Well, I pulled the ripcord on a high-resolution 2560x1440 display, an ASUS PB278Q 27" monitor. Only a minor increase in size from my previous 23" monitor, but I was hoping the extra resolution would be good.

My first impression when I fired up the Legacy at my default airport was "meh" - the view was moderately more expansive, but nothing earth shattering. However, after I started looking around, and noticed that the instruments were rock steady and dead clear, the airport fencing was totally crisp, and say, I don't remember that Lear parked next to me looking so sharp before, my impression turned to hmmmmm.

Took my first flight, and as the Internet meme goes, ermahgerd! The sense of "seeing" is phenomenal. You just see things, versus trying to make them out. Auto gen? Crisp and clear. Orbx vector lights? Awesome! Things way in the distance, they have texture (auto-gen popping is slightly worse, if anything, but it looks so damn good I don't seem to mind). And those aircraft 5 miles out that have the red labels - now I can see them! Couple of pixels wide, but I can still see them.

One of the best 500 bucks I have spent on my rig, by far (of course, the previous 500 bucks into a GTX 780 probably helped). 

The only "blemish" as this point is that terrain can be blurry down low. But I think I can back off some of the SGSS settings in Nvidia Inspector and regain that.

And, oh by the way, AVSIM web pages look fabulous!    :P

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Do you get any FPS reduction, or should I assume that there is - and is it noticeable?

I am looking at upgrading from my Samsung 1920x1200 24" to something...well bigger?

I was looking at the asus as above or the Benq BL3200pt, although that is slightly more pricier - and I may have to sit in a different room to use it!

Scott Stephens

Boeing777_Banner_pilot.jpg

Scott Stephens

ASUS PB278Q 27" monitor user also. I have been running it as is, right out of the box. Have you done any color calibration of it?

I know the feeling from when I upgraded from a 19in 1024x768 to my current 27in 16x10 at 1900x1200. Its like the blind getting sight.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I have been using an Asus PB278Q since January (bought it at the same time as a GTX780Ti).

Fantastic monitor. Only complaint being the settings out of the box were a little too harsh for my liking.

Here's a colour profile that I'm currently using:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98681027/asus_pb278q.icc

I'm using this with Brightness 33, Contrast 80, Saturation 50, Hue 50, Colour Temp 6500K, Gamma 2.2

With a GTX780Ti absolutely none at all.

I upgraded from a Dell 2707WFP (27", 1920x1200) to the Asus PB278Q and the higher resolution means higher pixel density (a bit less than 108 Pixels Per Inch), which means you don't necessarily have to go for crazy anti-aliasing settings to get a good image quality.

I'm sitting with my display a little over 2ft in front of me, and at 108PPI it means my eyes cannot resolve the individual pixels on the display. Pretty much what Apple was aiming for with their well known Retina displays.

Heya Nick, 

Thanks for the settings - I will take a look, as the screen is a bit too bright right now, and color saturation seems a little tepid. I was just so blown away when I first fired it up that I quickly went through four reference flights without calibration.

As for FPS, dunno. With the GTX780 AS I thought I saw a FPS reduction out of KTTD (that whole area is tough on frames), but once I got airborne I forgot all about it. Especially as I made the turn to final approach I looked starboard and "that is a way a city should look", with the Orbx freeware version of Portland nicely resolved in the distance. I do have to point out that I am a GA-only flyer, and my first flights were at 2500 feet or less.

Highly recommended - the added detail and the sense of "seeing" are great. It is like a veil has been lifted, and the distance resolves itself naturally. Very immersive, which is pretty much what I was looking for. The greater pixel density (and this is advice for Scott) really makes a difference. The monitor itself is only 4" wider [10 cm for our metric flyers   :P ], but it looks considerably bigger. Sitting far enough away that I cannot touch the screen without stretching, it is a nice wide expanse of visual eye candy.

Going to do some calibrations this morning, and then spend some time hopping around NCA before the chores. Later!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Yup, 2560X1440 rocks! I did the same about a month ago except went with a Samsung U28D590D (4K capable) 28" and cannot stand to look at 1920X1080 any longer. I notice very little performance loss with a GTX780 3GB card.

Have a good day,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I got the 27" dell ultrasharp a few years ago. Then it was regular price of $1200 and one weekend dell had a sale on it for $800...best $800 on a monitor I've ever spent and even though I got hammered for the price at the time it has been worth every cent. Recently I got several Earth Simulation sceneries (which I think out do even ORBX) when they had a sale and it is almost like being there....there's depth perception, a real sense of speed.....I believe the 2560x1440 contributes greatly to that.

Dave

would someone mind to share their NI settings using this resolution? I use 4x SGSSAA and it kills my frames. Mind i only have a GTX770. Other than that, 2560x1440 is a sweet resolution. I have a Yamakasi Catleap Q270SE S-IPS panel. 27". Had it for over 2 years and still love it. I recently calibrated it with a Spyder4 and wow.

Cheers.

Welcome to the 2560 club John! I would say though, and this is purely my own opinion, to anyone going for a 2560 display, then get the full potential from the extra resolution by getting hold of a 30" screen. But of course it will cost. So horses for courses.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Welcome to the 2560 club John! I would say though, and this is purely my own opinion, to anyone going for a 2560 display, then get the full potential from the extra resolution by getting hold of a 30" screen. But of course it will cost. So horses for courses.

Or a 32" screen...... :lol:  :P