Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

DCS World and 32bit Vista OS?

After watching Froogle's latest video on DCS World, I decided to download and install it. Being a 9.7GB download It was a good test for my Verizon FIOS speed match upgrade (58Mbs down/58Mbs Up) I got a sustained 7MBS download speed and downloaded the file in 25min flat, Yippee!! Half way though the download I remembered DCS went 64bit only. As my system still runs on 32bit Vista OS (Don't ask :lol:) I assumed it wouldn't work, but I let it finish anyway. To my surprise though it fired up like a charm, and was flying in no time. As my system is only a 3Ghz E6850 C2D system, I was also pleasantly surprised at the performance! It was butter smooth. Not sure why it works on a 32bit OS, when it's suppose to be 64bit only but it does on my system!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Cool & good for you!

Yeah, it is good for me! I didn't think I would get the chance to try this sim out, which performance wise is the smoothest I've seen in the history of Flight sims, and that's on a lowly 3Ghz C2D system. If this sim though is 64bit as stated then I shouldn't be able to run it. So it's obviously still a 32bit Application. That means one or 2 things. Either they never changed it to 64bit, and just don't officially support 32bit OS's due to potential VAS issues, similar to the PMDG T7. Or they thought they converted it to 64 bit, but it actually still 32bit. In either case I think people may think it's 64bit, when it's not, subject to the same 4GB VAS limit. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Yeah it sure sounds strange, I always thought it's a 64bit, you could try the DCS forums to get an definitive answer to this.

When I open task manager, it doesn't show *32 at DCS process which should indicate 32bit process. Are you sure you don't run 64bit OS?

Yep, weird indeed?

Until mid 2013 there were two executables, and the launcher chose the right one whenever you started DCS World, but I thought it was now 64 bit only????

Anyway, did you try the t51d? BEAUTIFUL!!!! Everything - FDM, graphics.... Well, together with Aerowinx PSX, DCS World, now also with the Fw190 D9, are my two flightsims, with X-plane 10 being used for the outside visuals in PSX :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

with X-plane 10 being used for the outside visuals in PSX :-)

Unfortunately, it's too expensive for me. How it works with X-plane? 

Unfortunately, it's too expensive for me. How it works with X-plane? 

Very acceptlably, using XView - even the rw slopes in XP10 are exported to PSX, so, when you land / takeoff / taxi on sloped surfaces, PSX reacts accordingly :-)

PSX, by it's own, is SUPERB!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Are you sure you don't run 64bit OS?

No definitely 32bit Vista!

Anyway, did you try the t51d? BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Sure did, it fly's real nice, and smooth!! Not sure though why they call it a TF-51D as the external model is a P-51D? A TF-51D would have a more bulbous canopy (Dual cockpit) and the tail would be higher.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

No definitely 32bit Vista!

Sure did, it fly's real nice, and smooth!! Not sure though why they call it a TF-51D as the external model is a P-51D? A TF-51D would have a more bulbous canopy (Dual cockpit) and the tail would be higher.

True, but it's nice anyway :-)

Above all, the flight dynamics, the engine modeling and overall systems modeling is superb, and way ahead of any alternative I ever used in FSX ( I do not even care to mention XP10 ....)

Main Simulation Rig:

True, but it's nice anyway :-)

Above all, the flight dynamics, the engine modeling and overall systems modeling is superb, and way ahead of any alternative I ever used in FSX ( I do not even care to mention XP10 ....)

As good as the DCS model is though, I still don't think it surpasses the A2A Mustang for system modeling.

Flight model is very similar and feels right, (Based on my Mustang flight), but the DCS graphic engine is smoother.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

I agree Tom, that in some aspects, namely the peculiarities of the Civil version with it's avionics, A2A's models more, but when it comes to the flight dynamics, and in particular the modeling of prop effects with all of the details DCS's FDM allows to model, and even the sophisticated engine modeling, I still find the DCS p51d way ahead of A2A's Civil p51d ( never had the military version ).

Main Simulation Rig:

I agree Tom, that in some aspects, namely the peculiarities of the Civil version with it's avionics, A2A's models more, but when it comes to the flight dynamics, and in particular the modeling of prop effects with all of the details DCS's FDM allows to model, and even the sophisticated engine modeling, I still find the DCS p51d way ahead of A2A's Civil p51d ( never had the military version ).

I don't have the civil A2A version only the military one, Although I think the only difference is the avionics not flight model. As I said flight model wise both models feel right and based on what I remember from my flight both flies close to the numbers for takeoff, climb, aerobatics (including stall speed), descent and landing.  So I think both flight models are well done. I would give DCS the edge, only because the graphic engine is smoother then FSX, not anything related to the A2A model itself. You inspired me to do a youtube video to replicate the maneuvers I performed on Crazy Horse (TF-51D). I do both the A2A model and DCS. One maneuver I especially would like to try is low speed handling just above stall speed turning using rudder only! I've done a video on this using the original A2A (Then Shockwave) model, but haven't yet with the Accusim Mustang. This is a video on how it looks for real

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Excellent video! Thx Tom!

Please give us feedback of trying that same maneuver in DCS.

Main Simulation Rig:

As I said flight model wise both models feel right and based on what I remember from my flight both flies close to the numbers for takeoff, climb, aerobatics (including stall speed), descent and landing.  So I think both flight models are well done.

I find the FDE completely different on the DCS P-51 compared to A2A, the later is much easier to fly in FSX. Are you using "real" model in DCS & have the "games mode" unchecked? just checking :wink: