Sign in to follow this  
Brazen

KSNA runway renumbering

Changing just markings (numbers) of runways is no big deal and can be done in any of AFCAD editing tools like ADE, AFX, FSX Planner et al. But mind you that it won't change a magnetic course of runways which would require changing a magnetic declination around airport zone, which may be a PITA (see the docs for utilities provided here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html for details of issues). Surely, it's also possible to change magnetic courses in aforementioned afcad editors, but unless you're willing to fiddle w/ changing MD I'd presonally suggest to leave it alone.

At least I would want to change the course for the ILS, too. However, I'll take your advice and leave it alone. :)

Depends on how the scenery is designed. The simple ones can be done with one of the aforementioned airport design tools, but others require changing some scenery textures.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Is it easy to change for someone who's never created, nor modified a scenery before?

http://www.ocair.com/NewsRoom/News/2014/nr-2014-09-12.aspx

Oh no, you opened the proverbial "Can of Worms". KSNA has been a sore subject of mine forever and it seems no one can or will fix it. There is so much wrong with KSNA and I've lived 15 miles from it for over 30 years, kind of a pet of mine. There are a couple of freeware versions that aren't much better. Good luck.

At least I would want to change the course for the ILS, too.

I must correct my own post above. ILS localizer course and runway heading as displayed on charts, sim airport properties, navbases of 'flying calculators' (a/c w/ FMC) are magnetic. In afcad editors you can't change magnetic runway heading, only true one can be changed. But that is definitely not what you want -- runways obviously don't turn with magnetic pole shift. So, in this case you would want an updated table of magnetic variation data (see the link above).

You can start by picking up a freeware afcad (some of them are right in the local library) and try to experiment with an editor. Perhaps, in the end of the... you will come up with a full blown brilliant scenery! -)

Perhaps a bit too much purity here. I lived in Irvine (just off Trubuco between Yale and Jeffery) for 14 years up until 2010. I did some GA right seat time out of KSNA and was a pax on perhaps 100 commercial flights during my business career in that area. Over that time I recall only 2 or 3 approaches in IFR conditions. 95% of the approaches into KSNA were on 19R. The visual cues for that approach are profound.  Irvine Lake. Anaheim stadium and the Honda Pond. The 55 freeway, and the looming Tustin blimp hangars. It's a fact that no matter how much magnetic variation changes, those "feet on the ground" structures and the runway have not shifted one iota relative to each other. That is the predominate reality.

The magnetic variation is an issue with the simulation in general, not with individual airports.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere