Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Help from 4770k/4790k users with Nvidia Inspector

With waht you have you should be able to use usepools=0. Graphic spikes generally is caused by graphics overload, you will have to drop your scenry sliders a notch. Outside of that FSX is an old product, limited to 4 gig of useable ram,  it will never be perfrect and probally never give you what you want. You simply have to learn to enjoy what you get or you will be chasing your tail forever.Outside of that you can try DX10 and see what it gives you, though it can add more headaches.

...I can imagine several now trying different settings of Transparency for the first time in FSX DX9 (or not) and amazed and aghast, no changes can be observed whatever combinations are chosen. :D

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...I can imagine several now trying different settings of Transparency for the first time in FSX DX9 (or not) and amazed and aghast, no changes can be observed whatever combinations are chosen. :D

Seriously Steve. This claim of yours that SGSS doesn't work in DX9 is easily the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in Avsim. It's not even an FSX/P3D thing. People have been using SGSS in all kind of Dx9 games for years.

I'll just post the first link google came up with and call it a day

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3203032

I too recall using 2xSGSS with DX9 with noticable results. Way back when (2011?), even NickN (the noted grumpy diehard DX9 FSX guru) suggested using it.  I remember too that for DX9, 4xSGSS was the 100% shimmer cleaner but so hammered performance that using it was of no value.  But those days for me are long gone since the time the DX10 shaders got fixed.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Best thing is to try it for yourselves, I wasted all afternoon trying to get it to work. It's easily one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in AVSIM.

I will add my voice to saying that sgss works in dx9.

:Shocked:

Have you noticed there are some addons that appear white in DX10 FSX? That's a clue to the well understood reasons for your dilemma.

He%20He.gif

I did check out the link back when you posted it, but it only added to my confusion as you can see by the current argument.

I have been looking into switching to DX10 but cannot see any benefit as well, as it would just add a bunch of more work and tweaking to make the change. What would the benefit be?

I am currently using 8xQS and 2x SGSS with anisotropic filtering set to application controlled and on in FSX. I also got rid of all .cfg tweaks except for LOD 5.5, bandwith=120. Got rid of affinity mask and turned hyperthreading off. Also overclocked to 4.4ghz and seems to be running better steady FPS but stutters here and there which are annoying.

as far as picture quality I guess it's as good as it's gonna get I'm considering getting a GX780 since they're so cheap.

I did check out the link back when you posted it, but it only added to my confusion as you can see by the current argument.

Ignore them, they know not of what they speak. And I found myself booting up FSX in DX9 mode about 230 times, I can't see why they have not tried it.

I am currently using 8xQS and 2x SGSS

I would say 8xS looks better combined with SGSS as it's 4x multisampling vs 2x in 8xQS. Then let SGSS  take care of supersampling

The fact is Sparse Grid is an AA algorithm not restricted to D3D, OGL, or any kind of graphics platform, it's just a technique. I've written several of my own which can be witnessed in operation within my own commercial apps. That's probably where the assumption arose that SG might work with FSX in DX9 mode, it doesn't. Sparse Grid may sound technical and powerful, and perhaps is the bees knees when it comes to AA but it's not, it's just a technique that uses a sparse sample, a sample that effectively reduces the resolution of the source. My document attempts to break down the components into easily understood items and simply present the facts. Facts that withstand scrutiny, repeatability, and rigour. Facts that can be tested in minutes. There's no mystery or lack of science in it. I've not provided the information to dispel myths, it's primarily for my clients and anyone else that's interested. I'm pleased to say I've had grateful feedback in the past and again today - thank you.

The fact is Sparse Grid is an AA algorithm not restricted to D3D, OGL, or any kind of graphics platform, it's just a technique. I've written several of my own which can be witnessed in operation within my own commercial apps. That's probably where the assumption arose that SG might work with FSX in DX9 mode, it doesn't. Sparse Grid may sound technical and powerful, and perhaps is the bees knees when it comes to AA but it's not, it's just a technique that uses a sparse sample, a sample that effectively reduces the resolution of the source. My document attempts to break down the components into easily understood items and simply present the facts. Facts that withstand scrutiny, repeatability, and rigour. Facts that can be tested in minutes. There's no mystery or lack of science in it. I've not provided the information to dispel myths, it's primarily for my clients and anyone else that's interested. I'm pleased to say I've had grateful feedback in the past and again today - thank you.

You solved many, if not all the main issues in DX10 & FSX. That alone tells me you are not just anybody talking out of his rear end.

But still, you got a number of members here post it works for them, I provided a few links to prove my point, it really is beyond me how someone like you can maintain what I would compare to claiming the earth is flat.

Can I please ask you to post some more technical explanation or link me to it, as to why you think SGSSAA can't work in DX9?

I'm a software engineer and even if graphics and stuff is not my field, I'd be willing to check it out if you don't mind

You solved many, if not all the main issues in DX10 & FSX. That alone tells me you are not just anybody talking out of his rear end.

You've got the wrong Steve  :wink:   I'm using DX10 now, but when I was using 9 I can say for sure SGSS works in DX9.  Maybe it's not just working on transparent textures, but it definitely works.  I have seen it clean up jagged line in aircraft textures and also get rid of the horrible shimmering that is present in some VC's.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

You've got the wrong Steve

llullz  :blush:

If you've got an AMD then it may prove different, I've not checked.

But for those that have the NVidia cards why not not simply load up FSX and try it. Set it up nice, then make adjustments to the Transparent settings. Setting one little tiddly thing in NI and running up FSX.

How hard can that be?

I spent all afternoon (with others) trying everything and none of the Transparent settings worked, whatever the other settings were. So if you have FSX and NVidia go right ahead and give it a shot. Let me know your setup we will repeat it here.

Let's have a setup guys. Posting all kinds of links and all the big-man talk solves nothing. We want to see it happen here. We want to observe a change in AA for a change to "Antialiasing - Transparency".

You've got the wrong Steve

The real Steve to thank for DX10 is Steve Parsons, aka SteveFX!

You guys may remember he was very busy around the time Orbx introduced Global. People were getting anxious to get hold of the shader fix for the lights in DX10, since the payware DX10 fixer wasn't available. I've not had a chance to say this, but I'm extremely grateful to Steve for allowing me to code the updates to the shader release from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3. It's an honour in the FS world to have been given permission to provide that update.

If you've got an AMD then it may prove different, I've not checked.

But for those that have the NVidia cards why not not simply load up FSX and try it. Set it up nice, then make adjustments to the Transparent settings. Setting one little tiddly thing in NI and running up FSX.

How hard can that be?

I spent all afternoon (with others) trying everything and none of the Transparent settings worked, whatever the other settings were. So if you have FSX and NVidia go right ahead and give it a shot. Let me know your setup we will repeat it here.

Let's have a setup guys. Posting all kinds of links and all the big-man talk solves nothing. We want to see it happen here. We want to observe a change in AA for a change to "Antialiasing - Transparency".

Dude, I already told you I used to run Nvidia cards and like everyone else in this thread so far SGSS worked just fine from 2x to 8x and I could easily tell the difference between each level in both visuals and perf hit. I currently run 4xSSAA in my 7950 which (with Bojote's shader 3.0 mod) looks and performs close to what 4xSGSS did with Nvidia cards.

You're fighting the whole interweb here. I provided links proving people been using SGSS in DX9 games for years.

Can I please insist on the tech background behind your theory?