Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Help from 4770k/4790k users with Nvidia Inspector

You should read the link I posted above as it answers all your questions on AA and Filtering.

I read it. Did I get it right? You are claiming SGSS does nothing in DX9? 

try it!

I have in the past, and it does work. I can't try it now cause I switched to AMD.

Hope you know SGSS is not really a transparency AA mode. It was supposed to, but a bugged driver applied it to the full scene, not only transparent textures. When NVidia fixed it in the next driver release people complained and they reverted it back to full scene.

http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

...DX9 is fundamentally different to DX10/DX11 by the way it handles the backgrounds of subimages. SGSSAA is a transparency mode setting of DX10 and DX11.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...DX9 is fundamentally different to DX10/DX11 by the way it handles the backgrounds of subimages. SGSSAA is a transparency mode setting of DX10 and DX11.

I'm not sure I follow, but I know you know your stuff.

That being said, SGSS is not a transparency mode for all I know (see my post above) so I don't think it matters if DX9, DX10 or DX11

There's one thing I know for sure, SGSS works in DX9 overriding the app settings in Inspector and the effect is too obvious to dismiss

There's one thing I know for sure, SGSS works in DX9 overriding the app settings in Inspector and the effect is too obvious to dismiss

I'm not seeing that. Post your setup if you can I'll go through it.

I'm not seeing that. Post your setup if you can I'll go through it.

Sorry, I can't. I'm on a AMD HD7950 now so no Inspector for me, but I have the screenshot with the config I used

inspectorUltimate.png

That was with a GTX580, the last Nvidia card I owned after a 480 & 460. Obviously 4xSGSS brought it to it's knees

Something I never got to figure out is how could 8xSGSS work too with 8xS since that's only 4 multisamples

...Nope cannot get DX9 AA to change with any of the Transparency settings and overrides or enhances.

...tried your settings exactly and changes to "Antialiasing - Transparency" make no difference. However, changing "Antialiasing - Setting" has a marked effect.

...Nope cannot get DX9 AA to change with any of the Transparency settings and overrides or enhances.

...tried your settings exactly and changes to Antialiasing - Transparency make no difference. However, changing Antialiasing - Setting has a marked effect.

Do you have the AA box ticked in FSX? I know it's counterintuitive when overriding, but some need to have it checked for AA to work properly

Well, I tried again with AA set off and on in the sim display settings, no AA changes at all with any transparency setting.

...well i'm going back to DX10 now. :D

Well, I tried again with AA set off and on in the sim display settings, no AA changes at all with any transparency setting.

...well i'm going back to DX10 now. :D

Well Steve, definitely there's something wrong on your end. Believe me, I'm 100% sure it works. Word Not Allowed did plenty GPU tests too, using SGSS in DX9 to compare performance in clouds and the differences between modes were huge as expected.

http://#####.wordpress.com/fsxp3d-gpu-comparison-aka-gtx-titan-for-fsx-test/

I don't think so. DX9 does not use the transparency modes of DX10 and DX11. Have you noticed there are some addons that appear white in DX10 FSX? That's a clue to the well understood reasons for your dilemma.

I will add my voice to saying that sgss works in dx9.

Why we need to have this discussion every few months, I do not know..

Bert

I don't think so. DX9 does not use the transparency modes of DX10 and DX11.

Again Steve, SGSS (as set in Inspector) is NOT a transparency AA mode. I'll paste the link again http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

Have you noticed there are some addons that appear white in DX10 FSX? That's a clue to the well understood reasons for your dilemma.

I'm DX9 only, but the times I've tried DX10, I haven't noticed any of that

I will add my voice to saying that sgss works in dx9.

Why we need to have this discussion every few months, I do not know..

First time for me Bert  :blush:

I'll add a link to a thread with a petition to Nvidia to add SGSS comp bits to DX11 games like they have in DX9

please post in this thread if you support the request for DirectX 11 driver anti-aliasing profiles like they do exist for DirectX 9.

[...] In DX9 applications the Nvidia driver provides lots of AA profiles that often make nice AA (especially SGSSAA) possible

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544701/geforce-drivers/petition-for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/1/

hehe! :lol:  no amount of heckling will make SGSSAA work in DX9.