Sign in to follow this  
soppie

Eureka! I found the cure for my periodic stutterfest problem (but not the cause)

Ever since 2.3 was released I've been plagued by intermittent stutter attacks. During testing I've been cruising along at 60+ fps but every few minutes they'd drop to single figures with severe stuttering. These attacks lasted between 1 and 10 seconds before things returned to normal. I'm not a pc expert and staring at the different screens in Task Manager gave me no clue as to what was causing this.

Anyway, today I thought I'd try playing with the affinity settings and in TM unchecked CPU 0 and also set Priority to High. I locked frames to 33 in p3d and set off flying. 4 hours later not a single stutter and I am now confident that I've fixed an issue that was driving me nuts! I can only guess that something runs on my pc once in a while and that was interfering with my cpu in a way that manifested itself with severe stuttering. Freeing up CPU 0 presumably gives that process the power it needs. I could be miles off with that analysis but no matter, I'm just so pleased to be able to enjoy p3d 2.3 at last.

I was also mainly able to fix my issues, I think, by setting the priority to real time.  I had the exact problem as you, and it seems to be mostly gone.

Hmmmm... interesting... exactly how does one change these settings?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

This sounds interesting, I have been banging on about micro stutters in P3D...it seems some see them some do not.

I will give this a try, the issue I see is the scenery is smooth then stutters then smooth...weird...still not sure though that it is linked to Vsynch problems...

Got to say If this is not going to get any fix or a fix can be found as much as I like P3d I will go back to FSX.

All the best

If setting the process priority to high or even real time cured a periodic stutter then the first thing I'd do is to check the process list for suspicious update demons or any applications that are running in the background and might download / process a significant amount of data at regular intervals.  Real time virus checking is notorious for that kind of stuff.

You could try this: while you're running P3d with process priority at normal turn off your internet (either by completely blocking every connection via firewall, turning off your router or wireless or what have you). If the stutters are gone you are one step closer to finding the culprit.  

Of course if you don't care there shouldn't be any problem at all running at high. I wouldn't go for real time because (while I really don't know how it's implemented in windows) that might lead to starvation of system processes. Probably wouldn't but there is a risk.

On my pc I use Game Booster.

It shuts down processes I don't need.

So no updating in the backgrounf when running P3D.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I locked frames to 33 in p3d and set off flying. 4 hours later not a single stutter and I am now confident that I've fixed an issue that was driving me nuts!

Maybe it was locking frame rates to 33 instead of your 60+ that solved the problem?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi GB, I'd tried every setting permutation you can think of as well as installing and uninstalling different addons to see if they impacted these occasional bursts of severe stuttering. The only thing that made any difference was changing the affinity setting in Task Manager and, touch wood, that hasnt just reduced the severity or the frequency, its totally eliminated them. Part of me wants to get to the bottom of the issue but I havent the necessary skills. I am intrigued by the suggestion above to disconnect from the internet but I think I'll resist and just get on with flying.

Setting the process priority to "real time" gave me sound problems within P3D v2 but setting it to "high" is fine.

Spirit

Hmmmm... interesting... exactly how does one change these settings?

AM and priority can be set in Task Manager. AM can be set in cfg-file too. The priority can be set when starting P3D v2 with this

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Prepar3d v2" /High "E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\prepar3d.exe"

Use a shortcut doing so.

Spirit

Yes that does work but on some machines/os's, it can affect addons. I had problems with my controls and saitek panels. This was before I moved to win 7. Maybe I will try again.

Bob

Yes that does work but on some machines/os's, it can affect addons. I had problems with my controls and saitek panels. This was before I moved to win 7. Maybe I will try again.

Bob

Hi Bob,

works well here on Windows 8.1 and with Logitech G940 controls but I always use FSUIPC4 to connect them.

Spirit

Hi! Soppie,

For me didn't fix... I continue having intermittent stutter attacks in my p3d v2.3. I tried to fix like you and I tried to use game booster like GSalden and nothing.

I don't know how to fix this.

I think that I will wait the v2.4 for fly again.

Best Regards,

JL :( 

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Hi! Soppie,

For me didn't fix... I continue having intermittent stutter attacks in my p3d v2.3. I tried to fix like you and I tried to use game booster like GSalden and nothing.

I don't know how to fix this.

Best Regards,

JL :( 

Don't be surprised, LM is still adamant that all cores should be used, (last I heard).

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Why do you think P3D v2.4 will solve your problem?

Spirit

Why do you think P3D v2.4 will solve your problem?

Spirit

I am expecting that LM will solve, because many people have this problem. I hope that will be fit it in v2.4.

JL

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |