Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Required textures for add-ons

There are a number of airport add-ons, marked as being OK for FS2004 even if they appear under FS2002, I would be interested in installing, but they are marked with the warning "Airport 2.xx, ASD, VOD, Nova, and Nova Gold Textures must be installed". I managed to find some of these at: http://www.simviation.com/fs2002utilities_ess1.htmbut the VOD textures, for instance, are marked as being for FS98 or earlier! Could someone kindly help me here - what are the latest versions of the above files, where do I find them (above URL best I've found so far) - and are they really all needed for FS9? (The airport 2.02 at the site marked above must be a very old version - I see references to v.2.10 too?).Thanks,Martin

Er, OK, found where to get the files!! It always seems to be the way that I search for ages for answers online , finally give up and post to all the gurus here - then find what I need immediately I've done so!Still a bit perplexed by the statement "For the scenery to display correctly you will need to have Airport 2.10+ , ASD, VOD, NOVA and NOVA GOLD textures installed in your main FS2004 texture folder. Most add-on 3rd party scenery requires these textures" though. Never come across it before today, and I have dozens of addons ...M. :-)

... and some of the textures I should apparently install from Flightsim are marked for FS5 (1997)! Very confused..

I have the zips on a CD and keep them for that basic/recommended list.I don't know the exact reason, but FS2004 still successfully reads and displays these textures.I'd assume the basic problem is that if all these textures had to be recreated and updated to a new format every time FS came out - the mapping of the textures might change.Not to mention the work required to update them and the real possibility that errors which would crash FS might creep into the textures.The textures are listed for FS5 because that is when they were created / released.

I feel for you...I recently tried to utilize an freeware upgrade for KOAK (oakland California) and the process with these textures and other 'required' files became so obtuse that I just gave up. Not to slam the developer, I am sure that it is good work, it was just beyond my personal limits to try to get it to work.good luck to you

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Yes, I felt that by the time I'd located and then added all these files to my main texture folders the effort (to get Adelaide Airport in this case) was probably not going to be worth it - especially when I thought I risked messing up my system with all those FS5 files!!I'm a bit sceptical too about the claim that most addon scenery textures require these files. I've not come across them before and I have dozens of scenery addons.Maybe when I have the time I might try again, as you say they work OK Reggie ...M.

A lot of folks have gotten good at using the older scenery tools. Unfortunately, most of the distribution statements require that the textures are not redistributed ecept in their original files. So, all author's can do is point to the location for these texture compilations.Most of these are in the old R8 format. Fortunately, FS9 still reads these, though the modern DXT3 or 32 bit BMP are probably preferred (for visual purposes).scott s..

There are a couple of essential practices, in my opinion, when dealing with textures.I NEVER let a default texture be overwritten, or any other texture I've placed in my main texture folders. I will rename the texture xxxxx.BMP.ORIG, etc.That way I can easily see what textures have been replaced.I use this concept with any file which wants to replace a default file.The other is to keep a change control log - mine is just a wordpad file I keep on my desktop - but each time I install something or change it - a note goes in that file.That way I can easily track back to see when I changed something.As far as the old R8 and nAF textures - they have been thoroughly tested by a LOT of people.There is no guarantee they will work with the next version, or even the next patch - if there is one.I've had problems with new textures - but never these old ones.Anyone remember the great looking railroad texture - which crashed FS2004?

I'm very good about backing up too - all my original textures that have been replaced are in separate 'bgx' folders - I also have copies of all the original installation folders, so overwriting files is not really all that hazardous.I alos keep a detailed log of how to reinstall FS9 - what's been changed and so on. I also keep copies of my scenery folder, addon scenery, aircraft, gauges folders etc. etc. and just overwrite the default folders after a reinstall. All works very well and makes things relatively quick and painless. As my new PC is apparently being delivered tomorrow, I shall be going through it all again within the next few days.I may go back and try installing these old files then and seeing if my Santiago and Adelaide airports work OK. Sure they will, from what you say!Martin

Guest Kingair315

If you do a Google or other search for the file you will probably come up with quite a few locations where you can find them. Ive been using them ever since they came out, and am amazed how well they still work.Those who have seen my messages for yearsKnow how addicted to the FS I've been....Now, I have another addiction which takes as much time !Between FS and this, it takes most every waking hour. Just Click this Link to see what I've done lately, Bobhttp://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsouthwestQ5fartist

You might also take a lok at flight sim manager 2.8 in the library. It has a texture set manager that allows you to designate a collection of texture files which it will zip up. Then you can install a set and the progam will unzip them to the correct locations. It has some predefined sets such as clouds that, once you install the program, you can select to backup all the default ones. It forces you into a certain way of dealing with addons which you may or may not like, but IMHO it's worth a look.scott s..

Well, the airports installed OK and now I found FS2004 AFCAD files for them (posted in the AVSIM library, though the airport files themselves were elsewhere!), they look fine, with my Ultimate Traffic all at the right gates.Who'd have thought that a file made for FS5 would still be useful in FS9!Martin