Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Need help installing v2.3

I have tried to search the forums for this problem, but didn't get any returns. I have also posted this on the LM forum, but many times help from the AVSIM forum is faster. Here is my problem.

I had removed my v2.2 patched to v2.3 program and am trying to install a complete newly downloaded v2.3 program. I thought I had removed all the former files, but the installer says there is another version on the computer and tells me to remove it before it can install the new one. However when I look on my C drive, there is no P3D program showing. If I go to the control Panel Add/Remove feature, there is a Prepar3D v2 Academic showing and a Prepar3D v2 SDK 2.2.10437 showing. When I use the Uninstall feature to remove the Prepar3D v2 Academic program, I get a message about a minute running that says "Network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C;\Windows|Installer|Prepar3D.MSI" How can I correct this situation? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Howard

I had removed my v2.2 patched to v2.3 program and am trying to install a complete newly downloaded v2.3 program.

How did you do this? Did you do a proper deinstallation?

Spirit

Network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C;\Windows|Installer|Prepar3D.MSI"

Is this file present on your computer ?

If not put a copy there and try again...

If so ....

and you are sure you don't have any P3d files left on your computer....

MS has a fix for Add/Remove programs I don't remember the link but search for 'programs not installed, but still in installed programs list' or something like that...

Or if you feel froggy ...

Search your registry for "C:\Windows\Installer\Prepar3D" and or any reference to Prepar3D ... and remove them.... ( if you don't backup regularly... then by all means backup your registry first ... and it goes without saying make sure you know how to restore it ..

Or you can make a system restore point before you muck about with it...

Or realize that you just screwed up by manually deleting the program.

At this point you're going to have to work with Lockheed-Martin to fix your mess. Not only is your installation borked, but you locked your license as well.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did screw up and am paying for it now. Nothing works. I have sent an e mail to LM to see if they will help.

Thanks.

Howard

OK so here is the story ...

When you install apps... you get:

Files copied to your computer ... and registry entries concerning those files...

When you remove them both... your app is gone ....

The trick is knowing you have removed them all ...

It may take a little sleuthing, but it can be done...

Thanks, Jim, but I have run Agent Ransak, and CCleaner with no results, but maybe I have not used the right words on the search field. I used Lockheed Martin, Prepar3D, P3D. Other than those words, I don't know what words to look for.

Was the file listed in the error actually on your pc ?

c:\Windows|Installer|Prepar3D.MSI

You never reported about that... this is the easy way...

If it is missing copy it from your 2.2 install ...

Or simply reinstall 2.2 and then reboot and uninstall it again.

I don't think a reinstall is possible because of the licensing.

This really is best left to Lockheed-Martin to correct as only they know how to get him past his own folly.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I think Ed is right. I have tried everything including a forced removal using Revo Uninstaller and even that gets me the message to reinstall the program, but when I try to install my new 2.3 version, it tells me there is already a P3D installed and to delete it first. It is a loop situation. A Catch 22. I do not have the original 2.2 version I bought as I stupidly emptied the trash bin and deleted it from my downloads trying to free up space on my C Drive. I have sent an e mail to LM and am hoping they will respond.

Thanks.

Howard

You have searched the Registry for a License Key entry?

Dean, I don't know how to do that, but would try it if I had instructions.

I received a reply from LM to my e mail which basically said thanks for contacting us, but we do not respond to e mails. Please post the problem on the forum. There are plenty of knowledgeable people there who will help.

It also told me do make sure I had deleted some files, which I can not find. I don't know what is meant by the % mark found in the locations they gave me, such as:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

I am sorry that I am not more computer fluent, but computers were not invented yet when I went to school and did my real life flying back in the 50's and 60's, so many years ago. The only reason I have a computer is because I saw the original FS back in the 80's and bought one for that and I have been flying with FS ever since, but I have no training using  the computer other than what good people like you have taught me through the years here in our wonderful hobby.

I will try to follow any suggestions/instructions offered.

Thanks.

Howard

I don't know what is meant by the % mark found in the locations they gave me, such as:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

I'm happy to read that you've succeeded in getting v2.3 installed, but just for the sake of information, the tokens %PROGRAMDATA% and so forth are simply macro shortcuts that when typed in the Run Box* will check the Registry to find the actual path to the folders specified.

These %MACROS% are very useful, because depending on what operating system version you have installed, the actual paths will be different...

* Run Box is the empty "box" that appears in the bottom left corner when you click on the "Start" icon. If you highlight one of the four lines above, right-click and select Copy, then click on "Start" then right-click and Paste the text into the box, pressing the Enter key will open a Windows Explorer dialog so you can see the files in that folder.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator