Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

Interesting site for satellite views

Before anyone moves the thread as being non MSFS related, I want MSFS scenery developers to think about the potential this offers for scenery development.It takes patience, but now it is possible to stitch together a large, detailed sat. pic for major urban areas which can be processed by resample and turned into photoreal scenery. This process has always been available (I used it for a small test project I did for Phoenix), but navigating around Google's interface makes it much easier, or as easy as such a project could be.-JohnEdit: Nix this idea--Google places a faint watermark in the sat. images

Still a great idea John,How about using the USGS Urban areas available out of WorldWind 1.3? They don't cover the entire US, just major urban areas but are full color and 1 meter resolution. If you haven't seen NASA's free Worldwind 1.3 it's quite amazing.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

>>urban areas but are full color and 1 meter resolution. even better - they are 30 cm resolution.I totally agree about the World Wind 1.3 - probably the most exciting software I have on my PC.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Hi John,Here it is: http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/It's a 170 meg download and will take up about a gig on your hard drive but you probably won't be able to leave it alone for a good week or two, or three... or...I've looked at the Nazca lines, Iwo Jima, Mt. Fuji, all the Disneylands *:-* , every airport I've ever actually flown out of, many airports I want to fly in to, all the houses I've lived in... the list just drones on and on. You can't get up and leave... help!:-zhelp , it's another plot to drain our brains out thru the computer :-8 .Have fun,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

By the way, you can download the USGS Urban Area color aerials directly from http://seamless.usgs.gov/Unfortunately, the user interface is a little clumsy and the files are huge, but if you have some time you can get great quality aerials and from what I can tell they are royalty free. I got bored one weekend and downloaded the entire set for San Francisco bay area at about 2.5 m/p resolution. It's almost 6 gigs AFTER converting them to JPG from TIFF. I think it was 50 or 60 gigs originally :)Matt

Hi Matt,Thanks for that link. What I have considered doing... along with all my other projects :-roll , is to take these urban satellite shots and insert them as the ground scenery for a 3-5 mile circle around the airports I most frequent. There is a beautiful scenery done of Randolph AFB and surrounding area that gave me this idea. Now I know where to find the right shots. The time... if only I had a minion to work on all these ideas floating about in my head }( .Cheers,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888