charts I have fallen in love with Garmin Pilot (annual subscription), they have 2 flavors, 1 for iPhone/iPad and one for Android.

Garmin Pilot has a free trial period where you can see all of its features and try them out, the only 'but' is that the "safe taxi" feature requires a purchase before you can actually run it.

Safe taxi is a RW alternative to the EFB product.  Garmin recently upgraded it's Garmin Pilot to version 4.1, which is quite an up-step from the prior version 3.xx IMHO.

I use a Samsung galaxy Note 10.1 in combination with a free app called X-plane2GPS to send data from XPlane 10 to the Note (and used by Garmin Pilot).

It's just stunning.  You can create and save flight plans, obtain metar, obtain all the RW radio frequencies for your airport, hi and low IFR and VFR charts (again with moving map), and on and on.

I have only good comments to share about Garmin Pilot.  If you have neither the iPad or the Android, I can say the Ipad version has a 'markup' feature where you can draw taxi instructions directly on your airport diagram, which is something the Android version cannot do- but that aside, it's a keeper, I'm in my second full year subscription on Garmin Pilot. 

BTW, Garmin pilot also has all the procedure charts for your airports (departure and arrival), so you can fly it precisely like the pros.  Gives the Waypoint and radial fixes (example Peble4 out of KSAN).  Does not use updates from Navigraph, the Garmin product has automatic updates directly from Garmin.

DOWNSIDE:  USA only.  If you frequently fly elsewhere, then Garmin Pilot is not likely your best solution.

Works great for VFR or IFR.  Has real time moving weather (satellite and infrared), and lightning awareness and icing warnings.

Mark me 100% satisfied.  Newest version can be installed on MOST -SD- cards (exception, KitKat 4.4.2 AT&T phones have the SD storage card blocked unless the phone has been ROOTED, and even ROOTING has been severely blocked by AT&T.

Thus far, this is a NON-ISSUE on my ANDROID (Samsung Note 10.1).  Using on a cell phone is pretty difficult because of screen size.  Really a tablet app, but CAN run on Android phones (like the Note 2 from AT&T - see comment about no-SD-card-storage.

If you install every possible chart and map, this app weighs in about 8+ gb, that is if you want the entire USA on your device.  You can select your own areas, and thus cut down the storage requirements.

30 day free trial does more than any amount of comment I could write.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Hi Jeroen, I tend to use Navigraph, mainly because of their excellent Cloud Charts subscription service. Having all those worldwide charts in one handy place that is constantly updated is great, and they will display in any browser, be it tablet or or PC, in multiple tabs if so desired. Naturally they also show you the airport transition altitude and runway minimums which is essential info for your new baby 'bus. :)

they have 2 flavors, 1 for iPhone/iPad and one for Android.

Howdy  Robert,

I infer that you have an iPad, and upon occasion, you access Avsim forums with it. For the last six months, (ever since an Avsim infraction,)i see the search bar come up... then disappear on my ipad air.  Admin swears that there are no sanctions upon my account.  That is kinda born out by the fact that i searched for you on my P3d /video/editing main machine, kinda configured like your last reported PC.  I  am remotely accessing that PC now as i type this using Splashtop on my Ipad Air. For those not familiar, Spashtop, remote PC access,  is so fast on an internal network, you can watch movies and run great framerate FSX or P3D sessions from it...ON YER IPAD!!!

...so, to the question; Have you had any problems accessing or searching Avsim on your ipad?

Though off topic, as was the above,  could you, perhaps more appropriately in another topic area,  speak to why you sold your rudder pedals, and TM HOTAS WARTHOG set, and seemingly swiched, to X-Plane? And, while we are aware of your penchant for Boeing, do you ever fly the any of the Airbus fleet?

We, who have followed you for your well-spoken and sage comments would enjoy your hearing your answers and amplifications.

regards,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hi Charles,

How very kind of you to say you enjoy my odd remarks here and there.  I actually USED to have an iPad but now it's in my sister's hands, she loves it.  My remark about the '2 flavors' (iPad/Android) was a statement regarding Garmin Pilot.  Garmin Pilot is Wireless on the Android (in XPlane) but requires a somewhat pricey connecting cable if you want to run on iPad.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Tablet, which I use to run Garmin Pilot.  As an electronic flight bag application, I believe USA pilots will love the many features of Garmin Pilot.  I really like it.

I sold my Hotas and the Saitek Rudders after switching to a full-size column yoke and matching Cirrus Jet Rudders from Precision Flight Controls of Sacramento, CA.  Like the Warthog, the PFC column yoke uses magnetic Hall Sensors instead of Potentiometers (POTS) which make for longer wear and more precise response.  That is an optional item when you buy their yoke.

Very happy with  both pieces.  The yoke alone makes it a lot more 'real', though the airbus crowd would likely stick with the Hotas, as the Airbus has no yoke, only a joystick.

Why XPlane?  Primarily just a couple of reasons, and no desire to start the typical flame war between the rabid FSX crowd, and the equally-enthusiastic XPlane pilots!

1.  X-Plane is 64-bits, which means it can address -and use- ALL of your system memory.  For example, I have 32GB of system ram.  XPlane theoretically CAN use all of it.  At some point it will use a very significant amount, when the long-awaited view-to-the-horizon at high altitude is finally fixed.  Their programmers have specifically stated a lot of RAM will be used for that fix to eliminate the current 'fuzzy blur' at the horizon at cruise altitude for Jets.

2.  X-Plane (IMHO) is much more multi-monitor friendly (see my YouTube videos).  That said, it behooves the serious sim pilot to consider a PC for each monitor.  Asking ONE PC to run your SIM plus the add-on eye candy, then drive 3 or more displays?  I don't care how powerful your video card is - or how fast the CPU is - it's going to hit your frames REALLY HARD.  This is well-known to the FSX crowd.  And it's equally true in XPlane.

X-Plane is designed to NETWORK and it easily configures for 3, 4 or 5 view screens.  Toss out your TrackIR and see it all in real time with no motion-sickness from rapid head movements in TrackIR.

X Plane does have its weaknesses... well documented, and I won't list them again. 10.3 version is now released (beta is over). We anxiously await 10.4 beta!

Cheers!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Thank you sir  !  was i right about my Boeing comment?

...has  anyone else had Avsim "disappearing search" problems on their iPad?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I have never attempted to fly an Airbus.  I have friends that do.  Seems like the fly-by-wire guys love Airbus (and they SHOULD), whilst the old-school group seems stuck in the 1957-era 737 and it's progeny.  The improved avionics in the NG are wonderful, but the air-start engines and the hydraulic controls leave something to be desired.  I marvel that only the new 787 appears to have 'caught up to Airbus' in terms of fly by wire and some huge improvements like generator starters for the engines (no more bleed air)!

Some decry the automation of the 777 / 787, as 'boring'... somewhat "Buick-like".

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg